Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Go 300 Poor Reception....
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Go 300 Poor Reception....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
premo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: TomTom Go 300 Poor Reception.... Reply with quote

Hi All

I have just E-mailed TomTom re the Go 300. I have just driven a 4.2 mile journy. TomTom go was unable to get a fix the whole journy I then set up my PDA And tomtom 5 with a tomtom bluetooth reciver (the old one) I had a fix within 1 min. 6 sats, 50 - 78% signal. tomtom go only had up to 30% signal strength and would not get a fix. both units placed in the same position.

I belive the problem is not with the cars we have but a software / hardware problem with the reciver in the Go 300. If tom tom wish to give me an external antena then ok. but i am not going to buy one. Or maby they can fix the fault with a software / firmware patch. If not then They can give me a full Refund.

Who else feels this way?

Regards

Premo
hegedusa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom Go 300 Poor Reception.... Reply with quote

premo wrote:
Hi All

I have just E-mailed TomTom re the Go 300. I have just driven a 4.2 mile journy. TomTom go was unable to get a fix the whole journy I then set up my PDA And tomtom 5 with a tomtom bluetooth reciver (the old one) I had a fix within 1 min. 6 sats, 50 - 78% signal. tomtom go only had up to 30% signal strength and would not get a fix. both units placed in the same position.

I belive the problem is not with the cars we have but a software / hardware problem with the reciver in the Go 300. If tom tom wish to give me an external antena then ok. but i am not going to buy one. Or maby they can fix the fault with a software / firmware patch. If not then They can give me a full Refund.

Who else feels this way?

Regards

Premo

I've found that as soon as the tomtom go 300 is attached to the mount, the signal strengths drop from high to somewhere below 30.

Try stuffing a piece of paper over the contacts on the car mount.
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is quite possible that you TTG300 has a poor GPS reception, but to be absolutely sure do the the following:

- find an open space with clear view of the sky

- reset your TTG with a paperclip

- switch it on and go to the GPS Status screen (the one with 14 grey bars showing satellite numbers and Signal-to-Noise Ratios)

- wait for the unit to get a fix (three or more bars will go blue) and note how long it took to get the fix from the moment you switched it on.

- write down all cominations of the satellite numbers and corresponding SNRs.(satellite number is shown at the bottom of each bar, SNR value is shown on the top of the satellite number)

If you have two or more satellites with SNRs higher than 39, then your unit is OK.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a thought - you said "placed both units in same place" were they operating at the same time next to each other - I tried this with two identical BT GPS receivers and on another ocasion two wired GPS units, and finally one BT combined with a wired -on each occasion the GPS recievers were unstable failing to lock onto much at all - seperation of the units to both sides of the dash fixed the snag - not too sure why they do this must be some interference they generate - Mike
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike is absolutely correct - other electronic equipment will interfere with GPS reception because there are a number of components radiating signals at frequencies which when combined or simply multiplied will fall in the GPS frequency range, thus degrading GPS reception.
dom30
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

what hegedusa said about the GPS reception reducing as soon as you put the TT in the car mount is correct. If you put the TT on the page that displays the level of reception then place it on your dashboard, let it get a good reception, then simply place it in the mount you should see all the levels reduce. I don't see why the mount should have this effect.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried this several times and can say it DOESN'T make any difference on my unit (Go300)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: