Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - fortuna slim very very good
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

fortuna slim very very good

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aliendad
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject: fortuna slim very very good Reply with quote

I travel to work from romford (somebody has too) to liverpool street,
before my fortuna slim arrived i tested the old tomtom receiver (not the latest one) the only way to get a signal was to hold the receiver up to the window, i tried the fortuna slim this morning on the train and had the slim in my pocket and it was the pocket facing away from the window.

got 8 sat's and was even able to follow the route! the arrow stayed on the train line unless there was a very close road and then the arrow jumped across whilst the road was close enough.

very very impressed

ps using with nokia 6600 & ttm5 and was very simple to install
mstockha
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Seconded! Reply with quote

I managed to lose my clip on last week (doh) and had just bought a slim for my brother in law and was impressed. Having had mine for 3 whole days now, its DEFINITELY more sensitive than the clip on with the more recent firmware, and detects walking and cycling speeds and locations better. Works with all my toys and apps, all I need to test it on now is a plane!

Ten out of ten as far as I am concerned!

MS

ipaq 3630, Pretec CF GPS, Ipaq 5550 Fortuna Slim GPS, TTNAV 5.10 w traffic , SPV C500
Pedro-G
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to decide with BT GPS Sirf III receiver to get.

How does the Fortuna Slim operate when for example stopping and/or walking slowly? Does it have "static navigation", I mean does it freeze your position and then require you to walk some 40m or so before updating you position? Or does it "jump around" when you stop or walk slowly, like some units? Or does it just show your place correctly all the time, even when walking slowly?

Have you tried it inside buildings, in basements (underground), in shopping centres etc.? How's the fix?

Also, what is the "logic" of each of the three LED lights (Bluetooth, GPS Fix and Power)? I mean when does each LED lit, when do they flash etc.?
Pedro-G
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Typo in my previous post, fist line: "...which...receiver to get.")

Also, I realize that EGNOS doesn't operate fully yet, but can you somehow confirm that the Fortuna Slim is factually SBAS-capable (WAAS/EGNOS)? Unlike Globalsat BT-338, which appers not to be, although it's been advertised so.
mstockha
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Walking and flashing lights Reply with quote

Lights

Bluetooth - "pulses" in use, not too distracting even when mounted on the dashboard in the wifes Polo

Signal - solid red when unlocked, solid green when locked

Power - Solid Red / Amber / Green for low batt / charging / fully charged

Walking, cycling and stationary - There is a lot less "movement" of the current position, when I have a clear view of the sky its solid, if I am indoors it is obviously "processing" the signal and there is some creep. When walking I have found an almost instant (1/2 second) response to speed increase/decrease and stopping, so would use this for walking and biking without hesitation (I would not say the same about the clip on)

WAAS/EGNOS - not dug that deep yet, but from a users perspective this is a VERY accurate receiver, still not sure if I would trust a GPS up a mountain, but this unit might convince me, I'll keep you posted!

MS

ipaq 3630, Pretec CF GPS, Ipaq 5550 Fortuna Slim GPS, TTNAV 5.10 w traffic , SPV C500
aliendad
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

most has already been said,
but one thing to add,
was helping a friend put up a sky dish at the weekend and thought i would use the compass in tomtom to help. i turned on the slim & tomtom, got a provisional location, then just walked about 2 to 3 feet across the decking and the map and compass rotated, i was very impressed.
Pedro-G
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks dudes for the replies! Sounds like a really impressive unit performance-wise, just what I need. Also the LED's seem to be operating sensibly, I don't like it when they blink continuously during normal operation, like in many units.

The only thing I'm still thinking about is that the Fortuna Slim has version 3.02 of the Sirf firmware, which is not the latest. It's the same as in the Globalsat BT-338. People have reported some oddities with that firmware, see the Jet Lag thread for example. Sirf has acknowledged this (see Carl@Sirf's posts in the Jet Lag thread) and issued upgrades, version 3.1.1 is the latest (in the Royaltek RBT-2001). I haven't seen anything that points towards the firmware in the Fortuna Slim beeing upgradable, at least by user.

I'm leaning towards the Fortuna Slim for many reasons, however if you have a chance to travel with it by plane to another country/continent, I'd be interested to hear if it suffers from "Jet Lag". That is: difficulty to get a fix when turned off in one place, then travel for a considerable distance, and then turned on again. Only a cold reset to clear the ephemeris data has solved this problem. Maybe not a show-stopper for me, but I'd like to know.

Here is a link to see the firmware versions of current units.
mstockha
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:09 am    Post subject: Interesting Reply with quote

Well you learn something new every day.

I will be flying on 20th August with my unit, I'll post the results when I see them.

MS

BigH
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I have the older (original) fortuna clip on with latest firmware and I got it working on a flight to Japan on a 747!! I could not check the lag as I had no maps for Russia, plus the fact I was at 35,000 feet so how could you check it anyway!! At least it showed the right speed and heading and also the correct elevation. I can only imagine the latest version is even better.

BigH

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: