Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Best sat nav for newbie in NI ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Best sat nav for newbie in NI ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulBoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Best sat nav for newbie in NI ? Reply with quote

My brother in law has asked me the above question but it is not as straight forward as it sounds - first of all he lives in Northern Ireland and travels around there and the South as well as the odd trip to Scotland
When I visited recently he was impressed with my Ipaq / TT5 setup but he could see the mapping in Ireland / NI is rubbish
He is not really interested in a PDA / GPS setup as he wouldnt get much use out of the PDA so could anyone recommend an "all in one" solution other than TT Go (as I presume the maps of Ireland / NI would be equally dire?)
TIA ... Paul ;)
rossb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most units seem to use maps made by either navteq.com or teleatlas.com

The tomtom uses teleatlas maps. I think you should contact both companies and ask about their NI coverage.

Once you know who has the most detailed maps, post back here and we can suggest an appropriate unit.
PaulBoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rossb - thanks for your reply - as i said in my post I have TomTom v5 and coverage is poor in NI & non existant in ROI so based on what you said the B in L should be looking at a navteq based system - I spoke with him recently and he is keen to stick with an all in one system rather than separate PDA & GPS - what would you suggest I point him towards (price is not a huge issue but my sister would probably kill him if he spent more than £500 :D
Paul
rossb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest you contact navteq.com and confirm the northern Ireland coverage. I would say coverage could be so bad, it is not worth having a sat nav at all Sad

I have just had a look on my Navteq based garmin c320. Dublin and Belfast are covered to street level. Southern ireland seems to be covered to N and R road level, but is sadly no better than that.

I know mapsource version 8 is coming out shortly(I am V7). Check with naveteq on their coverage. You may have to wait for a later version.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: