Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT Say You are luck if TTN5 works! You have been warned!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT Say You are luck if TTN5 works! You have been warned!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
I_Need_Help
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: TT Say You are luck if TTN5 works! You have been warned! Reply with quote

Hi
TT say you are lucky if you use a non TT GPS and it works! Well it worked in TTN2 & 3 and TTN5 lets you select non TT GPSs!!!

Tomtom problem ticket.
"The fact it worked in two previous versions is luck, we did not support it in these two versions either, but you have been lucky and got it to work. If it doesn't work now, there is nothing we can do about it. We only support our own hardware, like everybody else."

The GPS in question is the BC307 reviewed on this site with TT and worked great until I down graded to TTN5 Sad

Others have said they have the sam problem even with olded TT GPS

Lets all report this and hope they improve the product else I either switching to another product or upgrading back to TTN3!
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm lucky then, because TTN5 works with both BT recivers listed in my sig at the bottom of this post.
I_Need_Help
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would ask you for this weeks lotto numbers... :D

I personal think it is a very bad statement to make! Evil or Very Mad

The problem I think is a resource issue, I have the basic Dell Axim X5 300 Mhz PPC running PPC 2003. and I think its just not fast enough to service the IO from the GPS with such a resource hungry application!

However, I have asked them to guarantee it will work with one of their GPSs either via a CF Bluetooth card or if I must a wire!

It does Navigate and even with few of no bars it still tracks the position as the signal keeps coming and going every few seconds when in TTN5, with TTN3 its fine and with Winfast Navigator loaded its rock steady, its just TTN5
raistlin295
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tomtom problem ticket.
"The fact it worked in two previous versions is luck, we did not support it in these two versions either, but you have been lucky and got it to work. If it doesn't work now, there is nothing we can do about it. We only support our own hardware, like everybody else."

WHAT an absolute load of old rubbish :x

Assuming our non Tomtom bluetooth hardware works with other applications, the support issue is with their software.

I think I've just about had enough of Tomtom and their arrogance and greed.

Time for a refund I think - clearly the product is not of merchantable quality.

Back to TTN3 and a long hard look for a better alternative.

I'll be DAMNED if I'll shell out another £125 to get their hardware.

If they don't support the software with any other hardware, WHY do they retail it as a standalone product?
I_Need_Help
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you, but take a look at the TT website, you won't find the software only for sale!! Its only for existing customers to "upgrade" to, not for new customers. They even termed Globalsat as a competitor, they want to shift GPS not just software!
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im the same as tim no problem with my either my mk1 tt bt receiver and my navman 4400 and ice no problems using my cr100 cradle on an xda2i

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
ccarcher
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i too must be lucky, but why in the previous versions did they have a list of various manufacturers receivers then ??

Or was I just lucky to stumble across this list ???
raistlin295
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I agree with you, but take a look at the TT website, you won't find the software only for sale!!

Not as far as I can see. no. But, they DO state that it is available:-

here

There are no caveats in the answer they provide about needing to have a TTN receiver.

I'm of the opinion that the answer they provided is probably going to be a cause of embarrassment and regret to TTN
I_Need_Help
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I have pointed out to them that they are selling software only for people that already have a GPS and I have ask them to re open the problem and to prove it the GPS that’s at fault I await their reply.

And now apparently my Dell Axim X5 is not on their compatible hardware list if I want support I need to use their GPS and an approved PPC.

I guess my fingers will be the wrong size next!!!
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they only support their own hardware, why there options for "Other Wired GPS" and "Other Bluetooth GPS".

If they have these options then they must support them.
I_Need_Help
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked that they replyed:
"The NMEA and other GPS options are there for customers who want to use 3. party hardware. No support is given though."
gareth71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can Tomtom possibly say that they don't support non-Tomtom hardware? Their compatibility list specifically mentions the Mio168 with its built-in GPS receiver - what's that if not non-TT hardware?!
raistlin295
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said earlier,

I think Tomtom are going to be embarrassed by their arrogant attitude and their obvious feeble excuse.

At least, if enough of us start asking for a refund or a fix they might get round to producing an update.

How difficult can it be?
I_Need_Help
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree total :D

You will love their latest respons:
Agree total :D

You will love their latest response:
We have more than enough to do working on our own components, we can not keep an eye out for the literally hundreds of other units on the market. Each manufacturer support their own equipment, this is standard support conditions for just about every single tech-company in the world. I have worked with tech support for almost ten years, not once have I supported something not made by the company I worked for. This is completely standard.

Well I have worked in IT support for even longer and will always help prove the problem or at least help prove it off our systems!

And if their software did what it said on the tin they would not be so busy, lets make them busier!
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a great supporter of Tomtom software and have used it for a long time but their latest offering appears to be slightly awry, most people here are upgrading fom TTN3 with fully working systems .Now most are fighting to even get a proper fix from bt gps's that they have used for a while . The reported attitude from tomtom on this thread does beggar belief . I only hope that the reactions on this forum do produce some results for the majority of dissapointed people.
I have to say that I have worked out a way of using TTN5 but it is a compromise and if I vary from the way of starting it up . I have to stop and ask a policeman the way for all the use it is.
This is not a rant as I use TTN5 as an aid and if it tells me to turn right into a brick wall I have the sense not to, but I do expect more from them than we are getting at the moment.

I keep on learning but they invent new things faster ,How do I keep up ?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: