Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom overspeed monitoring
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom overspeed monitoring
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davethepitch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Tomtom overspeed monitoring Reply with quote

Hi does anyone know if there is a way that i can have my tomtom go 500 to monitor my speed and warn me say for example if i set it to 30 mph after 30 it warns me if i drift past the user defined setting.
TM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The Go has a facility to turn off the map display above a specified speed.
You could use that.

Select Change Preferences then select Turn off Map Display then choose "Above a certain speed" then enter your required upper speed limit.

Thats about the best you can do, I think.
davethepitch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: overspeed warnings Reply with quote

I did not know that being a new tomtom owner, i have had dedicated gps safety camera units before this my last being the roadpilot, i was hoping maybe a series of beeps or a voice command.

Thanks again

Dave (otherwise known as in Spanish) Juan Dumass ( one dumbass )

any future posts please dont reply with dear Juan dumass

Okay if you must
TM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Go is primarily a navigation system so wasn't designed with spped monitoring in mind.

If you use the map turn-off, it could be quite effective. If you have a route planned it goes to a blue screen with a large diagram of your next junction. If you don't have a route planned it goes to a blue screen showing your speed.

Elsewhere in this forum, someone (scaredycat, I think) is currently producing additional applications for the Go maybe they could include this idea.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Tomtom overspeed monitoring Reply with quote

davethepitch wrote:
Hi does anyone know if there is a way that i can have my tomtom go 500 to monitor my speed and warn me say for example if i set it to 30 mph after 30 it warns me if i drift past the user defined setting.

Other than using the 'Safety Screen' option to turn the map display off above your chosen speed then no, this is not currently possible.
davethepitch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: overspeed Reply with quote

Thank you for your replies i have installed the pocket gps free safety camera software and i have found it to be very good, i have altered the warning camera sounds to voice from the cuckoo etc, again very impressed, i live in stoke on trent in staffordshire and noticed that it missed a camera (not bad though saying it free is it) in the town centre which again is no problem so how can i gather this other camera info to add it to your data base.

Please bare with me as i am new to tomtom, as i have had dedicated gps units up until last week eg Road angel, an origin b2 solo, and finally a roadpilot but i am glad i made the change

Dave aka Juan dumass
wez99
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you download & install Scaredy Cats apps, there is a small prog called Quickam add which at the touch of a button a camera is added to your machine, which can then be sent off. BTW it works like a dream, highly recommended.

http://www.automated.it/ttg-apps.html

Cheers

John
davethepitch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: overspeed Reply with quote

I tell you what you people on here are the biz, i have downloaded the apps put them on no probs, i am now just trying to find out how to access the quickam icon quicker it is takingabout four presses i wonder if i can alter the menu system.

Thanks gents
Dave Juan Dumass
Jim-Bob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes You can have a look at this and this

In the folder named SdkRegistry on TTG rename the file tomtom.mnu to something like tom_tom.mnu

Turn on TTG

Go to menu number 4 (I think, the one after all the origonal options end.)

Make a note of the order of the new apps. From 1 to 3 these are on the top row left to right then 4and5 these are on the bottom left to right then same on next page but starting from 6.

Now if you read through the first couple of posts on the links above.

For the new apps put this in the menu
Code:
TASK_SDK"number which you noted before"

Remember to put the name of tomtom.mnu back.
davethepitch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure how to create a file called tomtom.mnu in the SdkRegistry

Dave aka Juan dumass
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can either create one in Notepad and save as a text file, or use one that has already been created, and modify to suit your own use, in Notepad.

The file can then just be copied to the SdkRegistry from your PC.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
davethepitch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the folder named SdkRegistry on my TTG i dont have a file to rename called tomtom.mnu i tried to create one like the post above said in notepad and it stayed as a notepad file i think i messed up as it did not work a step by step guide for a dummy like me is needed

can this all be done just using a card reader
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was slightly misleading, there won't be a tomtom.mnu file in that folder unless you've already put one there yourself (either by making one or copying one from someone else).

It IS a simple text file, so you can make it in notepad on the PC (probably easiest to copy and paste one of the examples and then move the lines around to suit yourself).

When you're ready, let notepad save it as "tomtom.txt" or whatever, and then rename it (again on the PC using Windows Explorer) to "tomtom.mnu" (you might get a Windows alert box warning you that if you change the extension (the 3 letters after the ".") the file may become unuseable, but ignore that, you are the master here! Smile )
Finally copy it to the TomTom SD card into the SdkRegistry folder, either direct or by using a card reader, shouldn't make any difference.

Don't be afraid to play about with the menus or worry about mucking it up. If it all goes wrong, just delete the tomtom.mnu file and the standard menu layout will magically reappear.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
You can either create one in Notepad and save as a text file, or use one that has already been created, and modify to suit your own use, in Notepad.

The file can then just be copied to the SdkRegistry from your PC.

Does this only apply to the new models? As far as I can see, my Classic (v5.200) doesn't have an SDKRegistry folder. Or do I need to create one?

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That folder is part of the additional tools created by Scaredy Cat to allow recording of POIs etc.

See http://www.automated.it/ttg-apps.html

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: