Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - upgrading uk only tomtom 3 to 5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

upgrading uk only tomtom 3 to 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viper
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: upgrading uk only tomtom 3 to 5 Reply with quote

Hi,

Can I upgrade to TomTom 5 from a uk only tomtom 3 and if yes is it possible just to install part of a country instead of the complete country or choose the area's of that county as I am short of space on my sd card.

Thank You

Steve
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: upgrading uk only tomtom 3 to 5 Reply with quote

Hi Viper,

Viper wrote:
Can I upgrade to TomTom 5 from a uk only tomtom 3?

Yes you can if you go to the TomTom website you can order the upgrade to TTNav 5, which comes with Maps of Western Europe for only €68.95 (€59.00 for the upgrade plus €9.95 post and packing). Here’s the link.

Viper wrote:
Is it possible just to install part of a country instead of the complete country or choose the area's of that county as I am short of space on my sd card.

No unfortunately it’s not possible. However storage cards are quite cheap these days so it’s a good excuse to buy a much larger card and also a card reader/writer if you haven’t already got one.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Viper
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for your reply Privateer,

I see you have copilot as well as I assume tomtom, forgive me if I am wrong.

Anyway I have copilot 5 with an european upgrade.

I am a bit disappointed in copilot 5 and the way it routes you sometimes a longer way than necessary as well as a lack of guidence and comprehensive voice commands in cities especially.

As I have heard tomtom is much better at routing and is much better at voice guidance especially in cities I have just bought a second hand tomtom 3 uk only but I haven't yet received it, I am thinking of upgrading straight way to tomtom 5 as I am going on holiday to france very shortly.

Can I ask which system do you think is better and easier for guidance. Am I right in saying tomtom in cities where you have multiple lanes tells you what lane you aught to be in?

Thank you for your help

Steve
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viper wrote:
I have just bought a second hand tomtom 3 uk only but I haven't yet received it, I am thinking of upgrading straight way to tomtom 5 as I am going on holiday to france very shortly.

I hope the peson you are buying it off has not already upgraded, if he has, it will not be possible to (legally) activate or upgrade.

Steve W.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

Yes I have TTNav (i.e. TomTom Navigator) and CoPilot. On the whole, I prefer TomTom because of its User Interface – it’s so intuitive to use. I found that CoPilot isn’t so easy to use. I only use CoPilot in the Channel Islands as CoPilot uses Navteq maps. However I do like the TTS (Text to Speech) that CoPilot uses.

Viper wrote:
I have just bought a second hand tomtom 3 uk only but I haven't yet received it, I am thinking of upgrading straight way to tomtom 5 as I am going on holiday to france very shortly.

Please tell me you bought your second hand TTNav 3 from a reputable source and not eBay! Have you bought a legitimate copy and have you bought a copy with a valid Product Code that hasn’t already been used to upgrade to TomTom Navigator 5?

TomTom will sometimes say which lane to be in (it depends on the map data) but no SatNav package is ever 100%. If you remember that these SatNav packages are a navigation aide and that the decision is always down to the driver then you’ll be OK.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Viper
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Privateer,

Unfortunately I have risked the purchase on ebay, as it was so cheap and money an issue.

He has upgraded the software from 3 to 3. point something but he hasen't upgraded to 5 yet, should I be okay to upgrade if this is a legal copy then?

I very much hope so.

Steve
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

I really don’t know. A lot of the TomTom Navigator software on eBay is pirated Rolling Eyes . I have to say that I think it is extremely unlikely that there are any genuine second hand copies of TomTom Navigator 3 on eBay, with a product code that has not be used to upgrade to TomTom Navigator 5. Sorry. Crying or Very sad

What makes it worse is even if the software and product code are genuine, if the product code has been used to upgrade to TomTom Navigator 5, then you won’t be able to use it to upgrade to TomTom Navigator 5 and TomTom will have blocked it so that it won’t even activate TomTom Navigator 3.

You might be lucky but don’t bank on it. Do you have the link to the eBay item?

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Viper
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check your PM Privateer

Thank again

Steve
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the PM. I’ve had a look at the link you sent me and my initial thoughts were that I still had serious doubts. The price you paid for it was extremely low! The sparse description doesn’t really give much away (if it’s genuine then the seller should be shouting from the rooftop that it is genuine). You’re also getting speed cameras POIs (most likely our free PocketGPSWorld ones).

I am a natural born sceptic so I don’t trust eBay goods. I checked the seller’s feedback and other items that are currently for sale and also for ones that have been sold. I can see no other TomTom items so it may be genuine after all.

You should receive your eBay item today (Thursday 18 August 2005). The software should come on a printed TomTom CD in a CD box with the product code on a sticky label on the inside of the CD box.

If you do get a product code you can check it with the following website:
http://www.ttcode.com

If you get the following message, then the product code has be used to upgrade to TTNav5:
"***** ***** *****" is a correct product code for TomTom Navigator Great Britain.
This product can no longer be activated.

Please let us know the outcome.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Viper
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Privateer,

As yet it hasn't come I am expecting it to arrive tomorrow as our post is always late.

Your reason's for you give for thinking it could still be genuine software were exactly what I thought. So for the money it was well worth the risk, that's what I thought anyway.

Can I ask you which out of the two systems do you think gives the best road coverage abroad, copilot 5 or tomtom 5?

I will certainly let you know the outcome when I receive it and thank you for your help.

Steve
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

Viper wrote:
Can I ask you which out of the two systems do you think gives the best road coverage abroad, copilot 5 or tomtom 5?

I really don’t know and I’ll leave that question to somebody else on this forum, as the furthest I’ve taken a SatNav system is Jersey in the Channel Islands, see the report here.

Good luck with your TomTom Navigator 3, if it is genuine and if the product code hasn’t been used to upgrade to TTNav 5 then you will legitimately get some extremely cheap maps of Western Europe.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Viper
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Privateer,

Unfortunately I have been stung, it is a pirate copy with a activation code generator sent out with it.

Oh well

Steve
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

I’m sorry to hear that you’ve been stung. I suggest that you contact the seller and ask for a full refund, as it’s not genuine.

The seller has already left you positive feedback. If the seller doesn’t give you a full refund then give them a negative feedback to warn others.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: