Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom (TTN5 UK Maps) Who conning who?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom (TTN5 UK Maps) Who conning who?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike30
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Tomtom (TTN5 UK Maps) Who conning who? Reply with quote

Emailed Tomtom today (no reply as Yet)

The question is why provide the means to log error maps on Tomtom Web Site and do absolutely nothing about them in the new Navigator 5 package?

The Locations I reported to Tomtom were Standsted/M11 (New High way) @ Junction 8 and A120 to Braintree Essex and A130 to Basildon Essex.

Now what is going on here? I thought with the new Maps they would be at least rectified by now surly?
Please do not let Tomtom off with their flimsy excuses “well these are the product of another map organization” on me, because my contract is with Tomtom. I would like to know why us “the Customer seem too been forgotten here” go to the effort of reporting errors on Tomtom web site and still nothing is done about it, since they were reported well over 6-8 months ago.
We are not talking about some small insignificant locations here, we are talking about a International Airport and two Major Roads A120 & A130 in Essex UK at least.

I cannot be the only customer that is experiencing these problems and if so, we should all email Tomtom and complain.
What do you all think???

TomTom Support Team
tt-uk@www.tomtom.com
javascript:emoticon('Evil or Very Mad')
Evil or Very Mad
gtv
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that nav5 has more map errors on it, in my area I had no problems with the nav3 maps but now I have upgradedI have found a numeber of errors inc driving on the wrong side of a river! Angry
TuurG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Tomtom (TTN5 UK Maps) Who conning who? Reply with quote

mike30 wrote:

The question is why provide the means to log error maps on Tomtom Web Site and do absolutely nothing about them in the new Navigator 5 package?

The Locations I reported to Tomtom were Standsted/M11 (New High way) @ Junction 8 and A120 to Braintree Essex and A130 to Basildon Essex.

Now what is going on here? I thought with the new Maps they would be at least rectified by now surly?
.. since they were reported well over 6-8 months ago.

If you realize that the latest map release included the TeleAtlas release 2004.2 (September 2004), then there is no way your error reports of 6-8 month ago could have been included.
That doesn't mean it's ok to have a lot of errors in the map data, but you say it's a new highway. I'd say that if that new highway was not completed before July 2004, you should not expect it to be in the data.
sooty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have reported many map errors for my area, including T junctions replaced by roundabouts, new roads, and naming errors to both TomTom and Teleatlas, going back as far as version 2 and more recently a 7 mile bypass that was opened in May 2004.

All the errors are sill present in V5 and none of the the new roads have been added.

A friend of mine has a fixed sat nav system in his car which uses Navteq maps. Had a quick look the other night and sure enough all the new roads and junctions that I had reported were present and correct including a new estate just down the road from my house which was only completed at the end of 2004.

Poor show Tomtom & Teleatlas.
ldavey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have medion nav 4.4 on my PPC aswell as TomTom ... and medion maps are way way more uptodate for my area ...

i.e a major piece of road which connects to the motorway here is all uptodate on TomTom ... used to be a roundabout but was turned into a huge Junction almost two years ago ... This is a major piece of road with tons of lanes so COMON teleatlas this is just not acceptable IMO you are ruining TOMTOM !!

I LOV tomtom but i cant justify using it with these shoddy maps so am forced to use my Medion Sad
I_Need_Help
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reported a flyover direct to the mapping company and it may be luck but its in TTN5!

But it did try to take me off the M11 South bound a little before stanstead the other day, yes there was road linking the M11 but it is not for public access!!
mike30
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The M11/J8 to Standted Airport/ A120 to Braintree & A130 to Basildon were comleted in 2003 so what is Tomtom excuse here?
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: Haddintton to Dunbar Reply with quote

Driving back from Edinburgh on the A1 'Haddington to Dunbar expressway' with TomTom3 it doesn't recognise the road and desperately tries to get you back onto the old road which is a few hundred metres away. I thought no problem, this will certainly be fixed in TomTom5.

Well I've just checked and it isn't! This road was opened on 14th April 2004, and known about for years before that. And yet it's not in the maps. Rolling Eyes
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it is difficult where major road projects are concenrned, because you can't commit yourself until they are built. People would soon complain if their TomTom maps tried taking them down roads that had been cancelled.

BTW, I have a late 1970's London A to Z that shows the M23 extending round Croydon and ending in Mitcham. The land was bought, the plans were in place - the money was allocated - then Margaret Thatcher got elected and it died in the early 80's cut backs. That is why there are no junctions 1-6 on the M23. But the A to Z didn't know that when it went to print.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are, of course, correct. But all it takes it a bit forward planning. Teleatlas would have known about the new part of the A1 at least two years in advance (if they didn't they should all fall on their swords now!). They could have got the construction plans and provisionally put the road into the database ready for opening.

Then on the week after the road opened they send their GPS van do to a drive along it and make sure everything is where they expect it to be and bobs your uncle.

It's not something that should take years! Small errors in residential streets are understandable, omitting major road shemes is not.
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok people, remember TOMTOM DON'T MAKE THE MAPS! They buy them from TeleAtlas. You can report map errors all you like to TomTom, but if TeleAtlas don't fix them there's nothing TomTom can do about it.
CJackel492
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navteq do appear to have better maps,

There's a new by-pass near me which has been there for well over a year now and it's still not in the teleatlas maps, but it is in navteq maps,

I bet when the next lot of maps are released from TomTom, we will be over charged again and still have map error's,

Carl,
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's not something that should take years! Small errors in residential streets are understandable, omitting major road shemes is not.

I quite agree. My local town bypass, named Millenium Way, was completed in 2000, as the name suggests.

TTN5 still show this as part completed ending in a dead end. The Navteq maps have shown this correctly since 2001.

There are another 5 major map errors within 2 miles of where I live and these are not new roads but roads which have been in existence for at least 50 years. Needless to say these are all shown correctly on the Navteq maps.

If I could find a navigation application that matched TTN5 but with Navteq maps I would change without a second thought.

Roger
mike30
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am Sick and Tired of the Woolly brigade being so complacent here!!
Because the Teleatlas Maps were sold to Tomtom and we the “Customer” should just say “ok, it’s not your fault Tomtom you’re a victim just like us” what a load of rubbish.

If Teleatlas can’t get it right and Navteq can “well goodbye Teleatlas and Hello Navteq”.

Stop using the Phrase it’s not me GOV its Teleatlas crap!!!
Filler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: tt5 mapping Reply with quote

my housing estate has been built for 5 years, and tt5 still only knows half of it, and as reported in other threads, doesn't even know that Northern Ireland exists!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Blackberry Storm
iphone 3gs

Kenwood 5520bt with garmin built in
TT wired GPS - Rikaline Bluetooth 6030 GPS - CF307 CF card GPS - 512mb sd card - sprite full updated, and tt3 , 3.07. 256mb CF card - Win XP SP2 upgrad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: