Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Address Search
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Address Search

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sarge4000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Address Search Reply with quote

Hi all.

Only found this site today and I'm new to this Sat Nav thing - uses to use Wife V1 but she keeps breaking down Smile)

Anyway. I'm interested in the Quest due to it's multiple uses (car, bike, walk etc.) but I'm a bit confused to how you search for destinations.

Some web pages suggest you can do postcode searches - yet others say not.

Can anyone confirm either way please.
Could you run me through the destination search process please, as this will help me understand the information required.

My final question at this stage is can the Quest find a house in France from their postcode equivalent?

Thanks

Ian
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Address Search Reply with quote

sarge4000 wrote:
Only found this site today and I'm new to this Sat Nav thing - uses to use Wife V1 but she keeps breaking down Smile)

Yeah, I had that problem too. I tried navigating myself and letting wife V1 drive but there was a bit of a problem with erratic behavour and the occasional crash. It got worse once the car was loaded up with children 1 and 2. :x

Quote:
Could you run me through the destination search process please, as this will help me understand the information required.

You press Find and it gives you lots of options to find things. eg: Recently found places, locations you have marked, points of interest (Fuel, food and drink, hotels, airports etc) or Addresses.

It doesn't do full postcode lookups. Let's say I am looking for this address:

89 Acacia Road
FALMOUTH Cornwall
TR11 2JZ

It would be nice to enter the house number and postcode and have the GPS tell you what the address is and route there, but it doesn't work like that. Crying or Very sad

Here's what you have to do:

Step 1. You select Addresses and it asks you which country. You can select England, choose a country from a list or search all countries. I'll select England.

Step 2. It asks what city you want. You can search in all cities or enter a city name. I'll select Search All Cities.

Step 3. Enter a number and a street. I'll enter the number 89 and the street "Acacia". It gives me the choice of Acacia, Acacia Farm, Acacia House or Acacia Park. I choose "Acacia"

Step 4. I get a scrolling list of about 25 addresses. eg:
89 Acacia Road, Falmouth, TR11 2
89 Acacia Close, Bideford, EX39 3
89 Acacia Close, Yarlside, LA13 0
etc

From there, I the one I know is correct based on the partial "TR11 2" of the "TR11 2JZ" postcode. It is usable, but can be a bit tedious. I tend to mark the addresses of places I am going to using the map on the PC and then upload the locations into the Quest. That way I can look them up quickly in the My Locations section. You can also pre-plan complex routes using Mapsource on your PC and upload the routes to the Quest.

When they talk about postcodes, this is generally what they mean. The postcode only confirms that you have the street in the right area, you can't actually enter a post code and be routed to that area (not even a partial postcode).

I understand that one of the few exceptions is TomTom 5 which has "Full Postcode" search so you could enter "TR11 2JZ" and it would take you to somewhere quite near Acacia Road. I think it works by translating the postcode into a grid reference rather than a street address so it wouldn't take you right to number 89.

As for France, I can search for an address and it comes up with the postcode, but you can't enter the postcode and have it find the address from that. ie, I enter:

693 Gaston Berthe
Calais

and it tells me that the address is:

693 Digue Gaston Berthe
Calais, 62100
France

I have a feeling that postcodes in France (and most other countries) are nowhere near as area specific as in the UK where they identify a particular street.

The Quest is a nice little GPS unit. It works quite well in the car and it's waterproof for use outdoors. The battery lasts > 16 hours and you can charge it from the mains or car adaptor.

You can't load non-Garmin maps (eg OS landranger) on it.

Probably the biggest drawback is that although you can load the speed camera database into it, you can't have it alert you when you approach one of the cameras (this may or may not be important to you).

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with my Quest after a negative experience with CoPilot (buggy, crashes, routing problems, bluetooth problems). You just switch the Quest on and it works. The wife loves it too - no more reading maps so everyone can relax knowing exactly where we are going and roughly when we will be there (are we there yet?). She even uses it herself when she is driving an unfamiliar route.
sarge4000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spot on - thanks!

Ian

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: