Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What's th best hardware to have for Using tomtom Nav?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What's th best hardware to have for Using tomtom Nav?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simonkirkland
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: What's th best hardware to have for Using tomtom Nav? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I will to have tomtom Navigator 5 or tomtom mobile 5 and was wondering if anyone had any opinions on which hardware to get to best run this software?

Thanks

Simon
colinho
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As somebody who spent hours trying to get a Co-Pilot (Emtec) BT GPS receiver to work with TT5 on an Ipaq 3970, (eventually dropping back to an old CF teletype receiver)I can tell you that I got so fed-up, I bought an ipaq 4700 and the Globalsat BT338 receiver. I also treated myself to a Sony P910i .... and TT5 works like a dream. TTFF is measured in blinks, not seconds, signal strength is full 5 bars almost 100%, traffic is spot-on.
Hope this helps
Colin[/quote]
TazUk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: What's th best hardware to have for Using tomtom Nav? Reply with quote

simonkirkland wrote:
I will to have tomtom Navigator 5 or tomtom mobile 5 and was wondering if anyone had any opinions on which hardware to get to best run this software?

That depends, do you want a PDA or Smartphone?, will you be using it solely for GPS, if not what else will you be using it for?

For my needs the Palm Treo 650 was the best choice and it's been running TTN5 for a few months now quite happily :D
Tonino
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What's th best hardware to have for Using tomtom Nav? Reply with quote

TazUk wrote:
For my needs the Palm Treo 650 was the best choice and it's been running TTN5 for a few months now quite happily :D

TazUK,
can I ask you what kind of receiver do you use with the Treo?
How did you choose it and why?
I'm planning to equip my Treo for navigation and I'm considering whether buying the TomTom Bluetooth bundle or only the sw from TT and a different receiver of another brand.

Do you have any suggestion for me?

Thanks

Tonino
Metoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: What's th best hardware to have for Using tomtom Nav? Reply with quote

I use a Navman 4100 with the Treo 650 which works OK, if a little slow (but that's TTN5's fault, not the hardware).
The _big_ drawback I've found with the Treo (and PalmOS) is that it's not fully multitasking, so if you get an SMS or phone call whilst driving that takes priority. To get back to TomTom you have to go back to the launcher and restart it, which then starts again from where you left off (after renegotiating the GPS receiver). Not much fun if a text comes in at the wrong moment! The only way to avoid this is to turn the phone off while driving, which completely negates the advantage of having a smartphone. You get no such troubles on a PPC device (e.g. the iMate Jam) as TomTom keeps running while you handle the text or phone call (or play your MP3s!)
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What's th best hardware to have for Using tomtom Nav? Reply with quote

Metoo wrote:
I use a Navman 4100 with the Treo 650 which works OK, if a little slow (but that's TTN5's fault, not the hardware).
The _big_ drawback I've found with the Treo (and PalmOS) is that it's not fully multitasking, so if you get an SMS or phone call whilst driving that takes priority. To get back to TomTom you have to go back to the launcher and restart it, which then starts again from where you left off (after renegotiating the GPS receiver). Not much fun if a text comes in at the wrong moment! The only way to avoid this is to turn the phone off while driving, which completely negates the advantage of having a smartphone. You get no such troubles on a PPC device (e.g. the iMate Jam) as TomTom keeps running while you handle the text or phone call (or play your MP3s!)

As I understand it the problem is because Palm OS cannot use 2 BT connections at same time. Bit like an American president - can't walk and chew gum at the same time. :D :D

I have a combination unit that does most things - an Ipaq 6340 which is both windows PPC PDA and mobile phone in one. Works flawlessly with a Parrot 3300 BT car kit so that both phone and sat nav mutes radio and goes through speakers. If phone rings during sat nav that takes precedent, but Tom Tom keeps working in background and reappears after phone call is over.
Rambler358
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Dell Axim X50v which I upgraded from a Palm T3. I'm also using Garmin's GPS 10 Bluetooth receiver. What's nice about TTN5 is that it will dial my phone to update the TonTon Traffic info and seems to still be able to maintain the Bluetooth link to the GPS receiver. :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: