Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT UK version - v5 maps on v3 - working?! Help me confirm!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT UK version - v5 maps on v3 - working?! Help me confirm!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: TT UK version - v5 maps on v3 - working?! Help me confirm! Reply with quote

The posts in this topic have been removed. Any discussion of how to circumvent copyright protection will not be tolerated on this forum. Such posts will continue to be removed and further sanctions may be taken against the contributors to such threads.

Posts on how to use the Postcode data are being monitored too. Any which break the forum guidelines will be similarly dealt with.
Joe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,

Why is this construed as copyright infringement?

Surely if one has bought legitimate copies of both TTN3 and TTN5, the latter with better maps but poorly performing GPS driver, and there is an obvious wish to use TTN5 maps with TTN3 software this is a legitimate pursuit. Isn't it?

Joe
Loobster
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. Some prefects just like playground duty a little too much, methinks.
amcluesent
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>Some prefects...<

Perhaps we need to ask who was allocated shares in TomTom before the company floated on the Amsterdam exchange?
sland
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: TT UK version - v5 maps on v3 - working?! Help me confir Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
The posts in this topic have been removed. Any discussion of how to circumvent copyright protection will not be tolerated on this forum. Such posts will continue to be removed and further sanctions may be taken against the contributors to such threads.

Posts on how to use the Postcode data are being monitored too. Any which break the forum guidelines will be similarly dealt with.
Thtas pretty heavy handed and unnecessary. If I have both and the software of v5 is poor in comparison then I should be allowed to run new maps on old software.

Stop being so heavy handed, moderate do not censor!

Thank you

Mike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully agree with the sentiments of the Moderator - but also feel where a product is sub-standard it would be nice to use vs5 maps with vs3 software, trust me the original removed post that was in here does not work - I tried it - followed it to the letter, the actual map being used was the original vs3 map as the instructions told you to re-name it to something else, TT3 is smart enough to find the re-named folder and used that - once it was deleted the vs3 software just came up with the "no maps found" warning - still having "fun" with the ipaq-4700 but the XDA unit is fine on vs5 - but not with checkPOI hence the interest in geting the vs3 OS to work with vs5 map - I posted a question around a month ago which was answered by Lutz Bendlin informing me what to change a specific file value to - but this didn't work - so back to the moderators some degree of common approach to the problem would be appreciated - but as I said at the begining - I fully support you view on this one - Mike
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
Tim,

Surely if one has bought legitimate copies of both TTN3 and TTN5, the latter with better maps but poorly performing GPS driver, and there is an obvious wish to use TTN5 maps with TTN3 software this is a legitimate pursuit. Isn't it?

Joe

Is Joe's question going to be answered by staff or moderatorsr?
alan_m
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
Tim,

Joe

It's not just a poorly performing GPS driver in TT5 that is the problem.

If I could get more accurate maps that I've piad for to work with a previous version of the program which I have also purchased I would revert back (presumably illegally) to TT3.

I wonder if the TT sponsorship of this site has resulted in this censorship.

I wonder why they don't want people to be able to use a stable version of TomTom software with more accurate maps?
talltim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Heavy handed! Reply with quote

Tim

You've been heavy handed to say the least.

This is only a breach of copyright issue if you don't own a licence for BOTH products, I do!
Yes I have tt3 on my old ipaq and TT5 on the brand spanking new one.

Shame TT5 is just not up to sctatch, I've given up using it.
I've got the old 1940 back in the car and reverted to a system that actually does navigate on roads not farm tracks and I can use to plan a journey the night before without the need for me to sit in my car in hotel car parks just to get the gps fix.

BUT as I've paid for the TT5 maps I dont think it unreasonable to try and find a solution to poor software so I can use the (more) up to date maps with TT3.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All.

Before you start to question why you are not getting replies, Tim is away for one week so is unable to answer your posts.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

icsys wrote:
All.

Before you start to question why you are not getting replies, Tim is away for one week so is unable to answer your posts.

Thanks for the info, but unless Tim was stating an entirely personal point of view, there are other staff and moderators who could clarify the PGPSW attitude to this specific point.

I entirely agree with copyright protection, I just don't see how it applies in this case.

I have recently ordered the TTN upgrade mainly to maintain my place in the upgrade sequence, but given the chioce I would prefer to keep TTN3 with the add-ons I find so uesful, but make use of updated map info.

Malcolm
sland
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if TomTom has being bringing pressure to bear?

Why trash the whole topic? Surely not every post was "out of bounds" if indeed any were.

Mike
sland
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emjaiuk wrote:
icsys wrote:
All.

Thanks for the info, but unless Tim was stating an entirely personal point of view, there are other staff and moderators who could clarify the PGPSW attitude to this specific point.

Seconded. Would any other moderator care to comment?

Mike
hogbreath
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unable to comment just yet on the stability of tt5 as it's still too new for me personally to comment - I do recall going thru many attempts to get tt3 up & running correctly & hopefully that experience will quicken the tt5 procedure.

TT need to be given a chance to react to the problems we are finding, however are open to criticism for some of the issues in just loading up the software that should have been resolved prior to issue.

Copyright law is only infringed when there is intent to sell or distribute copies of said item, for personal use I can't see any pending lawsuits!!!

Pete
talltim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: This is why we want 5 maps to work on 3! Reply with quote

Just returned from two weeks in France. Much to wifes disgust I insisted we use both ipaqs for the journey, the new one running 5.1 and the old 3.07.
What a laugh!!
Despite the 5 maps being more up to date and actually showing the new road at one point on the A84 just close to Avaranches 5 told me to turn right onto an unclassified road and when I didn't asked me to turn around! 3 just shows me driving across fields till it replans - not too much of a problem on a motorway.

5 consistently wanted me to travel along a farm tracks (definately NOT suitable for a car!) close to where we were staying and tried several times to send me the wrong way around a one way system that 3 handled perfectly.

In addition the lapses of "concentration" 5 sufferred made 3's more attentive nature much more user friendly in big cities and at complex junctions.

All in all by the time we headed back to Calais even the wife had been swayed toward the view that the 5 ipaq wasn't just a pain in the a**e but almost as good entertainment as the kids dvd system as we always had 3 to tell us the correct way!

Now I have to report that other than the shortcomings of the older mapping and a couple of excursions onto no mans land till you rejoin roads 3 managed to direct us correctly, on all the right roads, and correctly around the one way system!

If I were to be buying either system afresh on the basis of this experience alone it wound be a very easy choice - I would buy 3.

So if anyone has found a way to get 5 maps to work with 3 then for those of us who own both please tell all!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: