Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Screen brightness questions: Axim v. iPaq v. M5 v. Quest v.?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Screen brightness questions: Axim v. iPaq v. M5 v. Quest v.?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wesley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Screen brightness questions: Axim v. iPaq v. M5 v. Quest v.? Reply with quote

I know that "bright enough" and "not bright enough" are subjective statements and, therefore, I can understand why specific brightness info isn't necessarily included in GPS system reviews, but I'm trying to make heads or tails out of these things.

I thought I had decided on an Axim based system for in-car use as well as city street pedestrian travel. However, I just recently had a chance to see an X30 on full brightness outside in the daytime and it's less than spectacular.

It's readable, I guess... but certainly not great.

My impression is that dedicated units are, basically, better with screen brightness. The Quest review I read claimed that it was bright enough to use outside even while wearing sunglasses.

I've also read that the iPaq screens are brighter than the Axim screens. But, again, this kind of information is somewhat subjective and I don't know if the reviewer had two units side-by-side or if they were just relaying their anectdotal beliefs.

So, what's the skinny? Are the Garmin PDA units brighter than 'normal' PDAs like the Axim or iPaq? Is the Quest really significantly brighter than an Axim? Are there some units that are known to be "too dim" or "too bright"?

Thanks for any info on this topic. It'll help me decide where to put my money.
Donald
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Screen brightness questions: Axim v. iPaq v. M5 v. Quest Reply with quote

Wesley wrote:
I know that "bright enough" and "not bright enough" are subjective statements and, therefore, I can understand why specific brightness info isn't necessarily included in GPS system reviews, but I'm trying to make heads or tails out of these things.

Thanks for any info on this topic. It'll help me decide where to put my money.

Hi Wesley
Yup - very subjective.

My experience is with Dell Axim X5, Axim X50, Mio 168 and a Palm T2.

The first three are fine for car work. Direct bright sunlight on a 'normal' LCD screen does degrade the visibility dramatically. That said, I have found in reality, the X5 & X50 are fine in the car. The only problem is with the screen acting as a reflector of bright objects such as my white shirt illuminated by the sun. A careful positioning the PPC to stop the reflection and no problems.

In practice, your eyes will not be on the PPC any more time that checking your rear view mirrors. (Of course, we all check the mirrors 2 - 3 times a minute DON'T WE!)

Of the two Axims, the X50 is certainly brighter and has more contrast when compared directly side-by-side. The Mio is my buddies unit - been in his car - no problems in reading the display in the sun....

I hasten to add that my experience is in saloon cars - never tried in a soft top with the top down.

I know that there LCD screens that are perfect in direct sunlight, but as far as I know, they are expensive and reserved for aviation & military use.

I have a pal with a BMW series 3 with a GPS - no map only direction indicators...BUT the display is very high definition/bright/contrast - if it had a map display, i guess it would look great...

I guess that the above waffle is the long way of saying:....

In my humble opinion, the X5, X50 and MIO are bright enough. They work. They get me there (and back!)
Wesley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Screen brightness questions: Axim v. iPaq v. M5 v. Quest Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Donald, espeically about the potential difference between the X50 and the X5

Since I last posted, I found a side-by-side comparison of iPaq v. Axim. The comparison had nothing to do with GPS, but it had shots of the screens side by side, and even in the crummy photos, I could tell that the iPaq was significantly brighter than the Axim.

I had read as much previously, but it was the first time I had seen it. Of course, now I can't find the link again, but it was very noticeable. Washed out versus easily readable.

I'm leaning more towards the Quest or Quest2 at this point which, by all accounts, has a pretty bright screen. My guess is that it's a lot brighter than the Axim which is my only personal benchmark (being the only one I've personally seen) but I figure it's got to be at least as bright as the iPaq, since the Quest is actually MADE to be used outside in sunlight, as opposed to the PDAs which have other uses.

Thanks again

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: