Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Three US English voice prompts released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Three US English voice prompts released

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StephenP
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Three US English voice prompts released Reply with quote

Lori, Richard and Bonnie:

http://www.tomtom.com/products/platform/extra_info.php?ID=31&Language=1&Extra_Page=20#voi

Golfer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Three US English voice prompts released Reply with quote

I've tried the new voice, and it's better than the default English one (less harsh!). However, being US based it obviously uses phrases like rotary as opposed to roundabout. This is because it is aimed the US market and therefore should be this way.

Having installed the alternative voice, how do you re-set to the previous English version? Or is there a better English voice version other than the default?

Cheers

bobnuts1
Occasional Visitor

Golfer,

Just tried the US female voice and I think I prefer the original but harsh "English" voice.

So have just worked out after a lot of pratting about that you have to rerun the setup from the TTNV2 CD choose the change voice prompts option select English and follow the remaining prompts.

Right then who would like to create a set of nice English Rose voice prompts ?

HTH

Richard
Golfer
Regular Visitor

Thanks bobnuts1. I'm now back to the 'school teacher' English voice. I agree, that some better UK English voices would be good. I'm surprised that there aren't any.
Davidb67
Regular Visitor

Forget "English Rose", what we REALLY need for some light-hearted relief from the continuing decline of the state of our roads, is "comedy voice-sets"!!!

Just think, take the wrong road, and you have Tommy Cooper telling you "not like that, just like that", or John Cleese's sarcasm,

Jack Dee's droll,

It'd be a hoot!!!
desgb
Occasional Visitor

OK,

Seriously, why three voice sets for the U.S., and only one for the UK? Come on TomTom! What about it?

Regards

Des
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

I'm surprised that when TomTom recorded these sets, they didn't make recordings of "roundabout" instead of "rotary", so that they could have released them in both UK English and US English. OK - so the accent would probably have been American, but there would have been alternatives to the only UK English voice set.

I think "roundabout" instead of "rotary" is the only difference likely to be in the voice prompts - other differences between UK and US English (car / automobile, petrol / gasoline) aren't in the voice prompts to my recollection.

David
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

There are some more differences (like Highway instead of Motorway). Best of all, the numbers have a very dedicated american accent. Not Eighty, but "aidie". Kinda cute. By the way, the best voice of the three is USAC (called computer voice for no apparent reason).

If you want to occasionally switch between voices then you may want to familiarize yourself with a registry editor. As long as the voices are all in differnt directories (hint: move them out of the way after installation) you can quickly point TomTom to use one or the other vioce.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Dannyboy
Occasional Visitor

I have been searching for a different voice for ages. I can't believe no one has made some.

I actually got my girlfriend to make me a sexy sounding one for the speedcam POI.

30 second warning was "Speed camera approaching"

20 second warning was "Slow down you idiot"

10 second warning was "Thats it... any more points and I'm leaving"

Only kidding but I did get her to do the first one and it sounds great. I'd love her to do the full set but we could'nt stop giggling whilst recording it.

On a similar note I found a police siren wav file to use for the 10 second speedcam POI.
aero
Regular Visitor

<proud father mode on>

My young kids scream a warning at me when approaching a speed cam.

Always makes me smile.

<proud father mode off>

Chortle

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: