Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help before I buy a c320 please!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help before I buy a c320 please!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnkath
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Help before I buy a c320 please! Reply with quote

I am about to buy a c320 but would like one or two queries i have answered please.

1. If I a plan a route, ie from home to a place in London, is it possible to insist I go down a particular road if I want to?

2. If a route is entered wrongly is it easy to delete it?

3. If the POI file is loaded is that kept on the SD card or in a memory within the c320.

4. Can you load the maps from the disk straight onto the SD card in your computer or do you have to attach the Garmin?

5. Can you copy SD cards to use as a back up?

As you can probably tell I am new to Sat Nav so your help would be invaluable, I hope to get the c320 next week. I take it downloading the POI file etc from the Garmin site is OK and that I can then load a Traf Cam POI file easily. Suggestions of where to get the best one would be appreciated as well.

Many thanks for your help!

John 8)
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: c320 Reply with quote

Hi, although I am new to the c320 I've been using it for few weeks now and the answers to you questions (as far as I can tell) are:
1) NO (but you can choose type of road to avoid)
2) YES
3) SD Card
4) You have to attach the Garmin (I think) to be able to use the maps software and transfer you maps to the device.
5) Yes you can.

An yes, it is fairly easy to download the POI loader from Garmin's website and use it to upload the speed camera database. It may also be easier to use the overlay software available through this website in conjunction with the map source software of the Garmin (it transforms the database into an actual transparent map of the speed cameras that you can add like any other map to your Garmin).
Finally, I got mine from Amazon.co.uk
I hope you find this helpful.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Help before I buy a c320 please! Reply with quote

johnkath wrote:
1. If I a plan a route, ie from home to a place in London, is it possible to insist I go down a particular road if I want to?

Sorry to contradict Almahadeus, but it is easy to route down a particular road by adding a "Via point" on that road. 8)

You can add multiple via points and they are generally used if you need to make multiple stops on your trip.
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Via points Reply with quote

Thank Skippy for the clarification. Would it be OK if I ask how you could set these via points on the c320. Thanks in advance for your help.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Via points Reply with quote

Almahadeus wrote:
Would it be OK if I ask how you could set these via points on the c320.

Hmm, just looked at the manual. It looks like you are right and I am wrong, there doesn't seem to be a Via Point feature on this model. Embarassed

That's pretty bad of Garmin, all the other units I have used have been able to do via points. They seem to have stripped a lot of what I considered to be standard features out of the c320. Crying or Very sad
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: c320 Reply with quote

Thanks Skippy. The c-series is actually meant to be (very) easy to use and therefore appear to have limited but straight forward features to play with compared to the previous models. I remember the user manual for my old Garmin V and that was a real nightmare to go through.
rossb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, you are right Skippy, the C320 has lost some good functionality from previous models. I used to have a SPIII.

Things lost include:
Via points, multiple routes, satellite lock screen, PC based route planning
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: c320 Reply with quote

You are right rossb but it has gained a lot as well: Super user-friendly, excellent (touch) screen and design and superfast recalculation time which would be of great help if you want to navigate through certain points or routes and ignore some of its route planning. This is not to mention the Lithium-ion battery and the flexible memory that wasn't available for older models.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bit disappointing that they are dumbing down their GPS systems. I can see that a lot of people aren't that geeky and don't care about some of the features but no satellite lock screen! Sad

Moving from the GPS-V to the Quest they have moved the satellite screen so it's harder to get to. I think they should display it when you first switch on so you can see what progress it is making towards getting a good lock, rather than hiding it away.

Sure, you can get a fix with 4 sats, but it's usually worth checking which sats are visible and wait until it has most or all of them locked because it gives you more reliable navigation.
macnoodle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I want to see the satellite screen, I just switch on my (original) eTrex! :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: