Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - "No POI Found!" when trying to "Navigate to..
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

"No POI Found!" when trying to "Navigate to..
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sHaRpEy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: "No POI Found!" when trying to "Navigate to.. Reply with quote

Hi everyone.

I've got TomTom5 running on a Ipaq 1710, and everything works good apart from when I...

- Navigate to...
- Point of Interest
- Select ANY POI

I'm then greeted with the message "No POI Found!" 8O

Now things like petrol stations etc appear on the map when driving about, but I'm unable to navigate to them. Any suggestions please?

Thanks,
sHaRpEy.
sHaRpEy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll answer my own question shall I? :D

Purely for reference to everyone else, not all of the POI's on the TomTom Nav 5 CD you are able to navigate too. I downloaded Petrol Station UK - ALL and this POI you *can* navgiate too. So I guess there is an issue with different versions of POI's and TomTom engine versions.

Happy TomTom'ing!
8)
sHaRpEy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply sHaRpEy I was really stuck on this, you are the best! 8)
MKontic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm... you haven't really answered he question, just an observation. I posted a topic a couple of hours ago about exactly the same thing (before I saw this one) - not being able to navigate to a POI that I know exists and is actually shown on the map... the same message comes up. I was trying to find Trentham Park Golf Course. In the end, I had to scroll the map, locate the POI manually (I knew roughly where it was) and make it a favourite (I was planning a route for tomorrow). There has got to be a better way than that.

Well, I hope someone knows the answer, and I hope I get more replies from others than this post did... or even reply to this post now that I know it is here; I can't believe no one else has this problem, or that no one else cares about it.
jguiver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This mystified me too. I could navigate to local POI's, but not more distant ones. I found, by trial and error, that if you use navigate to POI in city, and select a city somewhere in the region you want to go, then you get a list if POI's within a radius of that city. For example, I could not navigate directly to a National Trust property in Norfolk from Hampshire, but by selecting POI in City, and choosing Norwich, I was presented with a list relevant to that area. Maybe this is not the way to do it, or maybe this is by design so that the list isn't 300+ items long. I don't know.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you select a particular class of POI, there is a keyboard icon at the bottom left. Click that and start typing the name of the required POI and it will appear.
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm then greeted with the message "No POI Found!"

This fault only occurs in the pirate versions of TTN 5.0 and 5.1. The legal version does not have this error!!!

Roger
jguiver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha! Didn't notice the keyboard. That's good if you know where you want to go, but it's back to POI in City if you just want to see 'what's around' in a particular area.

Thanks for that - I'm still in week one as a GPS newbie, but getting more familiar with the package.
Hadies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

linknet wrote:
Quote:
I'm then greeted with the message "No POI Found!"

This fault only occurs in the pirate versions of TTN 5.0 and 5.1. The legal version does not have this error!!!

Roger

Err not true ! i have a "legal" copy that i paid good well earned cash for and guess what, just the same problem, so Sharpey, i dont know if your copy of TT is a "legal" copy or some downloaded stuff but im with you brother ! i will stand back to back with you in the fight against none working POI's

BTW you can use the POI's that you can download from this fantastic site ! and they will work fine untill a patch or fix is out for all of us, with "legal" copies that is Laughing :D
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Err not true ! i have a "legal" copy that i paid good well earned cash for and guess what, just the same problem, so Sharpey, i dont know if your copy of TT is a "legal" copy or some downloaded stuff but im with you brother ! i will stand back to back with you in the fight against none working POI's

Apologies if that's the case.

The following topic includes a post by SRS which is worth reading:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=25288

I found this out to my own cost by purchasing a PDA with TTN5 pre-installed, I wasn't aware of the difference then. I later discovered that it was a Pirate version and have managed to return it to the supplier and obtained a reluctant refund, after a number of threats of legal action.

I have since purchased the legal version and a new PDA and have tried the test that SRS made. Guess what, the legal version version works fine and the illegal versions give the "No POI found" error.

Regards

Roger
MKontic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you haddies... unless i've fallen into the same trap as linknet! About half the in-built POI's work and the other half just give the message "No POI Found". All user-written POI's work fine. I've read the post by SRS... I guess it could be a bad job of a hack. I'll be extremely disappointed and angry if it is Evil or Very Mad
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
About half the in-built POI's work and the other half just give the message "No POI Found". All user-written POI's work fine.

Those are the exact symptoms of the cracked exe. If you enable the problem categories and browse the map you will find them all there. But if you search for them you will get "No POI Found".

I may be wrong, but I think that this is one bug that TomTom will not be fixing.

Roger
KW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

First of all, this is my first post here, so be somewhat kind in case I'd screw up.

Secondly, I work as a Tech Supp manager in a computer shop. I can confirm that :

a) the official, unhacked and original version of Tomtom 5 AND 5.1 DO HAVE problems with POI's. These problems range from "not being able to find any POI's" to "crash'n burn when trying to navigate to a POI". However, not ALL machines seem to be infected with this, and not to the same extend. Maybe some of our customers got their versions from different batches, but I can't confirm or deny that possibility. The guys as TT are somewhat vague in their responses when I have them on the phone and ask them about the nature of this problem.

b) PIRATED versions of TT5 more often than not work better than the official version (and yes, this is ironic). In worst case, they'll do a "I won't let you choose a POI with a LOT of POI's" : they very rarely crash when navigating to one of those few which are available.

c) BOTH versions will work pretty well when you feed TT5 with the TT3 POI database. (they'll both find all the old POI's, and won't crash when navitating to them)

d) a PIRATED PATCHED version exists of 5.0, which does work perfectly on _both the official/original_ as on the the pirated version. Now, this is very sad : we've patched at least 2 of our customers who have the official version with these pirated-patched ones in order to let them work with TT5 as it was intended. As they own their legal copy of TT5, we don't see too much harm in doing so, but it still feels odd to have to resort to what is essentially "wares" in order to make a product behave as it should.
Hadies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KW wrote:
Hi.

First of all, this is my first post here, so be somewhat kind in case I'd screw up.

Secondly, I work as a Tech Supp manager in a computer shop. I can confirm that :

a) the official, unhacked and original version of Tomtom 5 AND 5.1 DO HAVE problems with POI's. These problems range from "not being able to find any POI's" to "crash'n burn when trying to navigate to a POI". However, not ALL machines seem to be infected with this, and not to the same extend. Maybe some of our customers got their versions from different batches, but I can't confirm or deny that possibility. The guys as TT are somewhat vague in their responses when I have them on the phone and ask them about the nature of this problem.

b) PIRATED versions of TT5 more often than not work better than the official version (and yes, this is ironic). In worst case, they'll do a "I won't let you choose a POI with a LOT of POI's" : they very rarely crash when navigating to one of those few which are available.

c) BOTH versions will work pretty well when you feed TT5 with the TT3 POI database. (they'll both find all the old POI's, and won't crash when navitating to them)

d) a PIRATED PATCHED version exists of 5.0, which does work perfectly on _both the official/original_ as on the the pirated version. Now, this is very sad : we've patched at least 2 of our customers who have the official version with these pirated-patched ones in order to let them work with TT5 as it was intended. As they own their legal copy of TT5, we don't see too much harm in doing so, but it still feels odd to have to resort to what is essentially "wares" in order to make a product behave as it should.

CHECK ! thanks for that mate ! :D
SRS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I am the one responsible for the other post mentioned above, I'll throw my 2 pennies in.

I have a genuine copy of TTN5 upgraded to 5.100. If I go into "Browse Map" -> "Find" -> "POI" and select any of the categories, built-in or added, I can find to any one I please. The only caveat to that is that TTN5 can only show the closest 100 POIs in a category. I have tried this for one POI in every one of the built-in categories. No "POI not found" and No crash to desktop. I have also checked "Navigate to" -> "POI" with the same results.

I have downloaded the cracked executables for 5.000 and 5.100 purely to try and pin down some of these so called "bugs".

If I use the cracked 5.100 go to "Browse Map" -> "Find" -> "POI" it will only work on POI categories that contain a smaller number of POIs. So starting at the top, Airports work, Amusement Parks work, Beach fails, Camping ground works, Car Dealer works, Car Rental fails, etc. etc.

Every category with well over 100 POIs crashes to desktop.

Also if any of these categories are enabled and you zoom out on the "Browse Map" view, the cracked version crashes.

One look at the changes in the cracked version will tell you why. Whoever changed it managed to create an illegal branch in the code. The code that iterates through the POI entries will literally try to jump outside of the program.

Maybe there are more than one version of the cracked files and some cracked versions like KW's work. I don't know, but what I do know is the two cracked 5.000 exes I downloaded were the same and so was the 5.100 I managed to find.

By fixing that mistake in the pirated version I was able to produce a 5.100 exe that didn't crash, so it is possible to have a working cracked version.

I certainly wouldn't agree that the pirated version "more often than not work better". As my test has proved, the genuine version can work on 100% of POIs in my setup, can't speak for anyone elses setup though.

Slider.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: