Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Driving on the wrong side of the road
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Driving on the wrong side of the road

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject: Driving on the wrong side of the road Reply with quote

Just upgraded to V5.1 and the new Plus maps for here in Switzerland.... driving home last night using all this for the first time, I had some very strange things happening.

1. Thought I was going down the wrong carriageway of a dual carriageway.

2. Tried to send me the wrong way round a roundabout... i.e. I was going left, which on the continent is normally the third exit. Jane told me to go left at the roundabout, first exit! And the turn "icon" in the bottom left corner showed me going the wrong way....

Most times though it deals with roundabouts fine. Anyone else had this????
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the parallel universe know as TomTomGo.

There are still some unexpected wobblies thrown up by TTG.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
jmk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a left hand drive car? Rolling Eyes
(Sorry I just could not resist it!)
stix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Laughing

Yes... and fortunately I know which way to go around roundabouts over here!

Weird though huh... will keep a close on things over the next few days. Problem is, since I've upgraded the maps and software at the same time, I can't tell which is the real cause Confused
PJEvans
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you able to re-install V5.00 to see if this still happens?

Is it possible to go back to V5.00 once you've upgraded to V5.10?

I still have a copy of V5.00 that I've never used on my desktop if you or anyone else wanted it.
stix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure.

I'll be going exactly the same route home today so will see if it does it again. If so I'll try to go back to v5.0 and see what happens tomorrow....
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving on the wrong side of the road Reply with quote

stix wrote:
I had some very strange things happening.

Get a little mirror and set it up next to the TTG and the look at the reflection which will show you as driving on the correct side of the road.

Also be aware that if you take your TTG to Australia then you will have to turn it upside down for the maps to appear correctly oriented.

Joker

Seriously though, did you check that you have the latest version of firmware for the TTG?
stix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving on the wrong side of the road Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
stix wrote:

Get a little mirror and set it up next to the TTG and the look at the reflection which will show you as driving on the correct side of the road.

Also be aware that if you take your TTG to Australia then you will have to turn it upside down for the maps to appear correctly oriented.

Joker

Seriously though, did you check that you have the latest version of firmware for the TTG?

skippy, Taunt

Wink

Yep... V5.1

Will see how I get on tonight eh. I thought for the Oz maps I just needed to put the SD card in the other way up?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also been all this talk of putting the external aerial in the back window, but who wants to drive around in reverse gear all the time.
stix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah. Perhaps I could put the TTGo on the rear parcel shelf and look at it through the rear view mirror. That would do it I think. Except it doesn't get it wrong all of the time... Hmmm.....
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving on the wrong side of the road Reply with quote

stix wrote:

Are you using the Female voice? Maybe the TTG has gotten itself stuck in "Woman Driver" navigation mode.

So, rather than saying "Turn RIGHT", it will say something like "Turn LEFT. Ummm, no, not that one! The OTHER LEFT. Oh shut up, you know what I mean. Right.". 8O

And when you come to roundabouts, it won't say "Take the third exit" it will just say something like "take that one over there" while pointing at the exit that you have just passed.

When this happens you have to stop the car, shout and scream at your TTG before ripping it off the dash. Study the map for a few minutes to determine where you are and where you are trying to do before putting it back in it's place.

When this happens, I find that the voice prompts stop for a while (could be anything from a few hours to several days) and it can be difficult to get them started again too. Good luck!

Ahh, I remember the good old days before sat nav. Laughing
jmk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stix,
This thread is the best laugh I have had in a forum for years.....
Having said that, I do hope your problem is solved.... please let us know.
John.
stix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.... drove home last night.... all ok, same route, sent me the correct way round the roundabout this time (much to the relief of other road users). Coming in this morning, different route, still a few roundabouts and I got round those without encountering oncoming traffic as well... so al is normal once more.

Just another one of those things to keep you on your toes eh. Perhaps it was Jane... a hormonal thing maybe.... 8O
Wafter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote

No need. Tom Tom have already made this function available as standard - you can now invert the screen from the menu. I drive like this all the time as my brother is coming from Australia soon and I want to be prepared

On a slightly more interesting note, TTG has to have an algorithm so that it knows when to calculate a 'drive on the right' set of instructions as opposed to a 'drive on the left'. Presumably the map it is using will 'tell' it which to use but does it have two completely different programs built into the firmware? Any programers out there who could shed some light on this? I'm just curious.

By the way, I have only had my TTG 300 for 3 weeks but I take it everywhere and I love it. Yes there are some map issues but if you use it sensibly it is a brilliant piece of kit - just like this forum.

Regards to all
Alan
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wafter wrote:
On a slightly more interesting note, TTG has to have an algorithm so that it knows when to calculate a 'drive on the right' set of instructions as opposed to a 'drive on the left'. Presumably the map it is using will 'tell' it which to use but does it have two completely different programs built into the firmware? Any programers out there who could shed some light on this? I'm just curious.

Hmm, I've wondered too. Confused

I think roundabouts are marked as "one way" roads so it knows which way it has to route around them.

Divided roads like motorways, on-ramps etc are also marked as one-way so no problems occur here either.

So really doesn't matter which side of the road you drive on. Or is there another situation I have missed. Confused

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: