Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTN5 - Mio 168??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTN5 - Mio 168??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: TTN5 - Mio 168?? Reply with quote

Is TTN5 compatible with Mio 168??

has anyone installed it and is happy with the way it works???

Would I be better off waiting??

Thanks
ARH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it works fine with my mio 168.
keencyclist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Mio 168 Reply with quote

I recently bought a Mio 168 which had co pilot 5 on it, I have since loaded tom tom 5 on it and it is much better. Plus you can use it in landscape mode.
Spark1e
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mate's got a Mio168 with TT5 on it & he's pretty happy with it so far, apart from 1 problem - it connects up to the satellites ok, but it doesn't show him how many he's connected to 8O 8O
boomshanka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been running TT5 om my MIO 168 for about a week now. IF you do what everybody else has and apply the fixes posted on this forum then it will work on a 168. I think you will be able to live with it until an update comes out. Its still a bit slow at getting a fix and holding it at first but once you get locked on to 4 or 5 sats it runs pretty well. Good thing about a Mio is you can turn it on a couple of minutes before hand so it has a fix by the time you get to the car. Unlike spark1es mate mine does show the satellite strengths. Usually 1 short on the number of sats though. The settings for the GPS are :-
Other cable NMEA GPS
4800 baud rate
Serial Cable on SP2

Mio 168
512 Kingston SD Card
Andy_
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those comments are sounding a bit more positive!!!

I have heard so many bad reports - one was that you can't install check point on it?? one said you can but no sound files???

Does it work anywhere near as well as TTN3 or in anyones opinion is it better??

Can you navigate to: from outlook contacts?

Thanks

Andy
lamplight
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using TTN5 on my Mio 168 for two weeks now - driving most of the day and in very different areas. Originally, I wasn't over enthusiastic and I moaned about it, wondering if I should have kept TTN3. That version had become something of special friend, having seen me through a few tough journeys and life events in the past year or so. So, I'll admit that I almost resented the different feel that the changes had given to the upgrade.

But, after some extensive use, I have changed my mind and agree with everything boomshanka says.

One factor for my prejudice against TTN5 might just lie in the fact that until a few days ago, I was running it on TomTom Cable GPS, instead of the Other NMEA SP2 setting Embarassed . Since realising what I had done and changing to right settings, screen movements are smoother, picking up more sats, and starting from cold has got really quick. (Got it on my desk now picking up 8).

Really impressed now with the landscape capability and that, as long as you don't select more than 4 status bar options, speed, arrival time, distance to travel etc are larger and clearer.

Postcode has got me to the door every time.

Perhaps the menus are still not as intruitive and readily accessible as I found on TTN3, and I miss being able to add my own speedcam locations on CheckPoint, but I guess the new version won't be too long coming.
lamplight
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lamplight wrote:
(Got it on my desk now picking up 8).

That was meant to read picking up 8 (sats)
gorks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work's fine on mine too.

Mine does show the number of satellites, and it's very quick obtaining a fix and it holds it fine (the only time I found it having trouble keeping an accurate signal was yesterday on a plane @ 500mph.....although it settled down after 10 minutes or so and worked fine).....

I also run mine in landscape mode, and did have a problem where it would occasionally lose the signal very briefly (this due to the antenna being sideways and not looking up so I'm told), but since attaching the supplied external antenna it has worked flawlessly.
jamiepyoung
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

specifically, which fixes? i'm a bit lost now with the chat about TT5!

boomshanka wrote:
Ive been running TT5 om my MIO 168 for about a week now. IF you do what everybody else has and apply the fixes posted on this forum then it will work on a 168. I think you will be able to live with it until an update comes out. Its still a bit slow at getting a fix and holding it at first but once you get locked on to 4 or 5 sats it runs pretty well. Good thing about a Mio is you can turn it on a couple of minutes before hand so it has a fix by the time you get to the car. Unlike spark1es mate mine does show the satellite strengths. Usually 1 short on the number of sats though. The settings for the GPS are :-
Other cable NMEA GPS
4800 baud rate
Serial Cable on SP2

Mio 168
512 Kingston SD Card
LiveLifeGoJump
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very first impressions for me were that TTN 5 was not as easy to use & missing a number of things TTN 3 could do but after playing with it & using it for a couple of journeys I like the way it works better than TTN 3 so will not be switching back. I find it slightly slower logging on to Sats but think that is due to it being used in landscape mode (if i'm in a hurry I save the 10 seconds by holding the unit vertical until it gets a lock). Using the speed camera database (this site) & audible warnings from Ray Flanagan's web site eliminates the need for checkpoint. If you use Memory Map then you will find that as TTN 5 no longer hogs the com port (if you exit properly), GPSgate is not needed. Customised menus are posible, follow the thread on this site. Maps in my location are better. The method of notification seems to have changed ('cross the roundabout, second exit then turn left' but the left hand turn may not be for upto 300 yards [and there may be left hand turns before the one you want], it will bhe announced correctly as you approach the one you need to take. Perhaps this advanced warning needs a rethink by Tomtom. Also the audible warnings are sometimes slightly late but this only effect the 'last warning' (at 70 approaching a slip road you can be on the slip road itself before the final warning is given, is the distance not speed related?). Deviate from the planned route & TTN 5 recalculates new route quicker & better than TTN 3 did. Walking route is not that good. It takes you on the roads you would use if driving but will take you down a one way street the wrong way if it is quicker. It does not take into account the fact that a number of roads (especially in towns & cities) are blocked to traffic by bollards and/or path (making them effectly a cul-de-sac for road traffic but through access for pedestrians) so it may be of limited use, it will get you there walking but may make you walk further than you need.

My Mia 168 appears to lag slightly when travelling fast. Other than this the Mia works better with TTN 5 than TTN 3, in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

Norman
mr_stu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi i got a Mitac Mio 168 and Tom Tom 3 and Tom Tom 5.

If some people could answer a few questions for me i'd be very gratful.

Postcode on TOm Tom 5. Am i missing something? Is there something you can simple type in a post like B98 9LR (not my post code before you think that. Laughing Out Loud) and it will take you there? Coz all i could find was it will accept the first bit say B98 then the number of the 2nd bit "8" so B98 8.
Then thats it i need to know the street name and all sorts to get there. Am i missing something?

ANd whats this "landscape" mode your on aobut where it's slower and so on? Am i missing something again there?

Also i installed about 27 POI's from this web site like Mcdonalds and Holiday Inns and so on, and the speed cam database, programewd it into Tom Tom 5, with the audio warnings, and i had about 7 favourtes. soon as i restarted Tom Tom 5, it forgoet all my favourtes and Audio Warning settings.
Am i doing something wrong? Or anything?
If anyone can help me, post on here or please email me at stu@mrstu.co.uk. I paid for the upgrade for Tom Tom 5 and these little thigs above are doing my head in and i have ataully had to down grade to Tom TOm 3 again.

Thanks in advance.

Stu.
gorks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_stu wrote:
ANd whats this "landscape" mode your on aobut where it's slower and so on? Am i missing something again there?

Click "Change Preferences", then the next arrow 5 times and then the "Rotate Screen" option.
LiveLifeGoJump
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_stu wrote:
Hi i got a Mitac Mio 168 and Tom Tom 3 and Tom Tom 5.

If some people could answer a few questions for me i'd be very gratful.

Postcode on TOm Tom 5. Am i missing something? Is there something you can simple type in a post like B98 9LR (not my post code before you think that. Laughing Out Loud) and it will take you there? Coz all i could find was it will accept the first bit say B98 then the number of the 2nd bit "8" so B98 8.
Then thats it i need to know the street name and all sorts to get there. Am i missing something?

Also i installed about 27 POI's from this web site like Mcdonalds and Holiday Inns and so on, and the speed cam database, programewd it into Tom Tom 5, with the audio warnings, and i had about 7 favourtes. soon as i restarted Tom Tom 5, it forgoet all my favourtes and Audio Warning settings.
Am i doing something wrong? Or anything?
If anyone can help me, post on here or please email me at stu@mrstu.co.uk. I paid for the upgrade for Tom Tom 5 and these little thigs above are doing my head in and i have ataully had to down grade to Tom TOm 3 again.

Thanks in advance.

Stu.

1 Postcodes

Have you created an empty directory on your SD card called TomTom? Are you using the 'Nav to postcode' icon on page 2 of the various route planning menus (Navigate to - advanced planning etc.)?

2 Landscape Mode

Mune - Change Preferences - next page to P6 - Rotate Screen.

3 Fogetting POI & Favs etc.

Can't help you there mine worked first time and remembers them but it might be worth re-installing TTN 5 then trying ONE favorite or POI warning. If that works add a few more. If they work then download the others (one at a time & try them until you hit a problem). Could it be shortage of memory?

WHERE'S LUTZ when you need him? He's the man to ask on this forum.
mr_stu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya,

Thanks for the reply.....

Tried the landscape mode. now i understand what its for. Thats cool.
As for losing my POI warning and favs, it works fine now. I re installed TT5, and also i took the great-brit map file forgot it's exstention, on this forum somewhere, and then put it on my computer, changed it from a read only file to normal and all is cool and ok now so thats cool.

the post code...

Tap the screen, click on "Navigate to..."
then go to page 2 and click on "Post Code"

then i type in the post code B98 8SE (my post code, dont care if u know where i live), and all that comes up is...

B98 9 (Redditch). It wont just take me to the B98 8SE.
So anyway i click on that option above. Then it asks for my Street name. where i type in my street name and then house number.

I have read other places Tom Tom 5 has 7 digit post code. So i can just type in B98 8SE and then it takes me there? This not the case then???

Stu.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: