Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Narrow Roads in TTN5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Narrow Roads in TTN5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoyC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am unsure of the source of Teleatlas data but my guess is that Mark is correct.

An interesting aside is that my concern stemmed from the road in which I live because it is simply not navigable by large vehicles yet is included in the TT routing causing increasing chaos and danger here.

I have just looked at the TT map and it appears as if the road to the south of my house is a designated B road - correctly , yet the road north from my house ( the same road) is designated 'Unnamed Road'.

By what logic could any sensib;e routing software chose an Unnamed road. Yes I am aware that many local roads designated as Unnamed are in fact perfectly navigable but it should at least flag up a warning in the 'mind' of the routing engine. Surely it would not be within the wit of man to introduce an option 'Ignore Unnamed Roads' - obviously this will have to be overridden when there is absolutely no alternative.

Am I over simplifying again?

Roy
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoyC wrote:

By what logic could any sensib;e routing software chose an Unnamed road. Yes I am aware that many local roads designated as Unnamed are in fact perfectly navigable but it should at least flag up a warning in the 'mind' of the routing engine. Surely it would not be within the wit of man to introduce an option 'Ignore Unnamed Roads' - obviously this will have to be overridden when there is absolutely no alternative.

Am I over simplifying again?

Roy

I assume you mean unclassified rather than unnamed?

You are going to run into trouble there. Sure avoiding unclassified roads when out in the country is probably going to be a good idea which is going to keep you on decent routes. But remember the majority of the roads in towns are 'unclassified', the street I live in certainly is, as is the road I have to turn into out of that, and the one after that and so on for about 2 miles until I reach a numbered road. So it might work in the middle of your trip but it would make it very difficult when close to your start or destination!
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You are going to run into trouble there. Sure avoiding unclassified roads when out in the country is probably going to be a good idea which is going to keep you on decent routes. But remember the majority of the roads in towns are 'unclassified', the street I live in certainly is, as is the road I have to turn into out of that, and the one after that and so on for about 2 miles until I reach a numbered road. So it might work in the middle of your trip but it would make it very difficult when close to your start or destination!

I agree with you that you cannot avoid unclassified roads completely but what can be done is to give them a very low preference, i.e. to only use them when there is no alternative.

I have just been looking at an alternative to TTN5 and by means of an add-on it allows the adjustment of Road Speeds and Road Preferences for eight different classes of road. In addition there are different settings for when in, or outside of, a town. That's a total of 32 different settings compared with TTN5's Fastest, Shortest and a few other odd options.

Comparing the calculated routes, after a very small amount of adjustment, with TTN5's routes the difference was amazing. No unclassified roads unless absolutely neccessary at the beginning or end of a journey.

I think for TomTom it's a case of could do better!! Provide some means of adjustment of Road Speeds and Road Preferences.

Roger
RoyC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - agree with both Mark & Roger. Avoid unclassified UNLESS there is no alternative.

Roger- what is this product? Either let the Forum know or send PM. I would like to investigate it - but I have to say I would much prefer TT to add this feature because in all other respects it does exactly what it says on the tin.

Roy
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What is this product? Either let the Forum know or send PM. I would like to investigate it - but I have to say I would much prefer TT to add this feature because in all other respects it does exactly what it says on the tin.

It's Navigon 5 together with a separate utility, Mini4Inis5, which is available on the NaviFriends website http://www.navifriends.com/ for adjusting the profiles.

I didn't mention the product since I wouldn't recommend it as a replacement for TTN5, just as an example of the routing that can be acheived with other products.

I acheived the results by significantly reducing the preferences for the last three road categories for each profile. For the Lorry profile reduced them to 50%, for the standard profile reduced them to 25 to 30% of the original values. All the speed settings remained the same.

As you say, I would much rather TT to add this feature.

Roger

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: