Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Camera database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Camera database
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichardM
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Camera database Reply with quote

Hello all I am new to this forum but would appreciate some help. I have a TomTom Go and want to install the speed camera database. I have downloaded this and unzipped it but am not sure which files to transfer despite reading various forum comments.
I have the following
alternative bmp files
csv files
ov2bmp files
single file version
speed zoned
wav files
xls files
plus some others like readme, licence,etc

Any help would be great. Thanks in anticipation
PJEvans
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to use the ov2 and bmp files

Open the folder marked ov2bmp and transfer all the files into your GB map folder

Then do the same with the speed zoned file. Open the Gatso folder and transfer all the contents then do the same with the mobile folder.

The ov2 files are the infomation and the bmp files are the icons that go with then.

Remember you have to transfer the files in the folders, just transfering the folders won't work
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you do this you will end up with all the cameras in twice.

Don't panic. Set the speed zoned ones to shorter distances than the "all in one" set and you will have two warnings for each camera.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
PJEvans
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgould wrote:

Richard M sorry about that hopefully you haven't got around to doing it yet Embarassed

sgould

Now I know why I'm getting the double warnings. Confused I read on another thread that you should have 17 files. If you use the Gatso and Mobile files that makes 14. Are the other 3 the Specs Temp and Redlight from the ov2bmp folder Question
RichardM
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick replies. I presume I use the ov2 files in both the gatso and speed zoned files and ignore the csv files in these two folders?

I've already made the mistake of transferring folders and not files so I will have to sort that out!

If I use a new SD card because the original is too small do I have to format it first and is it OK to use a card reader instead of TTG for all the file transfers?

Thanks for the help
PJEvans
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardM wrote:
Thanks for the quick replies. I presume I use the ov2 files in both the gatso and speed zoned files and ignore the csv files in these two folders?

That correct

RichardM wrote:

If I use a new SD card because the original is too small do I have to format it first and is it OK to use a card reader instead of TTG for all the file transfers?

I always format the card prior to use. Some people use a card reader to do the transfers, but I just do it straight to the TTG (probably because I haven't got a card reader Wink )
RichardM
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgould wrote:

Richard M sorry about that hopefully you haven't got around to doing it yet

sgould

Now I know why I'm getting the double warnings. I read on another thread that you should have 17 files. If you use the Gatso and Mobile files that makes 14. Are the other 3 the Specs Temp and Redlight from the ov2bmp folder

sgould

Now you've got me confused. Am I supposed to do as in the original answer or not, as I don't want to duplicate the sites.
Thanks
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "single file" version gives you one .ov2 and one .bmp file. This will include all the cameras but not distinguish between the type or speed. It is best used if you are short of space for PoIs. There is a max of 40 new groups.

The "ov2 bmp" folder gives all the cameras broken down by type. Again, if speed of camera doesn't bother you, this is the one to use.

The "speed zoned" set include all the gatsos and mobile sites only, but subdivided into speed limits plus a "tba" set where the speed limit has not yet been reported. These sets replace the gatso and mobile files in the "ov2 bmp" folder. So if you load these, you will need to load the redlight, specs and temp files from the "ov2 bmp" set as well.

The continental set only work on the European maps, incl. the Major roads of Europe.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my set:

pocketgps_uk_mobile_20.ov2
pocketgps_uk_gatso_tba.ov2
pocketgps_uk_gatso_70.ov2
pocketgps_uk_gatso_60.ov2
pocketgps_uk_gatso_40.ov2
pocketgps_uk_gatso_30.ov2
pocketgps_uk_gatso_20.ov2
pocketgps_uk_gatso_50.ov2
pocketgps_uk_mobile_40.ov2
pocketgps_uk_mobile_30.ov2
pocketgps_uk_temp.ov2
pocketgps_uk_specs.ov2
pocketgps_uk_redlight.ov2
pocketgps_uk_mobile_tba.ov2
pocketgps_uk_mobile_70.ov2
pocketgps_uk_mobile_60.ov2
pocketgps_uk_mobile_50.ov2

Plus the matching .bmp files
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly right!
It IS confusing how they are packaged in the download, but I think it is because other systems cannot handle more than one set of POIs at a time.

The next thing to confuse you, are all your options for the .bmp files. When you've installed it all, you'll find that you have little speed limit signs for the fixed Gatsos where the speed is known, and a picture of a camera for the others. The mobile camera sites however, only have a single picture of a camera on a tripod.
If that's OK for you then fine, but if you want a little extra, that's where the idea of alternative bmp files comes in. There are a couple of folders of different icons bundled with the database, one of which ("Khan") does have zoned mobiles.
However, if I may repeat myself from another post, in the end I made my own to match the ordinary Gatso ones (and did a question mark one for both "t.b.a." cameras while I was at it).
They look like this, and were easy to do in a paint package on the P.C.

Don't try to use the actual files above - they are .jpgs, I couldn't get the .bmps to show up on the forum) but if anyone wants them, I sent the full set to PocketGPS when I submitted a couple of camera updates, so MAYBE they will get distributed with the next update (Fame at last? :D).
Otherwise if anyone wants them I've put my full set (i.e. every one I use including the default redlight, specs etc.) up on the web here
Feel free to use them, just remove the two .jpgs that I used above.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then, Richard, you can embark on the madness that is "speed-zoned speech alerts"... which I haven't managed to sort out myself yet! (lots of different variations of files, depending on what software version you've got Crying or Very sad )
RichardM
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad I'm not the only one confused by all the different files. It looks like I'll have to spend some time sorting it all out! All I really want is a beep or something when any camera is coming up and try and keep it simple at first

thanks for all the help
nich
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How often is the camera data base updated? and do you have to start from scrach every time?
Jim-Bob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardM wrote:
I'm glad I'm not the only one confused by all the different files. It looks like I'll have to spend some time sorting it all out! All I really want is a beep or something when any camera is coming up and try and keep it simple at first

thanks for all the help

There is nothing to say you have to change the data.chk file stick to the origonal and you can just have a beep when a camera comes up. There is also nothing to say you have to have all the diferent files. there is a file with all the speed cameras in it this won't tell you what type of camera or the speed limit.

nich wrote:
How often is the camera data base updated? and do you have to start from scrach every time?

The database is usaly updated every month all you have to do is delete the .ov2 files and add the new ones you download the warnings will stay set.
PJEvans
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that it's updated every month. All you have to do to update is download the zip file then transfer the .ov2 files into the map folder. It will say file alreday exists do you want to replace click yes and it's done

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: