Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom advice for a noob please.....
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom advice for a noob please.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vizbox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: TomTom advice for a noob please..... Reply with quote

Hi guys.

I'm considering buyer a Tom Tom in the near future but unsure which version to get. I want the car version, probably the 300 or 500.

I will only really be using it a few times a month. Rolling Eyes

I 'may' take on holiday once a year so maps other than UK not essential.

Is there a great deal of difference between the models ?

From this forum i see that i should upgrade the SD card, but what else should i expect to pay out for ?

The 500 / 700 models say that they work in tunnels, does the 300 not have this feature ( not mentioned on the Tomtom website ) ?

Thanks in advance....

Tom
linrew
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi

the main difference between the 300 and 500 is bluetooth, major roads of europe and a faster processor

the 500/700 dose not work in a tunnel but has ASN which basicly guesses where you are in the tunnel based on your speed before going into the tunnel

if you will only be using it a few times a month the you have to justify the extra 100 quid for something that you may not use that often

the main questions you should ask yourself is do you need it to calculate the route quick(most short routes <10 seconds-long routes<45 seconds) or very quick and do you need(and will you use) bluetooth

the best advice is to buy a 512mb card then you will have plenty of space to upgrade in the future but again not necessary but very handy

linrew
HairyBoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vizbox,

I have a Go300 which I use every day for business (2-3 routes planned per day across the North of England).

My 300 calculates most routes in under 5 seconds so the processor speed isn't any issue at all.

I bought a 256MB SD card which is only half used even with all the speed camera files and 6 voices loaded on it. As has been mentioned the cost of 512 MB cards is such that maybe its worth paying a couple of extra quid for future proofing.

Given your explanation of using it a couple of times a month I wouldn't consider spending the axtra £100 for the 500 and would plumb for a 300.

The only other extra you may need to build in is an external aerial if your car has an athermic windscreen (which can block the GPS signal). Basically, buy the Go and if you have problems picking up/keeping the GPS signal you can then buy the aerial (around £50) which most people seem to fit internally at the rear of the car (the rear parcel shelf for example which gets round the front windscreen blocking the signal - if you have an athermic front windscreen).

Good luck and, whichever you go for, you won't regret it. The Go is a fantastic piece of kit Laughing
mikeossy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As already stated by heairyboy, the justification is down to you, but looking at them all I plummed for the 300 aswell, not being able to warrant the extra for asn euro major roads and Handsfree function that just wont get used.
I too bought a 256mb card and its nowehere near used up yet, the GO has to be the best pre £400 protable satnav unit on the market and makes all the rest look relativly hard to use.
On the subject of it being used a few times a month - this is what i thought untill i founf the excellent Pocket GPS World speed Camera POI's which are FREE and a god send, and I now take my GO everywhere as its now a camera detector and Satnav in one!.

Go on buy it you wont regret it..........

Mike
Vizbox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies....

linrew wrote:

the 500/700 dose not work in a tunnel but has ASN which basicly guesses where you are in the tunnel based on your speed before going into the tunnel

linrew

Does the 300 have the ASN feature ?
If not, how long does it take to find you again ?

Also, if i wanted any other maps can the 300 read them ( silly question Embarassed ) ?

I currently have a Ford Focus. It doesn't have a athermic windscreen, but does have 'quick clear'. When this is in use will the signal be blocked ?

Thanks
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

300 does not have ASN, but it's not that good anyway on the other models, in my experience.

If you want more maps you can get each country on another card and change cards as you cross the border. Each country map comes with a link map of the major roads of other countries in Western Europe.

Or you can buy the countries of Western Europe on a set of CDs and a big SD card to copy them too, but still only individual countries. You would need to switch maps at the border.

Or by the time you've bought the CDs and the card(s), you may find that a 700 was cheaper all along!! (and the detail maps are all in one with no changinf at the border).
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
Freebird
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

linrew wrote:
hi

the main difference between the 300 and 500 is bluetooth,

The 300 is also Bluetooth, the difference is the 300 doesn't feature hands free, but it will pair up to a GPRS mobile to permit you to use all the TT-plus services like Traffic. IMO if only using a couple of times a month and your not going to be loading extra maps etc the 300 would do nicely. ;)
Vizbox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't intend on buying for driving abroad. But if i go on holiday i may take with me if possible.

So the extra £100 for the 500 will basically only give me bluetooth that acts as speaker for my mobile phone ?
It does seem that verything else isn't really worth the money for my needs Confused

Thanks again
Bobm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vizbox wrote:

I currently have a Ford Focus. It doesn't have a athermic windscreen, but does have 'quick clear'. When this is in use will the signal be blocked ?

I have a Focus too. It works fine if you place it in the right hand corner of the windscreen shelf. I had it there with some Velcro pads. However if you get one of the Brodit mounting clips and fix it to the dashboard just to the right of the radio/CD you will need an external aerial. I have rigged that up and put the aerial to the right of the steering wheel where the unit used to sit and it works fine, I didnt find it necessary to put it outside the vehicle.
Vizbox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, will remember that !

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: