Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - travelling to france, will ttn5 autoswap between maps?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

travelling to france, will ttn5 autoswap between maps?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scrscoot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: travelling to france, will ttn5 autoswap between maps? Reply with quote

Hi, been using ttn5 for a while in this country without any issues, but I now wish to travel to france.
Dose anyone know, and I guess you would have had to have made the journey yourself, whether ttn5 will autoswap between the maps on my sd card.
I have the Great Britain map and the France Plus map (by the way, anyone know what the difference between the "standard" and "plus" maps are?) as I need all the minor roads andlittle dirt tracks and everything else as well as the main roads of France and Great Britain.
I know that I can swap between maps, but that seems to me as though I would then need to re-route i.e. build a route to the ferry port then do another route from once in france.
I know if I load the france plus map in asa the default it will allow me to navigate to Paris (which it doen't recognise with the Great Britain map) but then surely it will not have ALL of the roads in Great Britain at its disposal for route planning and will only then stick to the "main" roads until I arrive in france
Can someone please instruct me in the best way to accomplish what I need.
lupos0_1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Plus maps are a detailed map of the country (eg France Plus would be a detailed map of france) PLUS the major roads of Europe. With this, you would be able to navigate from france to italy for example and it would get you there. If you want detailed maps of two or more countries, I would advice installing the PLUS map of the country that you reside in eg. Great Britain and install the ordinary map of the country you are visiting eg. Italy. This way, you could navigate from Great Britain to Italy without having to swap maps and once at Italy, swap the map over for a more detailed layout. I don't believe there is anyway for this to happen automatically.
Latest Maps
(Internal GPS)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom won't auto switch maps nor can it calculate routes that cross individual maps.

When in France you must manually select that map.
scrscoot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks I'll give that a go then. So GB PLUS then France normal. Thanks for your help
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it so much trouble to plan a route to the ferry port and then once you are on the ferry (or tunnel) change the map to France and replan. It's got to take all of 60 seconds Confused
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkHewitt wrote:
Is it so much trouble to plan a route to the ferry port and then once you are on the ferry (or tunnel) change the map to France and replan. It's got to take all of 60 seconds Confused

Possibly not however the majority of people are likely to use major roads to get to the Channel (tunnel or ferry port). Having to use one map (France +) instead of two is more convenient and probably what it's designed for, otherwise what's the point of Plus maps?
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I see it the advantage of Plus maps comes not in the UK, but in continental Europe where there are a great many options available to you to get between one country and another. Usually this means driving across a border without stopping.

In contrast when driving out of Great Britain your choice of route is usually determined by ferry/tunnel costs and timetables rather than whichever route is quickest, and is always punctuated by a period of not driving anywhere.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: