Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - I can't hear any voices
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

I can't hear any voices
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faust wrote:
The message states “error unable to complete transfer cyclic redundancy” If I remove the original file then everything works OK.

I can't really explain this - except to suggest that the system is taking exception to this particular SD card for some reason or other. There is some evidence to suggest that some makes of card work better than others. A cyclic redundancy error means that the file has failed an integrity check after it has been written - and is thus considered invalid. Why it's ok when you delete the original file . . . who knows!

Faust wrote:

I noticed on my way to work today that although I get the warning message gatso, I do get anything to denote speed e.g. warning gatso 30 or 40 or whatever the speed limit is – should I be getting this information. The cameras I pass on my way to work are many and in various speed zones, but all I get is gatso.

Several possibilities. Are you using both the unzoned file (containing all gatsos) and the zoned files categorised by speed limit, in order to get two warnings for each camera? If so, you must select different distances for the zoned and unzoned - otherwise it would need to issue two different warnings at the same time - which it can't do - so you'd only get one of them, which may well be the non-speed-related one.

In the zoned files, there's one called gatso_tba - containing cameras where the speed limit has not been defined. What message have you assigned to this? It could be that the gatsos which you drove past are in this category.

Assuming you're using v5 software, you can test whether the camera warnings are working as you expect by planning a route on which there are known cameras, and then going into demo mode and seeing what happens when you approach each camera. [To save time, you can wind up the demo speed - I find that it works well at up 400% but not above this.]

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faust wrote:
However, I noticed on my way to work today that although I get the warning message gatso, I do get anything to denote speed e.g. warning gatso 30 or 40 or whatever the speed limit is – should I be getting this information. The cameras I pass on my way to work are many and in various speed zones, but all I get is gatso. A long post I know, but I would appreciate some advice as I am somewhat puzzled.

If the camera icon shows only a black camera then these have not been speed zoned.

If so, perhaps now is a good time to send the speed zoning for those cameras to cameras@pocketgpsworld.com and I am sure they will be only too pleased to update the database in time for the end of the month.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
rayflan
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faust wrote:
xda wrote:
I think your problem is that TT V5 POI warning features are severely limited in what it can achieve when compared to TT V3 running with either CheckPOInt or GPSAssist as you can't use wave files associated with each individual speed related camerae group to tell you what the speed limit is. Hopefully TT will release a SDK file for V5 to enable the use of 3rd party add-ons. Although I have ordered the upgrade I will stay with V3 as I like my spoken voice warnings such as "Warning approaching a Gatso" followed by a second warning "The speed limit is 30 mph"

Well if that information is correct, then you completely burst my bubble Sad I was looking forward to the speed limit is warning. To be quite honest given that information and assuming it is correct I may as well go back to the bells and chimes, which I think actually have more impact. If the added speed indication was present on the TT GO300 then I would opt for voices, but just the word Gatso doesn't quite cut the mustard as far as I am concerned. :x

Don't panic I think Xda is refering to tomtom navigator v5 and not tomtom go v5
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I need someone to explain in idiots speak how to assign these speed related alerts to work correctly, or book myself in to a home for the bewildered. What I am doing is this - manage POIs then select pocket gps gatso. I then get the message remove warning yes or no! I press no, the next screen then displays yards to alert, I leave at yards displayed, then at the next screen, beep 1 etc. I press select. I then start the whole process again by pressing pocket gps gatso, only this time when it gets to yards the distance is slightly different and I accept new distance, then at the next screen I select beep two for gatso 30 and so on and so on till I cover all gatso speeds...? Is that right or wrong..? I have been out tonight to test camera site 6 years old which I know to be forty. I get the voice gatso but the speed indicator is always the last one I have entered in setup i.e. 60 My patience is almost exhausted, what if anything am I doing wrong?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the camera icon show on the screen?

If it does is the icon a black number in a red circle?

What is the number? Is it 40?

How many Camera POI's do you have? There should be 17 if using the Speed Zoned and also 17 BMP to match.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xda wrote:
Don't panic I think Xda is refering to tomtom navigator v5 and not tomtom go v5

As TT V5 and Go V5 use the same it's applicable to both. For any one used to using GPSAssist, with the ability to give 3 announcements for each speed related Gatso and mobile as well as being configurable to either distance to or time to each camera. The inbuilt POI warning in V5 will never achieve what GPSAssist or CheckPOInt are capable of doing.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
Does the camera icon show on the screen?

If it does is the icon a black number in a red circle?

What is the number? Is it 40?

How many Camera POI's do you have? There should be 17 if using the Speed Zoned and also 17 BMP to match.

Thanks for that info Oldboy, when I looked I only had 7, obviously when I copied the contents of the zip file across to my SD card I never copied the zoned files - what a plonker I am, no wonder I couldn't get it to work. I have now copied them across and everything is working fine. One thing I did notice though is that although the Gatso fixed cameras have the speeds circled in red against them the mobile ones don't. Hence I ended up with 6 files that simply say pocketworld gps mobile. It was a right fiddle then to keep scrolling down the list and hope you had chosen the next mobile in the list. Why are the mobiles not circled in red also. Another important question - how does one keep the TT 300 camera database up todate...?
rayflan
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xda
So thats what the "30 sec to....." wav file is for.Sounds like tomtom navigator on ppc is far more advanced than the go, interesting cause just got new xda2i as work phone.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faust wrote:
Why are the mobiles not circled in red also. Another important question - how does one keep the TT 300 camera database up todate...?

To answer the second question first: you just download the Pocket GPS database every month and overwrite the files on the TomTom with the new ones with the same names.

As for the icons:
I wondered why there were were no "speed-zoned" icons for mobile cameras too.
I noticed that there were a couple of folders of different icons bundled with the database when I downloaded it, one of which ("Khan") does have zoned mobiles. But in the end I made my own to match the ordinary Gatso ones (and did a question mark one for both "t.b.a." cameras while I was at it).
They look like this, and were easy to do in a paint package on the P.C.

Don't try to use the actual files above - they are .jpgs, I couldn't get the .bmps to show up on the forum) but if anyone wants them, I sent the full set to PocketGPS when I submitted a couple of camera updates, so MAYBE they will get distributed with the next update (Fame at last? :D ). Otherwise if anyone wants them I've put my full set (i.e. every one I use including the default redlight, specs etc.) up on the web here
Feel free to use them (unless I've broken someone else's copyright - moderators?), just remove the two .jpgs that I used above.
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really clever of you Andy, I'm impressed. However, given my track record of getting this one wrong big time to date, can you advise just how you use them, i.e. how do you assign each speed icon to the mobile in question? Thanks in advance for any help and assistance
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faust wrote:
That's really clever of you Andy, I'm impressed. However, given my track record of getting this one wrong big time to date, can you advise just how you use them, i.e. how do you assign each speed icon to the mobile in question? Thanks in advance for any help and assistance

It's automatic by file name association. In other words, the icon file has the same name as the POI file - with only the extension being different. For example, blah-blah-gatso_30.bmp goes with blah-blah-gatso_30.ov2

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkm_hm wrote:
Faust wrote:

It's automatic by file name association. In other words, the icon file has the same name as the POI file - with only the extension being different. For example, blah-blah-gatso_30.bmp goes with blah-blah-gatso_30.ov2

Well that might all be very well, however, as I said earlier nothing so far has gone right for me. On going to the link Andy has usefully provided, how do I copy the files..? I've tried select all etc. then copy but nothing happens when I try to paste either into a blank folder or the GB map folder. I'm afraid you are going to have to hold my hand with this one as I have no idea how to get these icons from Andy's link into my GB SD file, or anywhere else for that matter. Embarassed
rayflan
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After clicking the link a new browser window should open showing a list of files.Click on the first one "pocket_uk_gatso........." the bmp file should open in your browser.
Right click on the picture and select "save picture as" then save to a folder on your hard drive. Click back and repeat for all files.
Copy bmps to your map folder on your sdcard
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rayflan wrote:
After clicking the link a new browser window should open showing a list of files.Click on the first one "pocket_uk_gatso........." the bmp file should open in your browser.
Right click on the picture and select "save picture as" then save to a folder on your hard drive. Click back and repeat for all files.
Copy bmps to your map folder on your sdcard

Sorry to be a nuisance, but I did say to put it in idiot speak. I have done all the above and now have a collection of bmp files on my SD card. Having put the card back in the TomTom there is still nothing showing in the add POI only the mobile without any designated speed icon. I must be missing a trick here. I think (a) you need to tell me what I should have named the individual files as - if this makes a difference, and (b) do you just paste them into the GB map folder and thats it, or do you have to paste them into a specific part of the GB map folder? I am just about ready to throw this thing out of the window.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just paste them into the Great-Britain-Map folder - the same place as the camera files. When you have done that, browse the Great-Britain-Map folder and check its contents. You should have umpteen matching pairs of .ov2 and .bmp files - e.g. pocketgps_uk_gatso_30.ov2 and pocketgps_uk_gatso_30.bmp - and ditto for 40, 50, 60, 70, tba - and a similar set for mobile plus a single pair (not speed-zoned) for temporary cameras, and a pair for red light cameras.

When you confirm that you've got all of these, we'll discuss the next step of activating them.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: