Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - No data from GPS device
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

No data from GPS device

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdresor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: No data from GPS device Reply with quote

I have a Ipaq 6340 and bluetooth wireless TomTom Navigator 3 (and tried 5). Upgraded CD for 6340. Paired devices OK, bluetooth seems to work bcause my ipaq tells there's a connection and the steady blue light is on the wireless device. In Tomtom, bluetooth serial port is chosen and the "Tomtom wireless GPS". No GPS signal is recorded, and on status it says "0 data sent / received". After 3 minutes my devices automatically disconnect. I tried the device outside so there should be no "satellite problem". Uninstalled and reinstalled w/no help.
I tried TT Nav 5 and it says, with the same settings, "no GPS device".
Hmm...I have no clue. And my vacation is running out of time :-)
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is universal to version 5.00 for a bt connection to work try using other wired gps receiver baud rate 38400 then the comport you normally use if this doesnt work make sure you have removed all of tt3 when ive done an grade for freinds ive use useually done a hard rest the reinstalled everything from scratch

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
cdresor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what you're saying is that I need a wired instead of Bluetooth device, although it should be compatible according to TomTom's website? I got the BT so I should not need the wires Crying or Very sad
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no what i am saying is in the gps set menu select other wired gps then set the baud rate to 38400 then select the bt com port you normally use if the above doesnt work then try removeing anything tomtom from your device then reinstall include the 5.10 update from the tt website. if that dosent wor as a last resort hard reset the device (you will lose anything that has not been synced though) and will have to reinstall any apps/ files again) this is so you remove every thing that is rwlated to tt3

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
cdresor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks for clarifying that Smile I actually did a hard-reset yesterday just to be sure (lot of agony for losing everything else Evil or Very Mad ) but then I know no rubbish is left there.
I will get back to see if things get better....
Cheers,
cdresor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: nope Reply with quote

It seems the update and wired/3800 baud did not help. I notice however, that the green LED light on my GPS device is not flashing; it is only the bluetooth LED which is continously lit. Maybe this is a hardware failure on the GPS unit after all Idea
tomtomtap
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem. My BT receiver works fine with Mapopolis but keeps losing it's link with TT5.
I can't see that selecting a wired Receiver would help, as it won't be looking down the BT path... will it ???
What a nightmare, these things are never compatible nowdays, I know I sound like an old fool (only 38!) but everyhing has compatibility issues. Years ago things were not released untill they worked !
Any other things to try?
TTFN, Steve
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Setting TT5 to a wired connection makes it talk to a serial port. One of these serial ports (usually COM5 or COM8) is the Bluetooth Serial port and this is used for communication with the Bluetooth GPS device. So when TT5 is set to talk to the Bluetooth serial port it talks to the Bluetooth GPS device.

You will have to set up your PDA so you have a Bluetooth pair with your GPS device and how you do this will depend on your PDA. Somewhere it will show the Bluetooth serial port as COM5 or COM8 and you need to tell TT5 that this is the port to use when you set up the GPS in it. I think 38400 is too high for many GPS units, I use the TT BT GPS at 9600 or 4800.

With the TT BLuetooth GPS a steady blue light indicates a bluetooth connection and no flashing green light means the GPS has not estabished a lock on the satellites.

Using this setup TomTom can take a while to establish a connection to the BT GPS and another while before it starts receiving data from the GPS.

TT5 (inc 5.1) can also overwrite your BT settings and change your pairings if you set it to use a TT BT GPS in the setup. This is not obvious until you try and connect the PDA to the BT GPS when not using TT5 and it no longer connects.

I have this issue as I have two TT BT GPS units installed in different cars and I need to be able to use either, but TT5 when set up to use TT BT GPS will not let me do that, so I have to use the serial port method.
tomtomtap
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Hmmmm! Reply with quote

Thanx for the info. What you say sounds very logical.
Sadly, the Tapwave Zodiac(Company gone bust as of the 25th) Has no way of checking or changing com ports.
It can only find BT devices via live searches of the ether for devises that are discoverable. I can set TT5 for wired gps but I can't tell the Tap to look down a specific com port.
I also notice that in the brief mins that TT5 and BT Gps are happy together, that it only gets 2 to 4 sats, but when I use my old Mapopolis it gets 6 plus. I wonder if an extra antenna would solve my problem.Being a logic based electronic product, I can't understand how it can work perfectly for 5 mins and then lose it's signal and be unable to fix it again without searching for live devises. Why can't TT5 keep it's lock on the GPS even when the sats are being lost? I;ve tried TomTom for support but they are very unhelpfull and say that the Tap is not supported by TT5.
Do you think and external antenna might do the trick? Me thinks that if there were more sats and a tad stronger signals that, perhaps the thing would work.
Thanx again, Tapman out,
Steve
cdresor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: BT serial port Reply with quote

I checked the Tomtom support pages and they say that the BT serial setting for ipaq 6340 should be com 7, but this port is not able in configuration (it is set to BT serial port 4).
Anyone knows how to change serial port, when its not on the list Confused
cdresor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I updated with the same CD again, and got BT serial port 7 working:-)

Now, in the ipaq settings menu, if I change GPS to "TomTom Wireless" and Com7 (BT), I do get a location and satellites connect. Still, at "status" under connections, there are 0 data sent/received.
In TomTom, I have tried "all options" - that is all devices and both Com7 and Com4 and still it says "no GPS device". When I change configuration in TomTom, the GPS settings on my ipaq don't change.
Now at least I know that the wireless GPS works, but TomTom does not seem to acknowledge it on my ipaq?
cdresor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Finally Reply with quote

Laughing

It works! No help from TomTom support, but I uninstalled all TomTom software, and after that looked for tom* files on my SD card; found 8 files which I deleted.
I installed again, and finally with "other cable GPS" set to 4800 baud, I got it to work!

Thanks guys for trying to help me! :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: