Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CAUTION !!!!!!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CAUTION !!!!!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fatmanscoop
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: CAUTION !!!!!!! Reply with quote

hi all i have just had my tt classic and docking bay stolen from my car while i was in Morrisins in Nottingham. My TT was hidden in my boot under a carpet but the thief knew were to look ..so to all tt owners these units are now becoming a must for the car thief. My local police told me that they have at least 40 tt a week reported as stolen... SO BE CAREFUL please ..my insurance are going to cover the cost of the tt and repair my car but this is not the point..

take care out there
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delaying tactics:

http://www.outdooraccessories.co.uk/index.htm

A bigger one saved my boss' laptop. They took everything else!!
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
sifi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that. Is the moral of the story (for the rest of us) - do not leave the docking bracket in view on the windscreen/dashboard?
Stanley_Tweedle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might also be worth thinking about trying not to have the TT on easy view whilst driving. If the TT has become the No 1 stealable item then there are people who might be inclined to follow a car and wait until it parks up. I've been behind quite a few people myself who have had sat nav units in high profile view slapped in the centre of the windscreen.

It's a sad sign of the times but I wouldn't feel safe so openly advertising my hard earned possessions.
Stanley_Tweedle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a related note, would it be a good idea to have a start up password facility on the Go?
Yes it could probably be disabled by some but anything that makes these things less attractive to theives is urgently required in my humble opinion.
mikeossy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the loverly bag that tomtom do and its come in quite handy can get my mobile my PDA keys wallet and the front from my stereo in it and its quite swanky looking too, but it was £40!.

Worth a look
buckman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my Arm poking thru the steering wheel so i look at my TTG where the speedo is, its suprisingly well hidden down here and from the outside you cant see it at all!! also i get a very good signal from there too!

So from the outside you cant see anything, especially when driving, but as the driver you get a full view of the GO..

I see loads of cars now with the TTG arm stuck right in the middle of the Windscreen, so be careful people! Wink

I also never leave it in the car, (incase someone does get very close and manages to spot the arm)
stix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your loss fatmanscoop...

I would say don't leave anything in the car that you would still like to be there when you get back. Take it with you.[/b]
HOG
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad Well I make a point of never leaving the mount in the car when I am away from it. When at home I bring the lot in to the house, when out and about I put the lot in the boot.

But I am very worried now as I did not think of the possibility of some low life following me?

So I have a Jeep Cherokee does anyone know where I can go and buy/look at alternative mounts so I can position it in a much less visible place?

Thanks for any advice and sorry for all those of you that have been had by scumbags who feel they have the right to take what others have earned and paid for!
bmwman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In one of his (many) promisory speeches didn't El Presidente Blair state that he would "stamp out crime - and the causes of crime"?

Spontaneous porcine aviation.

Regards,
Rich
bmwman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In one of his (many) promisory speeches didn't El Presidente Blair state that he would "stamp out crime - and the causes of crime"?

Spontaneous porcine aviation.

Regards,
Rich
Bobm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think he said it more than once too.... Laughing

Sorry spent the last hour fitting an external Tom Tom aerial to the car and the heat has got to me.
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: CAUTION !!!!!!! Reply with quote

fatmanscoop wrote:
hi all i have just had my tt classic and docking bay stolen from my car while i was in Morrisins in Nottingham. My TT was hidden in my boot under a carpet but the thief knew were to look ..so to all tt owners these units are now becoming a must for the car thief. My local police told me that they have at least 40 tt a week reported as stolen... SO BE CAREFUL please ..my insurance are going to cover the cost of the tt and repair my car but this is not the point..

take care out there

I don't know if others have the same problem - but the TomTom leaves a tell tale circle on windscreen after being removed - so I have glass cleaner and cloth in car, and when removing the mount clean this and finger marks off the windscreen
fatmanscoop
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the messages of support.

my car is being repaired today and my insurance have sent me a cheque for my tt and external aerial, so i'll be be back in the land of tt next week.The new one will go everywhere with me including the dock mount. Heard from a friend in Dudley last night who as had his tt taken from Merry Hill shopping centre same m.o out of his boot and the docking arm gave it away....what scum do we live amongst..Bombers, thiefs. ect. Where as the decent people in Britain gone.If people want a tt that bad BUY one like we all had to.

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE PEOPLE YOU DON'T KNOW WHO IS WATCHING
Snig
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatmanscoop wrote:
BE CAREFUL OUT THERE PEOPLE YOU DON'T KNOW WHO IS WATCHING

Did you put the TTG in the boot after parking up at Morrisons? I reckon people hang around looking to see what gets left behind.

If I'm going to have to leave something in the boot, I always try to make sure it's there before I park up - not so easy with SatNav stuff, mind. :-)

Anyways, I wonder how many of these thefts are really down to them seeing the mount and how many down to them seeing what's just been put in the boot.

It'd be interesting to hear from people who've had their cars broken into when the TTG wasn't there. I often leave the mount on display in the car, depending on the location and length of stay, but I never leave the TTG.

Regards,
Mark.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: