Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Do NOT buy TomTom Navigator 5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Do NOT buy TomTom Navigator 5
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skids
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Do NOT buy TomTom Navigator 5 Reply with quote

I have had nothing but trouble with this program.

I paid £200 because I wanted the ne BT receiver which was apparantly better, but it wasn't.

I will be returning TTN5 for a refund at the earlies opportunity.

Why? I hear you ask

Where do I start:

I had numerous problems seeing the new BT receiver in TomTom although I could see it in Bluetooth manager.

The error said no GPS Device although it actually meant no GPS signal which is very confusing.

The maps appear no better.

Map scrolling is worse than TTN3

If you do not have a route planned, you will NOT be warned of speed cameras. (CheckPOInt did this much better)

You cannot use your own sound files for POIs. As per CheckPOint, GPSAssist, POIwarner etc)

You cannot have two warnings for POIs (e.g. one at 300 meters and one at 100 meters) As per CheckPOint, GPSAssist, POIwarner etc)

You cannot have speed specific warnings (when using pocketgpsworld speed camera database) As per CheckPOint, GPSAssist, POIwarner etc)

The full package does not come with a mains charger (As per TTN3)

You cannot personalise the menus as per TTN3

Need I go on?

I feel completely ripped off by TomTom, it seems they have taken several steps back rather than forward.

I have now gone back to TTN3

Skids
insanity
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Do NOT buy TomTom Navigator 5 Reply with quote

Skids wrote:
I had numerous problems seeing the new BT receiver in TomTom although I could see it in Bluetooth manager.

Could this be a problem with your PDA? I haven't had any problems connecting to the receiver with my hx4700, and the performance of the receiver has been nothing short of brilliant so far.

Skids wrote:
The error said no GPS Device although it actually meant no GPS signal which is very confusing.

No, it says "No GPS Device" when it isn't communicating with the receiver. It says "GPS Signal lost xx seconds ago" when it has no signal.

Skids wrote:
The maps appear no better.

Having seen the maps for TT3 (but not used the product), there are loads more new roads in the TT5 maps. Yes, there are errors, but show me a set of maps that don't have any...

Skids wrote:
Map scrolling is worse than TTN3

Again, I can't compare with TT3 really, but I've had no problem. Even on my VGA hx4700 I have to ramp the demo up to 500% before it becomes jerky. The browse map scrolling is a little crap when zoomed out, but you don't have to wait for it to redraw entirely before you move it again or zoom in/out. I don't really see too much of a problem.

Skids wrote:
If you do not have a route planned, you will NOT be warned of speed cameras. (CheckPOInt did this much better)

You cannot use your own sound files for POIs. As per CheckPOint, GPSAssist, POIwarner etc)

You cannot have two warnings for POIs (e.g. one at 300 meters and one at 100 meters) As per CheckPOint, GPSAssist, POIwarner etc)

You cannot have speed specific warnings (when using pocketgpsworld speed camera database) As per CheckPOint, GPSAssist, POIwarner etc)

Why don't you wait until the TT5 SDK is out and all these add-ons get upgraded? Would you rather TT5 didn't have any sort of POI warning system?

Skids wrote:
The full package does not come with a mains charger (As per TTN3)

A minor annoyance, especially as it can be rectified with a 240V > 12V adapter for less than £10.

Skids wrote:
You cannot personalise the menus as per TTN3

I don't see a problem with this (but that's probably because I didn't have TT3 to get used to that feature). The menus are fixed in every other PocketPC program I use, so I just get used to the order and where everything is.

Unless you can prove that the software is faulty, I'm not sure you will be able to return it. It does exactly what it says on the tin, and in my opinion it does it pretty darn well.
wingerii
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skids

Didn't you basically say all this in another thread?????
sebringer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the original poster, TTN5 is in many parts a backward step from the excellent and rock steady TTN3. But I'm not going to write it off completely, I'll hold back until at least the first major update.

However for a program that had many of us waiting in excited anticipation, this is a major disappointment. I think the average TomTom Navigator consumer is a little more clued-up than your average TomTom Go buyer... we like customisation and tweaks rather than being made to swallow a one-size-fits-all platform.

C
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Do NOT buy TomTom Navigator 5 Reply with quote

insanity wrote:

Unless you can prove that the software is faulty, I'm not sure you will be able to return it. It does exactly what it says on the tin, and in my opinion it does it pretty darn well.

You can return it within 7 days with the distance selling regulations.

I don't believe the above is a good reason to return the product but the law says you don't have to give one.
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Do NOT buy TomTom Navigator 5 Reply with quote

Skids wrote:

Skids

Had you read the various posts on here regarding TT V5 you would have seen that CheckPOInt and GPSAssist would not be compatible with it until TomTom release a new SDK file for V5.
As you chose to buy the retail version which doesn't come with the European, you get what you paid for.
If you already owned TT V3 you would have been better off purchasing the upgrade and then purchasing the TT BT receiver separately. That way you could have carried on using TT V3 with a BT receiver and then upgrading to V5 when the new SDK is released.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
insanity
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Do NOT buy TomTom Navigator 5 Reply with quote

MarkHewitt wrote:
You can return it within 7 days with the distance selling regulations.

I'm not sure that applies to software where the seal has been broken. Under the distance selling regulations you are supposed to return the goods unopened and unused - it is not there to allow you to try things out and return them if you don't like them, otherwise retaillers would go out of business because people would buy stuff, use it for a couple of days and then return it, meaning that the retailer wouldn't be able to sell the product again. Breaking the seal on the software is a sure sign that you have used the product.
gav28
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Do NOT buy TomTom Navigator 5 Reply with quote

Skids wrote:
<snip>

This is wrong, yes it does warn of speed cameras when you do not have a route planned. I was using it this morning in that mode and TTN5 was happily cherping away warning of speed cameras. I suggest you have incorrectly configured TTN5 and set the POI information to only warn if the POI is on your route.

This setting is on a per POI basis, make sure you uncheck that option.

IHTH a little :-)

Gavin
insanity
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Do NOT buy TomTom Navigator 5 Reply with quote

gav28 wrote:
...set the POI information to only warn if the POI is on your route.

This, I feel, is a bit of a banana skin - when you have a route planned you probably want it set to only if POI is on route, otherwise you could get warned of cameras on another street if you go close enough to them.

However, when you don't have a route, you either need to set the distance before it warns you to something low to avoid these potential false alarms, or you have to live with them as you have no route.
sdharris
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No, it says "No GPS Device" when it isn't communicating with the receiver. It says "GPS Signal lost xx seconds ago" when it has no signal

Actually TT5 my hx4700 gives the signal lost message when my receiver is switched off or the bluetooth is switched off on the PDA. I did think this was an odd message and a bit of a bakward step. You could say yes the signal was lost but actually the signal was never found and no GPS device would have been more useful.

Quote:
I don't see a problem with this (but that's probably because I didn't have TT3 to get used to that feature). The menus are fixed in every other PocketPC program I use, so I just get used to the order and where everything is.

I've not checked that this is not possible but considering you use this while in the car you should be able to customise the menus so you can get to things as quickly as possible.

I think the point here is this is version 5 of a product so people who have used previous versions do not expect a backwards move, I guess some feel it is. Only people who have used previous versions and have had a couple of weeks with version 5 can comment on whether it is better or not.

I've used TomTom Navigator for the past few years but only TT5 since earlier this week so I've not formed an opinion.
nazimyounis
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i apologise in advance if this is a stupid question but what is

"SDK file for V5" you guys keep referring to?

regards

Nazim
donka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nazimyounis wrote:
i apologise in advance if this is a stupid question but what is

"SDK file for V5" you guys keep referring to?

regards

Nazim

'Software Development Kit' for developers to write thrid party software that works with TTN5.

In defence of TomTom, the real purpose behind this release is to bring the various platforms together into a core product. It is a bit frustrating when the Pocket PC version of TTN3 was perhaps more flexible but then Palm and Smartphone users are getting much more of an upgrade in this TTN5 release from their previous platform releases. Not great for us Pocket PC owners but I think we will see real improvements going forward from now on.
spookoverload
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Speed Camera detection Reply with quote

Just to add to the old 'POI if on route' part. I was travelling down the M62 the other day & came under a roundabout style junction, which I know from experience the police use, but they sit facing the rear of ur car on the sliproad.

When I had it set to on route only, TomTom didnt pick them up. I ran the same route this morning, but unticked the option & sure enuff it chirped at me.

I guess it didnt see the joining slip road as part of my route.

Something to think about anyway

Shane
KEVRO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: TomTom 5 Reply with quote

Hi All.

Having used TomTom for a long while now, I must say I think that version 5 is, on the whole, a backward step for Pocket PC users. Many of the useful options have been removed. eg, menu tailoring, speed control (the route choices are no substitute), no memorise position.

Basically it is a map upgrade with some other tinkering. The new POI warner only works if you have the sound on/up, which on a long journey where you know the majority of the route is a pain.

I agree with a previous post that maybe the first major upgrade might fix some of these things but I am a bit diss-appointed really.

One last gripe: TomTom haven't bothered to help me with the postcode problem, instead this forum supplies all the answers (as usual).
Spark1e
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom 5 Reply with quote

KEVRO wrote:
Hi All.

Having used TomTom for a long while now, I must say I think that version 5 is, on the whole, a backward step for Pocket PC users. Many of the useful options have been removed. eg, menu tailoring, speed control (the route choices are no substitute), no memorise position.

Basically it is a map upgrade with some other tinkering. The new POI warner only works if you have the sound on/up, which on a long journey where you know the majority of the route is a pain.

I agree with a previous post that maybe the first major upgrade might fix some of these things but I am a bit diss-appointed really.

One last gripe: TomTom haven't bothered to help me with the postcode problem, instead this forum supplies all the answers (as usual).

You can also tailor the menu now, thanks to this post :D :D
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=22522

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: