Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Can we use the GPS driver from TTN3 with TTN5?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Can we use the GPS driver from TTN3 with TTN5?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
longwori
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Can we use the GPS driver from TTN3 with TTN5? Reply with quote

Hi all,

As you may have seen in another of my posts, I am having problems getting my Compact Flash GPS to work reliably with the new TTN5 software and I am also reading a lot of posts from people that are having problems with their bluetooth GPS units and TTN5. At the moment, I am finding TT5 is taking an age to get a first fix, cannot reliably hold onto a fix and if it looses it, it is unable to regain the fix whilst moving.

I had no problems with the GPS driver in TTN3 and wondered if any of you hacker/techies out there know of any way to use the old TTN3 GPS driver with TTN5 as I think this may solve all our problems?

I have begun this as a new thread as I think it may be of interest to more people than my original thread.

Many thanks, Ian.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will be a very short thread. TTN5 has integrated the GPS driver. You cannot use the TTGPS 3 or 2 versions any more.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Bubbajones
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to appear a bit dumb here then but am I right in thinking that since I have TT Navigator 3 with TomTom's Bluetooth GPS receiver, (bought bundled last Spetember), the GPS receiver will not work if I were to upgrade the software to TT Navigator 5.

Embarassed
NMatthew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will work, TTN5 supports wired GPS devices and their own Bluetooth GPS (old and new) as well as others. I have a Tomtom BT receiver (from TTN2 days) and it works fine with TTN5.

Neil
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbajones wrote:
Sorry to appear a bit dumb here then but am I right in thinking that since I have TT Navigator 3 with TomTom's Bluetooth GPS receiver, (bought bundled last Spetember), the GPS receiver will not work if I were to upgrade the software to TT Navigator 5.

Embarassed

no you will be fine - it should work ok.
Bubbajones
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phew! Smile

Cheers guys!
jclsm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: TomTom 5 with GPS 3.07 Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm new in this forum. I've de same problem as a lot of people to get a connection between my Bt338 and my Rx3715. I've tried everything and no way. I read in a spanish forum that somebody have fix this problem installing the Tomtom 5 and after that installing only de .cab GPS 3.07. He says that it works very well.
I_Need_Help
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a link to this other post?

Tomtom told me I was luck my CF GPS worked in TTN2 & 3 and implied that only their GPS would work properly in TTN5, Mabbe they have added code to ensure only their own GPSs work 100%

Lets all keep reporting the issue to TT and hope they change their mind!

I was given the impression that I was the only one with a GPS CF problem, not so.
jclsm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.forocoches.com/foro/showthread.php?t=237994&page=14&pp=30[/url]
I_Need_Help
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I'm first to admit my Spanish is not good, but I see no reference to this on the link supplied! Confused
jclsm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please see the post from BENIRIVER 2005-06-15 18:32
longwori
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds interesting I will have a go this weekend. I managed to drive all the way to work today before I got a fix (12 miles) Crying or Very sad

I_need_help - TomTom did work with me to try and resolve this over email but we didnt get anywhere. They say that they will continue to look into it though. Does your CF GPS communicate with TTN5 or is it completely dead? Mine communicates but just isnt anywhere near as sensitive as before (using Other Cable NMEA GPS, 4800 baud and the Generic CF option)

Ian
longwori
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Errr..... here I am saying boldly that I would give the 3.07 .cab file a go and I dont really know how to go about it. Is it a separate file that I will find in the 3.07 update? Do I just copy it to the main memory of the Ipaq using Active Sync or does it need to be in a special folder within TTN5? Do I need to execute it somehow?

Cheers, Ian.
jclsm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't try yet.

But I will do like this:
- copy with activesync the GPS 3.07 .cab file to the folder where Tomtom is already installed
- run file explorer and search this .cab file
- run the .cab file to instal the GSP 3.07
I_Need_Help
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

longwori, No its not dead its as you say not as sensitive as before, but then the bar meter on TTN5 is not 1 per sat as it was, or so I have just noticed! My real issue is that the meter jumps up and down and if you look at the GPS info within TTN5 it can be like watching the bars of a graphic equaliser!

Today my new BT Leadtek GPS arrived and this seems to work fine, but I have yet to go far with it!

I have looked at the data streams from both using winfast Nav and they are similar apart from one thing the BT seems to pause every now and then, this would suggest that it is responding to a flow control off (Xoff/or hardware) command.

I wonder if the input buffer in TTN5 can’t cope with the data and is being over run?!

Or may be the CF GPS doesn’t respond to flow control!? Either way you would expect the comms handling on a Satnav system to able to cope with data without needing to flow control else the position would not be as reliable.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: