Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigator 5 on XDAIIs - GPS probs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigator 5 on XDAIIs - GPS probs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PetrolTed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Navigator 5 on XDAIIs - GPS probs Reply with quote

I've recently installed Navigator 5 on my O2 XDA IIs. Out of the box it all worked fine with the TomTom wired GPS device.

Since then it's worked intermittently and now I can't get the damn thing to work at all.

On starting up TomTom the software says "GPS signal was lost 30 seconds ago" or "Waiting for valid GPS signal".

When I go into setup/config, the screen shows no satellites picked up (but doesn't say "No GPS" so it's obviously talking to the device successfully).

The top right of the screen has some sort of 'UTC' clock ticking away. What's that?

Anyway, has anyone got any ideas as to why the device is now not picking up signals? It has worked, so the device isn't suffering any sort of hardware failure, just some sort of config nonsense I guess.

All help greatly appreciated - having had it working a few times, it's driving me mad now that it's not!
PetrolTed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can no one offer any hints please? Sad

The fact that the UTC clock is showing in the top right of the config window must mean that it's found at least one satellite?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ben using inrfa-red or had the XDA docked to an external keyboard, as either will tie up the serial port - and then no GPS signal, have you got any GPS info coming through to the device? - just a couple of thoughts as I don't know that software too well, but either scenario will cause the XDA to lock out the GPS - Mike
PetrolTed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thought Mike. Not done either of those so that's not it (and IR is disabled).

It does recognise the GPS as it changes from "No GPS" to "Valid GPS signal lost 30 secs ago" or something similar.

The clock that it displays is wrong though which may be another clue.

What is inside the TomTom GPS unit? Does it have any sort of memory or does unplugging it reset it?
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It does recognise the GPS as it changes from "No GPS" to "Valid GPS signal lost 30 secs ago" or something similar.

That's the standard TTN5 message for having detected a GPS but waiting for the GPS to obtain a fix. Has the GPS a clear view of the sky? Also at times a fix can take quite a long time to obtain, especially if at all shielded.

Roger
PetrolTed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried in a number of locations and on a number of journeys. When it worked it locked on within seconds, I've not had it working now for days Sad
PetrolTed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the green light on the GPS signify anything useful? It's a constant green when plugged in.
Crocodile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wired GPS mouse should flash when it has a fix. Try unplugging it overnight & then reconnecting & leaving it stationary to see if it gets a fix then.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: