Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - postcode to coords automation
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

postcode to coords automation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Del,

I can't take any credit for the codesearch files, they were created by George Spanellis - a real tour de force. As my program uses his data files I decided to call the program CodeSearch. CodeSearch is available in the Downloads area, follow this http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=15

There is a problem with the bitmap file. I created it using 36 bit colour and TTN will not show it. Now that the email problems have been resolved I will send an update to Dave.

Richard
zoyah
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Del

When I finally finished all of the post code POI files and loaded them onto my SD card, I also got the "many POI's" error. There is definitely a limit within TTN. I have now moved Scotland, Midlands, North East and North West out of my TTN2 Maps directory since I don't go to those parts of the UK often enough (and hence have no errors from TTN). They are still on my SD card so that I can just pop the the relevant area file into the map directory whenever I may possibly need it.

Currently, this is a simple work around and works very well for me. Have never had a problem finding a place and the search speed is not a limiting factor.

I agree that there should be some TTN developer out there who can integrate the info into TTN2 in better way than using POIs, especially since there is a SDK. Some sort of add-in to TTN that adds an extra entry to the "Navigate to..." or "Find Location" options, lets call it "UK postcode" then open the relevant data files and show the location on the map. They would need to rename the data files so that they are not POI files and find a way to disable the extra intelligence that TTN2 has when finding a location (i.e. make the search faster).

Anyone know of any TTN2 programmers?

8)
George

PS: if anyone has a problem finding any postcodes, please list them in this forum and I'll try update the relevant POI file.
Heyou
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies to George about credit for the postcode POI files, i'm new here and am still trying to get my head round the plethora of similar sounding progs/data files etc. I'll get there eventually.

I ran into a problem that stumped me for a day and half. The Axim wouldn't run TTN2 for some reason? I got bored with doing hard resets and reloading the over and over again to try and fix it. I would start TTN2 and nothing would happen, it allowed me to bring up a PPC menu and only when tried to run something else would the wait timer icon appear but it would not go away again until i did a soft reset.

Eventually i found the problem, i hadn't cleared out the CF card, i thought just overwriting the maps etc. was good enough. I deleted everything , reloaded the maps - all OK and them i loaded some POIs - all OK and the culprit was a codesearch OV2 i'd created of 5 postcodes and every time this was in the map directory, TTN2 would not start and eventually it would crash the PPC.

The OV2 had spaces in the filename, i think i read somewhere that spaces in POI filenames cause a problem. leason learned.

Del.
Heyou
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to my previous post, it's not the spaces in the filename! so i#ve done something wrong, i'll keep digging.
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zoyah wrote:
Del

PS: if anyone has a problem finding any postcodes, please list them in this forum and I'll try update the relevant POI file.

George,

The only missing one that I have come across so far is IP3 9AG. :D It is a valid code, recognised by AutoRoute and other maps.

Richard
mountain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard

Would it be possible to port CodeSearch to a PocketPC? It is a great program, but a PocketPC version would be fantastic for when we're out and about. I know there's downloadable C++ and Visual Basic for PocketPC on the microsoft site. (Hint hint Wink )

Now here's me really pushing my luck, what would be even better would be a for someone with the TomTom SDK to do a version that passed the co-ordinates directly into Navigator.

Piers
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piers,

Some time ago I downloaded eVB and created some simple test programs, but I gave it up and concentrated on my PC programs. I have now started to look at it again with a PPC version of CodeSearch in mind. It won't be a quick process as I have to get used to VB again.

As you say a direct link to TTN would be just the thing. Perhaps the author of CheckPOInt would like to tackle this, he has all the tools and the expertise.

Richard
Wook
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello All,

Where can I get my hands on this database of postcodes and locations? all the links on this thread seem to have gone dead!

Cheers, WooK
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mountain wrote:
Richard

Would it be possible to port CodeSearch to a PocketPC? It is a great program, but a PocketPC version would be fantastic for when we're out and about. I know there's downloadable C++ and Visual Basic for PocketPC on the microsoft site. (Hint hint Wink )

Now here's me really pushing my luck, what would be even better would be a for someone with the TomTom SDK to do a version that passed the co-ordinates directly into Navigator.

Piers

Piers,

I have just finished a PocketPC version of CodeSearch that you may like to try. It is written in eVB (it was quite a struggle but I got there in the end). The Postcode files have been converted to binary tree format for fast lookup and these, together with the program are available for download from my website (http://rjdavies.users.btopenworld.com). Look at Programs | CodeSearch | Pocket PC. I have converted all of the Postcode files but I still need to post the remainder.

The program produces a TTN POI overlay which you can access. However, the usual restrictions apply if you want to view a new file, or additions to an existing file. You have to make certain that you exit from TTN and then restart it to see the new POI.

I am going to order the TTN SDK so the interface with TTN will improve.

Good luck. I am the only one to use the program so far :D

Richard
mountain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard

Well done, I don't envy you learning a new programming language (having long ago forgotten the only ones I ever learnt).

I shall download a copy right now and have a play with it over the next few days.

I'll let you know how I got on,

Thanks

Piers
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mountain wrote:
Richard

Well done, I don't envy you learning a new programming language (having long ago forgotten the only ones I ever learnt).

I shall download a copy right now and have a play with it over the next few days.

I'll let you know how I got on,

Thanks

Piers

Well Piers has tried it for me and there some errors have been uncovered. Until I have had a chance to look at them I have disabled the link to the program on my website.

When running the program Piers noticed that some of the retrieved coordinates were incorrect. Almost certainly this is associated with the decoding of binary numbers using eVB. Has anyone a foolproof method? I had to work it out for myself and it would appear not to be 100% effective.

Thanks to Piers for emailing me Thumbs Up

Richard
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Pocket PC version of CodeSearch is available for you to try. It can be downloaded from http://rjdavies.users.btopenworld.com under Programs | CodeSearch | Pocket PC.

Let me know how you get on.

Richard

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: