Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Just bought MN5. How long does it take to arrive?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Just bought MN5. How long does it take to arrive?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coastie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Just bought MN5. How long does it take to arrive? Reply with quote

Hi. I ordered MN5 last week with "express delivery". I've sent my Tomtom disks to get the upgrade and they've taken my money.

Has anyone bought through their website? How long should express delivery take? I've emailed Navigon and had no reply. I hope their software is better than their customer service.

Coastie.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Germany they say it's five weeks on average. The Navigon shipment department is said to be ridiculously overwhelmed with orders.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have been waiting since 1st week of May, they have my money (charged on day of order), but I don't have my software !
Coastie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies..

I bought MN5 because Tomtom 5 didn't support Fujitsu Seimens PDAs. Tomtom will probably have a fix before my Navigon software arrives!

Coastie.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it arrived today after 6 weeks, and I wish now that I had never ordered it, after installing it and trying out I find that the NAVTEQ maps are so out date, a quick drive round and I found 3 islands that have been there for over 3 years are missing, 1 road that has been blocked off for 6 years shown as open, 1 garage poi that closed 4 years ago still shown, 1 garage that closed 9 years ago still shown, and all of that in a 15 minutes drive.

Other items that are poor include no space key in the no. key board;

Having to tap the map screen to exit it, which if not done correctly brings up the poi menu and not the exit one.

NEW

OLD

Map colours not attractive.

NEW

OLD

Also everything that you do seems to take twice as long as the old when just selecting it, sit there waiting for the loading icon to stop.

Very disappointed indeed.

Not a patch on the old version 4.2 using Tele Atlas maps.

Now how do I get my old discs back from them.
Spudson
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocketgps,

One of the things that I continue to express the need for is for locations that are known to be incorrect to be listed on the forums, together with details of the map release date. As far as reporting map errors to the suppliers, this (of course) needs to be continued, but publicising this on here would also help inform people whether or not it's worth the cash upgrading to the newer version.

Therefore, are you able to confirm the release date of the map data for v5? Destinator use Navteq and the latest release (Destinator PN) has a release date of Q4 2004.

From what I've read of the differences between Navteq/TeleAtlas, the general consensus seems to be that Navteq are ahead of TeleAtlas in terms of coverage. In fact, TeleAtlas don't even support Ireland (whereas Navteq do) - but I thought Navigon v4 was Navteq data too.

Are you able to shed any light in these respects?

Many thx

S
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what date the maps are, have looked at and explored the 2 supplied DVD's with the maps on but cannot find anything refering to the release date, every thing just says version 5.

The map problems I refered to above were OK in version 4.2 using Tele Atlas data, so I feel this is a backward step, I always liked the Tele Atlas maps personally, I think the problem is that the map data from Navteq and TeleAtlas is made in several versions, and we only get the basic maps supplied because of cost and profit, most of the in-car gps units have updated dvd's supplied every 6 months, and comparing the maps is quite a revelation.
Coastie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my trip to work, I've found that the MN5 map is far more advanced than the Tomtom one (V5).

Navigon certainly isn't perfect but I feel Tomtom have gone back a step. I much preferred TT V3. The TT V5 map doesn't seem to have changed. Going to work, there are 19 errors on TT V3 and exactly the same errors on V5! With MN5, there is 1 error and thats only with the voice instruction. The map is actually okay.

I've found MN5 is more fiddly to find an address and is alot slower but the database contains far more information so you're more likely to find what you are looking for. Albeit slow. BTW. I've increased by connection speed between the PDA and Bluetooth GPS to 38700 from 4800 and the software runs alot faster.

On the road, the voice prompts are alot better with MN5. The prompts give more information. I also like the motorway information. A blue bar appears on the top which gives you the Junction number, Motorway number and direction.

I was initially very frustrated with MN5 as well but I'm warming to it more and more.
melb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After ordering MN5 (upgrade) on the Navigon website I sent my disks off via standard post last wednesday and I have recieved my new software this morning (thurs 16/06/06) via their standard delivery.
It took 6 working days.... pretty good turnaround I think!

Lets hope the programe is as good as they claim!

I'll give it a good try and let you all know how I'm getting on with it next week.
Spudson
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mel B

I'd be really interested to hear whether you have the same view as pocketgps re. map quality. Are you able to check on some of the roads that are listed as errors in another thread on this forum abd advise?

Many thx.

S
kmhphoto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that so far MN5 is not living up to my expectations. I cannot understand why Heathrow's Terminal 4 is listed under POI's in several languages? If you select T4 Departures it tells you that it is a restricted area and then takes you to somewhere which is NOT T4. Try navigating to T4 Arrivals and it sends you past the terminal and around a couple of roundabouts before bringing you back there after requesting you to U Turn several times!
From West Drayton to T4, selecting "quick" route it wanted me to go up the M4 to the A312 then the A3 - absolutely stupid!!!!
It is also extremely slow in operation - and I have it as the only software installed on a HP4700 with 128mb RAM!
If you try to install the program to an SD card you could figure your way by map quicker than MN5 can.
This software makes Copilot Live 5 look great!
Lexusmike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: MN5 Delivery Reply with quote

I bought my MN5 upgrade on Thurs 5 May and it arrived on Tues 17 May and that was using standard delivery. The software is fine and works well when on the road, though as others have said, it can be a little on the slow side when attempting to find places. My only major gripe about it is the map colour, it leaves a lot to be desired. Although having said that, I was considering purchasing the upgrade to TT but after reading several comments about it I think I will stick with Navigon, it works well on my iPaq 1940.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: