Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Handheld GPS recommendation
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Handheld GPS recommendation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grantsteve
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Handheld GPS recommendation Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm interested in getting myself a handheld GPS unit which I'll mainly use for walking, however I know very little about them.

From the limited reading around I've done the basic models would seem to suit my needs and I have been looking at the Garmin etrex and the Magellan eXplorist 100 or 200.

Has anyone got any experience of either of these and / or any other recommendations?

I don't want to break the bank but I want to get something that will last for a while.

Also, will I be able to use any of the models listed above in the car?

Thanks Smile
DavidHobbs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will you be doing hiking or just plain old walking?
Grantsteve
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More hiking that just plain old walking!
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I have the Garmin etrex, which I use for walking, and I haven't had any problems with it. There arn't any maps on it, it just plots a trak of where you are going. You can set it to display latitude/longtitude, Ordinance servey GB, and many more. If you buy a OSGB map of the area you are going to, you can look at the garmin, and find your position, and look to see where you are on the map. You can save "way points", and I think you can set "go to's" and it will point you in the right direction, ideal when your feet are about to drop off, and you just want to go back to the car. I have also used it at pop cancerts etc, when I know where the car park is, but haven't a clue where the car is, Laughing Out Loud. It does loose its signal sometimes, under trees, or in built up areas, but you just need to find a bit of a clear area, and your off again. Iv'e been looking at the TomTom GO 300, to use in the car. Hope this helps

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: