Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - eBay and Other Sites Offering Our Safety Camera Database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

eBay and Other Sites Offering Our Safety Camera Database
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An add on eBay could be something like the following;

The PocketGPSWorld FREE Safety Camera files

It has been bought to our attention that many sellers here on eBay are selling our CopyRighted Safety Camera files.

These files are available for FREE from our web site at

link

To help customers here at eBay not to be misled by other sellers we have provided this add ourself so that you now have the opportunity to get this information for

FREE

Any body wishing to make a donation to the web site in order to help us maintain our Safety Camera files which are updated at the end of each month may do so here on eBay or at our web site by using either the
Buy Now option here or the Donate PayPal link on our web site.

Using the Buy Now option at eBay you will enable us to keep this add here and let people know that these files are FREE.

By visiting our web site you will be able to find not only the free Safety Camers files but also many other free downloads and also join our very large GPS forum that has over 20 thousand members and covers the hole spectrum of GPS use.

A Buy Now option could charge just a £1.00 fee to cover costs on eBay.
superseagulls
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, I agree that those people selling the Database are scum, as are those who are selling ANY cracked / warez software - you name it it's on ebay.... BUT if you are going to stop people trading a free data base, that is the copyright of this site, maybe you should crack down on those offering other peoples copyrighted items within THIS site??
I tend to only read the TomTom Navigator sub forum, but there are daily requests and offers to swap voice files (John Cleese - Copyright TomTom 2005 perhaps?) that are clearly hacked / warez versions as TomTom locked them to the purchased system. This is just one example, it probably wouldn't take to long to find a few more examples...........
People in glass houses and all that...........
Superten
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.motorsportpromotion.com/gsdnavigation.shtml

Not sure what database they offer but they do offer one pre-installed as a sales incentive.
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much effort is required to support the selling of the safety camera database on eBay?

It seems to me that there will always someone out there trying to profit from other people's work so why not try to undersell them as Darren suggested. If PocketGPSWorld sells the database on eBay then at least there should be some money coming into the coffers.

The database could still be distributed FREE from the website as at present.

Richard
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggestions:

Change your terms and conditions to set down a (high) fee for unauthorised linking to/use of your data. Employ a 'No win no fee' company to persue claims, and use the money raised to support the site.

Make a prominent display - along the lines that this data is free, and that if you are charged for either the information or a link to it you have been ripped off!

Only allow linking to the database via the route you determine - ie via your home page so that you can control the messages/information displayed.

Replace any pages that others are being/have been used to access the data, with a screen highlighting the 'con', but give details on how to get to this site. You could, if you were feeling inclined even provide a link to this site's homepage for them, along with a feedback option for 'reporting' who had charged them/claimed it as their own work so you could pass it on to the 'No win no fee' company.

Learn to live with the fact that you will always have a certain level of unauthorised use, and be satisied once you have been able to reduce it to a low level - ie don't become obsessed with eliminating it totally/maximising your income from claims (I am not suggesting that you have - just warning againt the dangers of becoming so - it is vey difficult to put a value on reputation!)
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichXDA2 wrote:
I agree with TopcaTT. I think the only way to beat these leeches is to charge a nominal subscription fee. This could be linked to a subscription service where you can only download the database from PocketGPSWorld. Another possibility would be to only allow downloads if you are a registered PocketGPSWorld user!

This is one of the things that we are currently working on. As well as upgrading our entire POI system. The problem is that it takes time and effort. Hopefully we will be releasing a pilot scheme in the next few weeks.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocketgps wrote:
An add on eBay could be something like the following;

The PocketGPSWorld FREE Safety Camera files

It has been bought to our attention that many sellers here on eBay are selling our CopyRighted Safety Camera files.

These files are available for FREE from our web site at

link

To help customers here at eBay not to be misled by other sellers we have provided this add ourself so that you now have the opportunity to get this information for

FREE

Any body wishing to make a donation to the web site in order to help us maintain our Safety Camera files which are updated at the end of each month may do so here on eBay or at our web site by using either the
Buy Now option here or the Donate PayPal link on our web site.

Using the Buy Now option at eBay you will enable us to keep this add here and let people know that these files are FREE.

By visiting our web site you will be able to find not only the free Safety Camers files but also many other free downloads and also join our very large GPS forum that has over 20 thousand members and covers the hole spectrum of GPS use.

A Buy Now option could charge just a £1.00 fee to cover costs on eBay.

Strangely the eBay rules stop you from doing that. You are not allowed to post links to free stuff. That sort of cuts off their revenue stream.
trebor808
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: ebay auctions Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I have just fell foul of this scam and have 'purchased' the link to this site. Fortunately, it was just 99p so not the end of the world, but annoyed just the same. :x
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: ebay auctions Reply with quote

trebor808 wrote:
Unfortunately, I have just fell foul of this scam and have 'purchased' the link to this site. Fortunately, it was just 99p so not the end of the world, but annoyed just the same. :x
I hope you posted some negative feedback for this seller.
trebor808
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem is that I will then receive the same from the seller. Any suggestions?
jediemperor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For you to reports

Item number: 5801780427
Item number: 5800915579
Item number: 5800915641
Item number: 5800915728
Item number: 5800915779
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldie wrote:
How much effort is required to support the selling of the safety camera database on eBay?

It seems to me that there will always someone out there trying to profit from other people's work so why not try to undersell them as Darren suggested. If PocketGPSWorld sells the database on eBay then at least there should be some money coming into the coffers.

The database could still be distributed FREE from the website as at present.

Richard

I'm leaning towards this idea using a Buy It Now of £1.00 with clear links to where it can be had for Free or pay £1 and get it emailed to you.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superseagulls wrote:
Now, I agree that those people selling the Database are scum, as are those who are selling ANY cracked / warez software - you name it it's on ebay.... BUT if you are going to stop people trading a free data base, that is the copyright of this site, maybe you should crack down on those offering other peoples copyrighted items within THIS site??
I tend to only read the TomTom Navigator sub forum, but there are daily requests and offers to swap voice files (John Cleese - Copyright TomTom 2005 perhaps?) that are clearly hacked / warez versions as TomTom locked them to the purchased system. This is just one example, it probably wouldn't take to long to find a few more examples...........
People in glass houses and all that...........

We always act when we see offers or requests for pirated software or discussions of such. I'll investigate as I hadn't spotted the Voices threads, if you have links I'll stop it.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jediemperor wrote:
For you to reports

Item number: 5801780427
Item number: 5800915579
Item number: 5800915641
Item number: 5800915728
Item number: 5800915779

Done
superseagulls
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more.....

I love some of the justification - "back Up" , "works like a retail copy" "note to ebay this is all in the public domain" - Translation; "I'm a thieving rip off merchant..."

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 6 of 34

Jump to: