Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - I can't hear any voices
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

I can't hear any voices
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: I can't hear any voices Reply with quote

I am having difficulty with the voice POI's for the speed camera database and wondered if I am doing anything wrong when doing the install. I already have the POI speed camera database with whistles and bells etc. working without a hitch, but when I download the spoken voice alerts I get nothing when trying the test alert. I have a new GO 300 with latest firmware 5.10 installed and I downloaded the data.chk file 5158. I used the card reader on the PC to make the alterations and did the following. I renamed the original data.chk file as dataold.chk and then copied the new 5158 file to the SD card and renamed that with the name of the original i.e. data.chk I then put the card back in the TomTom, turned it on, went to manage POI's, selected a couple of the cameras, pressed the test button, and absolute silence. Have I missed doing anything.....?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

please send your original data.chk so we can verify. Are you sure you have build 5158?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are not hearing any voices you've been cured :P
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
please send your original data.chk so we can verify. Are you sure you have build 5158?

Yes, according to the build info screen that is exactly what I have, and have upgraded 300 firmware from the 5.0 it came with to 5.10 . To whom do I send it and from which link?
PJEvans
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: I can't hear any voices Reply with quote

Faust wrote:
I renamed the original data.chk file as dataold.chk and then copied the new 5158 file to the SD card and renamed that with the name of the original i.e. data.chk

Faust

Could it be that the name for the old file is simular to the new one? When I did mine, I just renamed the old one 'old sounds'.......Just a thought
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have emailed the file to Lutz as per his request. I have tried everything, every combination, but the gatso voice option will just not work on this TomTom unit.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You haven't inadvertently turned off all sound - or turned off "Warn when near POI" have you?

What happens if you rename the new data.chk file to (say) data.ch$ and then rename the original one back to data.chk? Do you get your bells and whistles back? If so, there's something wrong with the new data.chk file. If not, the problem lies elsewhere.

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have actually gone through the process of "warn when near PoI" for each and every one of the cameras for different speeds, setting the voice and distance each time? Just installing the new data.chk won't get the voices.
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger I tried what you suggest i.e. renaming new file and reverting back to old - I am back to bing bongs, bells etc straight away. My build version is the same as yours App 5.100 (5158/050510) OS 832 I have also gone through the warn when near POI and put in all the distance settings again. There must be something wrong with the 5158 new data chk file or something.
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At last I have got it to work. However, I have had to remove the original data chk file completely from the SD card. Renaming the file with whatever name does not fool it - odd. All I need now is some assistance with the various speeds. Do I have to assign a voice for each gatso speed limit or is that part of it automatic after as an example just selecting Beep 1 for gatso.
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to go through the whole list and re-enter every one again.

List is here:
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/tomtom-go-poi-alerts.php
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as stated previously, I have now got the voice files to work with the speed camera database, although there are quirks which I would like some advice about. First off, using the original SD card map which has not been corrupted in any way. Although I renamed the original data.chk file with various other names then called the new 5158 file data.chk the voices simply would not work. Finally I downloaded the 5158 file yet again and attempted the process once more. This time (and this happens whichever way I try to do it) I get an error message when trying to keep both the old and new data.chk files on the one card. The message states “error unable to complete transfer cyclic redundancy” If I remove the original file then everything works OK. The really odd thing though is that when I attempt the same process on my combined map SD card i.e. GB and France the transfer goes without a hitch, both old file with another name and new file on the on card……?

Next the actual voices. I have assigned each beep or bugle with the correct tag e.g. UK gatso beep 1 or beep 2 for gatso 30. I did this through manage POI,s then when prompted remove warning yes or no, I pressed no, then checked the yardage clicked done left warn when near POI unchecked and started process again selecting UK gatso again, then moving onto next tag e.g. Beep 3 gatso 40 and so on and so on. However, I noticed on my way to work today that although I get the warning message gatso, I do get anything to denote speed e.g. warning gatso 30 or 40 or whatever the speed limit is – should I be getting this information. The cameras I pass on my way to work are many and in various speed zones, but all I get is gatso. A long post I know, but I would appreciate some advice as I am somewhat puzzled.
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your problem is that TT V5 POI warning features are severely limited in what it can achieve when compared to TT V3 running with either CheckPOInt or GPSAssist as you can't use wave files associated with each individual speed related camerae group to tell you what the speed limit is. Hopefully TT will release a SDK file for V5 to enable the use of 3rd party add-ons. Although I have ordered the upgrade I will stay with V3 as I like my spoken voice warnings such as "Warning approaching a Gatso" followed by a second warning "The speed limit is 30 mph"
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
PJEvans
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faust wrote:
However, I noticed on my way to work today that although I get the warning message gatso, I do get anything to denote speed e.g. warning gatso 30 or 40 or whatever the speed limit is – should I be getting this information. The cameras I pass on my way to work are many and in various speed zones, but all I get is gatso. A long post I know, but I would appreciate some advice as I am somewhat puzzled.

I've passed some camera's that also don't give the speed. I always thought that it was because when they were reported to whoever puts them on the database that a speed wasn't specified, and that they are then put into a general category of Gatso, hence no speed warning.
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xda wrote:
I think your problem is that TT V5 POI warning features are severely limited in what it can achieve when compared to TT V3 running with either CheckPOInt or GPSAssist as you can't use wave files associated with each individual speed related camerae group to tell you what the speed limit is. Hopefully TT will release a SDK file for V5 to enable the use of 3rd party add-ons. Although I have ordered the upgrade I will stay with V3 as I like my spoken voice warnings such as "Warning approaching a Gatso" followed by a second warning "The speed limit is 30 mph"

Well if that information is correct, then you completely burst my bubble Sad I was looking forward to the speed limit is warning. To be quite honest given that information and assuming it is correct I may as well go back to the bells and chimes, which I think actually have more impact. If the added speed indication was present on the TT GO300 then I would opt for voices, but just the word Gatso doesn't quite cut the mustard as far as I am concerned. :x

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: