Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PDA v Stand Alone
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PDA v Stand Alone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: PDA v Stand Alone Reply with quote

I'm new to GPS/Sat Nav. What's the advantage (if any) of a dedicated unit e.g. Garmin Quest, Navman 520 et al over a PDA e.g. Navman Pin 570.

At first glance the PDA is just as good and more versatile. Plus, the portrait format seems more logical than the landscape format to use as a navigating tool.
Donald
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: PDA v Stand Alone Reply with quote

jackn wrote:
I'm new to GPS/Sat Nav. What's the advantage (if any) of a dedicated unit e.g. Garmin Quest, Navman 520 et al over a PDA e.g. Navman Pin 570.

At first glance the PDA is just as good and more versatile. Plus, the portrait format seems more logical than the landscape format to use as a navigating tool.

Hi JackN

Choosing a GPS system is almost as bad as choosing a new mobile phone. Almost! There is a lot available

Pros/cons of dedicated versus PDA (as I see it-others may disagree)

Dedicated unit:
Pro: Easy to install and set up. Almost a 'fit and forget' system. Basically only one item to buy
Con: Only is a GPS system. Doesn't have the versatility of a 'Personal Data Assistant' which now-a-days is a proper computer that fits in the pocket (PPC)

PDA (PPC) version:
Pros: will be as useful as a dedicated unit with no degradation in facilities or performance. If anything it could out perform and have more facilities because of absolute users choice on the different software and hardware available. There are also more third party plug-ins available
Apart from being a very goo GPS system, a PPC versionis exactly that, A Pocket Computer.

It will synchronise with you main PC for address books, wordprocessors, spreadsheets, databases etc etc. You also get a darn good MP3 player, pocket recorder, photo viewer et al! When it's finished doingthe gps bit, you slip it in your pocket and have all your personal data at your finger tip.

Cons:
You need 4 bits of kit to choose:
a) The software (Tom Tom or other)
b) A PPC (PDA)
c) A GPS Receiver
d) A car mounting unit

Some PDAs come with a built in GPS receiver (See the MIO 186 or is it a MIO 168)
Some car mounting kits come with a built in GPS receiver too.

The PPC system requires a wee bit more effort to setup. In my opinion the small extra effort far outweighs the benefits and advantages. My benefits or example:

I have 12 hours of classical music to listen to on my pda (The amount is only limited on how much memory you buy)…
I have over 500 names and addresses, fully categorised, in my address book…
I have a full book (A play) to read together with the same book in audio so that I can listen and learn at any time of my choosing…
I use the Appointment calendar extensively – never missed and appointment or event in the last 3 years since I became a PPC addict…
I use the built in calculator a lot ‘coz my maths are not too good.
The ‘To Do’ list is a constant reminder…
I can scribble quick notes – yes, scribble in my own unreadable scrawl…
As a keen digi-photographer, I can slide my camera memory into my PPC and preview the pics on a bigger screen than my camera…
Etc etc etc……

I hope that I have not thrown too much confusion into the ring but given you some food for thought. Basically the first decision you need to make is Dedicated or PPC.

Given the choice of starting over again, I would undoubtedly choose the PPC route to the solution. The difference in costs is marginal.
jackn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the swift reply.

Confused? I am.

I want a GPS unit especially for use on my motorcycle trips. I'd narrowed my selection down to the Navman iCN520 (Garmin Quest too small a screen).

But then I discovered the Navman PIN 300 and my certainty evaporated.

Like I said previously the format more closely matches that of conventional road maps (e,g, AA road atlas). The 'extra' PC features are useful but not essential for me. I would be very interested in the digital photo' viewing aspect but I doubt that the Navman accepts CompactFlash cards.

Basically I need to decide which is the best deal for me. Dedicated GPS 520 or jack of all trades navman (or similar) PDa with GPS?
KW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your information.

The NAvman Pin 300 is an overpriced Yakumo Delta 300 or Mitac 168.

The machines are 100% identical.

Now, I like the 168/Delta 300, I think they're extremely well build and represent good value, but once Navman puts their sticker on it, I'm not so sure anymore.

So if you're charmed by the Pin300, take a look if you can't find a cheaper solution by going for the Yakumo 300 or the Mitac 168, because you're buying exactly the same device at a better price then.

The biggest advantage of a PDA is this one :

no software is flawless. Tomorrow, who knows, Destinator comes up with a new "I'll blow you all away" version, or Tomtom produces "TT5 Super" or something. With a PDA, you have total freedom over the software you'll be running tomorrow. Don't like what you get ? Just choose another software package.
With a dedicated GPS, you're at the mercy of a SINGLE company who will decide how and in what manner you'll receive support over the years to come.

I mean, I see so many people complaining about the oddities of their fixed car GPS systems, and that's about the same problem. I've got two cars : one comes with a build-in Blaupunkt based GPS system, the other one just uses Tomtom 5 on a regular PDA. Hey, I can tell you, I'll take the Tomtom 5 solution any day.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the main advangtage of the pda system is that you can change software very easily with a go or icn etc your stuck with the software thats on there

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes, the reason for a persons choice might not be 'obvious' as you might think.

For example, one of the reasons which made me discount the TomTom Go products was the shape. They are not the easiest to fit into a jacket pocket - but in a bag/briefcase, the chunkiness would probably not be a problem. Also, leaving it with a vehicle and on display is not really a good idea - so how easy is your chosen solution to remove?

I would also be inclined to look at what mounts are available, and how they would fit in/on your vehicle. Many users rapidly become dissatisfied with the 'universal one size fits all' options.

You may also need to take you car's windscreen into account - some types block the GPS signal - while external arials are often available, will you be happy with how they fit - I wasn't. This may lead you down the remote Bluetooth receiver which can probably be placed anywhere in the car where you can get a good signal - but there again would you want to provide a power supply to it?

Really, I am just trying to highlight, that while there are obvious technical merits of one solution over another, sometimes other factors can make the choice a 'worse' choice than something which may tecnically be slightly inferior.
KW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True.

Keep in mind though, and I'm ignorant to just HOW these people do it, but the Yakumo series (Delta and Alpha) as well as the Acer N35's have little to no trouble at all with shielded windshields.

The chunkyness of the "Go" is a good point : you won't like being seen walking around with that thing in your pants. Twisted Evil So you'll probably end up tossing it in your booth. And here's the crux : after 2 hours of walking in an unknown city, the question pops up "where the heck did I leave my car". And your GPS system which you found too clumsy to take along with you will be of no help at all. Laughing

A more serious note though : at work, we've got 3 cars equiped with a "Go". The main problem turns out to be that if you don't remove it from the windscreen in the summer, the damned things will refuse to boot : it's as if they are overheating which, considering the temperatures in a closed car in full sunlight is not totally impossible.
george_mich
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Navman Pin 570 Reply with quote

You would rather buy a Navman PIN 570 than PIN 300, PIN 570 comes with the latest Smart ST 2005 software and new teleatlas maps. Regarding photo viewing the PIN 570 can take SD cards and Multimedia cards, you may want to check out ttp://www.e-bowl.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4564

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: