Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Navigator for Palm incompatible with LifeDrive
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Navigator for Palm incompatible with LifeDrive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
themax
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: TomTom Navigator for Palm incompatible with LifeDrive Reply with quote

The subject says it all; for those of you thinking of upgrading to the LifeDrive from Palm, it does not run TomTom at all ("Armcode not allocated" error).

After contact with TomTom support, it is unlikely that they even will support it (not even with the version 5 upgrade), according to the very short and "it's not supported" answer to my question in this matter. It would be cool to have all the maps I need loaded, but I guess I need (and all of you thinking of ordering the LifeDrive) to stay with my T3 for navigation for the time being.
jweaver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that this is true for all Palms other than the T3. I was discussing this with a colleague the other day and the question of the T5 came up. I tested my TomTom sim on another colleagues T5 and it gave the same "Armcode not allocated" error that you have seen on the LifeDrive.

If you look at the existing TomTom product range, it actually says "TomTom for T3" rather than "TomTom for Palm" and I was under the impression that it ONLY works on the T3 for now.

I know of a few T5 users who are waiting for TT5.. If its not going to be supported on the LifeDrive, I wonder if T5 support is actually on the cards?
themax
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 6:33 am    Post subject: Works on Treo thugh... Reply with quote

You are right, but TomTom Navigator seems to work OK on the Treo 650, and since the T3 is out of production it would be a stupid move from TomTom not to support the new devices.

But it seems that they put their effort in GO and Mobile, and the Palm/PPC-line is dead because its too much of an effort for them to keep up with all new devices?
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had ttn3 running on a palm tungsten e.

I installed version 4.42 - off the us support site - specifically for the t5 - not sure why this isn't downloadable from the main tomtom site..

The main problem was memory errors - if I stuck to the smallest map segments and reset after each journey it was ok - but I didn't consider it robust enough for day to day driving especially as it was for use in my wifes car so I went for viamichelin navigation 3 (which has newer maps than ttn3 as well).

Maybe worth exploring the 4.42 version as it should/may work with the tungsten 5 - poss also the lifedrive (unless the memory usage is radically different from the t5)

Ian
themax
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Amazing! Reply with quote

iancjc wrote:
I have had ttn3 running on a palm tungsten e.

Maybe worth exploring the 4.42 version as it should/may work with the tungsten 5 - poss also the lifedrive (unless the memory usage is radically different from the t5)

Ian

This is great. You have found a solution that TomTom themself canīt seem to help me with. What's with this company, really???

Anyway. Downloaded the 4.42 version from the US site, and the navigator started without any problems. I need to activate the software though, but I will do that tomorrow when I get to work (where I have the licence key) and tell you the progress.
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stumbled onto it after tomtom support had told me the tungsten e was definately not usable.

Why the download is only available when you select us - english I have no idea.

Ian
themax
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: TomTom 4.42 does work on the LifeDrive Reply with quote

After digging out the 4.42 update from the US site and installing it on my LifeDrive (LD), TomTom now works on that machine. I had to re-activate my license for the LD, but I have not seen any crashes or wierd behaviour on the LD (well, yet).

So what have we learned?

1. The forum thread can be renamed to "TomTom Navigator for Palm compatible with the LifeDrive".
2. TomTom Europe does not seem to know what TomTom US offers on their website (otherwise the reply from them would tell me how to make it work, now it only was "We only support Tungsten T3").
3. The upgrade to Navigator 5 will probably work too.
4. All with the TomTom cable GPS needs to buy a BT one (or convince TT to develop a new car mount kit for the T5/LD and the cable GPS).
Meester-Martinho
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom Navigator for Palm incompatible with LifeDrive Reply with quote

I was talking to a guy from palmone yesterday tomtom will work on both the t5 and and the life drive we will bringing out packages to run on them.

themax wrote:
The subject says it all; for those of you thinking of upgrading to the LifeDrive from Palm, it does not run TomTom at all ("Armcode not allocated" error).

After contact with TomTom support, it is unlikely that they even will support it (not even with the version 5 upgrade), according to the very short and "it's not supported" answer to my question in this matter. It would be cool to have all the maps I need loaded, but I guess I need (and all of you thinking of ordering the LifeDrive) to stay with my T3 for navigation for the time being.
TuurG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTN5 runs on a T5. Only not on internal RAM memory (maps and voices are not recognized).
Just make sure you have app and voices installed on the same location: Expansion card (internal) or SD-card. Maps can be on either location.

Also, maybe you previously installed the app to RAM? This was/is possible with v4.42 (the one you downloaded from the US site).
You should remove the TomTom app launcher (start.prc) from RAM first.
Then when you insert the SD, the start.prc is updated to RAM again, and will find the app and maps.
weelogic
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the app and it works. However, when I load up the map cd I get an error message. Can I extract the map files from the cd and copy them to the device? If so, what files should I be looking for?

Thanks

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: