Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Vent Mounting Experiences
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Vent Mounting Experiences

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
howlettg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Vent Mounting Experiences Reply with quote

I've just received the TomTom alternative mounting kit so that I can use the vent mount. This seemed ideal to me to avoid drilling holes in or permanently sticking black plastic things to the dashboard. Mounting it on the windscreen in a place where passengers can use it and it is safe means that it is too far away for easy access and viewing.

I haven't tried it yet but it looks like once I put it on the vent, it will be difficult to get off. One side of the clip has a hook on it and the spring mounted side is pretty stiff to move.

This will of course, ensure safe mounting of the GO, but I want to be able to move it easily between cars without damaging the vent or the mount.

I'd be grateful to hear of anyone's experiences of using vent mounts?

Thanks
Zaki
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased the alternative mount kit for the same reasons. The clip on vent clip broke when I tried to get it off, probably me being clumsy. I ended up using the swivel mount and made up a backing plate slid it behind the grill and secured with self tappers, Pleased with the result but it is permanent
sdclark
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the Alternate Mount Kit for my TTG500. I found the windscreen mount was getting in the way of my view of the far left corner of my LR Discovery's bonnet.

I use the airvent mount now. Make sure the little bracket on the mount is facing down so it keeps the TTG facing upwards before installing.
I found it goes on quite well, difficult to remove because of the strong clasps used, which is what you want really cos' you don't want it coming off while driving along.

I've attached my Ext.Antenna on the face plate with the little nut supplied, then slid that on to the vent mount.

I had to drive London to Ely and back yesterday, ideal test for it. I found it easier to read the screen, a lot closer. Also sound is probably better as it will reflect from the back on to the dashboard. I can still move the mount left and right, and also swivel the actual mount to face me.

Only had one problem, went over a road hump a few days ago at slow speed and the actual airvent came away from dash. Went back easy though, no damage. So far ok.

Here's what it looks like on my car.

(My TTG is also wearing the latest design sunshield by Stomp-Stomp. :D

Hope this helps you decide.

Steve Clark
howlettg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the review and picture. I'll have to wait until my wife brings the car home and see how strong the vents on my Renault Scenic are!

That's an interesting layout on your dashboard! My wife would never let me get away with all those wires.
Stanley_Tweedle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried the vent mount on the clio and found it could be carefully removed with a small screw driver just levering apart one side of the clip at a time, took about 30 seconds. With a bit of practice I'm sure I would get faster. I do have some very light scratches on the vent I think were the screw driver moved around.
For me the motivation is not to leave anything showing in the car; anti-scum measures!
sdclark
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fitted a multi-plug adapter to dash so I can plug in more than one item.

I've also got an Origin B2 Solo Safety Camera device, that sits on the right side of dash. Also got extra antenna for that which sits in the middle of dashboard.

The extra antenna for the TTG also sits in the middle of the dashboard.
That's why there's a lot of cables. Some are neatly tucked down between dash & windscreen. Short distance between TTG mount and power sockets leaves a large bundle of cable as you can see.
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: GO Mount Reply with quote

Hi

I hate those damn vent mounts - if you can get them off then they are loose, and if you get them on nice and tightly they are a sod to remove.

I've found that a converted camera swivel-mount works very well, and is compact and secure. I've attached a flat metal disc to the mount and use a magnetic dash disc from a mobile phone mount (available in most car accessory shops). These do stick on the dash, but they can be removed with a little methylated spirit and leaving no mark. The magnet is really powerful (and no, it doesn't interfere with the electronics!), and easily supports the GO, and I just lift the whole thing off when I want to. This one was originally for my Ipaq, but I found that it screws directly into the GO mount plate where the suction attachment used to go.

I didn't like leaving the suction mount on show when I leave the car - I think it advertises to a thief that you have a GPS device which may be still in the car

Cheers
Ted

PS I have some pics but I don't know how to put them in a message !! Any help on that would be appreciated.
Stanley_Tweedle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see those pics if possible; you could upload to some webspace then post the url of the pics.

I have PM'd you an email address - check your messages, if you email me the pics I will post them for you.
Stanley_Tweedle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are tedkay's swivel mount pictures. Thanks for letting us see them 8)

ColinBate
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: Car Mount Reply with quote

Have you checed out this site www.dashmount.co.uk they do mounts for different makes & models of car.

Regards
Colin Bate
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdclark wrote:
My TTG is also wearing the latest design sunshield by Stomp-Stomp.

Any comments on that - is it worth having?

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: