Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 5 probelm
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 5 probelm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rogbear
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: TomTom 5 probelm Reply with quote

Sad
I received my upgrade last week and installed it. All has gone well until today.

It kept on losing the signal from my Pretec Compact GPS-LP, then started lagging behind my position and finally lost the GPS signal altogether. Even a complete reboot of the system could not get it back.. The Pretec software worked fine and all satellite data was received but TomTom would not see it. All the settings were correct.

Uninstalled TT5 and re-installed TT3 and everything worked correctly.

I tried to logon to TT support but it would not let me in even though my username (e-mail) and password were typed in correctly.

AND ...

All passthroughs on TT5 have been disabled so neither TrafCam or CheckPOInt work, but, guess what ... TomTom have relaesed their own Traffic Camera system for their product at €69!!

I wonder if they got the database from this site.

Really niffed!!!
Nomada
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom 5 probelm Reply with quote

Hi Rogbear,

rogbear wrote:

Do you think? No... probably no... or...

But sure they picked up the best ideas, like to have a lot of staff working for free, isn't it? Saddly the forgot to contract that staff to get the ideas working properly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom 5 probelm Reply with quote

rogbear wrote:
Sad

All passthroughs on TT5 have been disabled so neither TrafCam or CheckPOInt work, but, guess what ... TomTom have relaesed their own Traffic Camera system for their product at €69!!

Really niffed!!!

Thanks for the update

Welcome to our world :D

only kidding - ttn5 has issues with proper cf gps units as the lp has to use a software com port I would guess your chances of sucess with tomtom support are about as good as the Lions chances In NZ - I can't offer any help - unless "gps port" is shown in com port options in gps config screen I would think you are screwed, either stick with ttn3 or ebay ther pretec and upgrade.

Ian
rogbear
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS Port is shown and did work for about a week and then stopped receiving data even though the port was still there and active.
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an lp in a drawer somewhere - despite some crappy reviews I always found it ok - providing I used an external antenna.

As it was working and you have the software port perhaps just try changing the gps type and baud rates.

The ttn5 gps configuration is a massive step backwards (simpler does not make it easier for everyone).

Not sure what else to suggest. One thing though, I don't think an update to ttn5 will not help you much as tomtom don't appear to have any interest in harware other than their own - likewise you get no help from their support.

Good luck

Ian
aboero463
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogbear wrote:
GPS Port is shown and did work for about a week and then stopped receiving data even though the port was still there and active.

I have the same gps and simlar story. Yesterday suddenly, no gps appeared. I started (by chance and error) ttngps which was the one working for TTN3. Ceched there was CF Pretec GPS as usual, closed, reopened Navigator 5 and after selecting wired and 4600 as speed, next screen i found again - among other ports and alternatives - my Pretec GPS.
Tapped on it and TTN5 is working again. Do not know why and how but this happened.
Can confirm that firts fix is slow but then navigation is fluid.
Pucci
rogbear
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried it again today, re-installed TT5 and the Pretec software but still not working. The Pretec software sees the satellites and gets a 3D lock ok but TT5 no go.

Still can't login to the TT site.

On the plus side I re-installed TT3 and managed to get the CheckPOInt software and database running so at least I have speed camera detectio working again. I am not going to bother with Trafcam again it mnakes too many mistaked i.e. misses cameras etc.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll try the TomTom contact details posted here.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

although tomtom have released there own camera database you can still use ours with the in built warning system as i recall cf receavers arent really supported in tt 5

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
aboero463
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogbear wrote:
Tried it again today, re-installed TT5 and the Pretec software but still not working. The Pretec software sees the satellites and gets a 3D lock ok but TT5 no go.

There is something not clear for me.. When you say you get a fix , you mean with other gps software, not TomTom?
Again, please follow my previous post: start TomTom GPS from an older version (3? you may download from TomTom site) start it and close. Launch Navigator5 goto gps setting , select other wired gps, select speed at 4800 and then you should reach a page with a bunch of ports and gps to select from. Now you should see PRETEC GPS among other: tap on it and wait. Of course you need an external additional antenna otherwise you gps has a too poor signal but this was already necessary also for Navigator 3.
Pucci

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: