Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom V5 - First Impressions....
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom V5 - First Impressions....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: TomTom V5 - First Impressions.... Reply with quote

OK, first night out using V5 and this is my first impression, let me say I've been using TomTom since V1 and many other gps products so this is not my first GPS system...

The user inferface has improved, the maps now show road names, and the scrolling is a lot smother and nicer. The safety screen is better, but there are a few rough edges ie the compass covers some of the text. Both landscape & portraite mode are supported

I was very concerned about the routing, due to the fact that TomTom have removed the ability to adjust the road speeds, its very early but this doesn't seem to have affected the routing. One nice touch is that when planning a new route you are now prompted for the type of route ie shortest quickest etc etc.

Now for the bad news.... If you have customised TomTom V3 so that the menus you use most are easily available then it appears that all the customisation has been removed. Only basic items can be changed, I find this a major problem. With V3 I had my traffic, night colours & exit options available on the first menu, you are stuck with the way TomTom configure them, it now takes three menus to exit.

So in summary... there's nothing new apart from the new user interface and full postcodes, and this seems to explain why TomTom have included the European map data to justify the upgrade.

Before anyone asks, YES I'm using a downloaded/pirated version however I believe I'm now entitled to do so... I've ordered two upgrades, TomTom have taken two payments, with no comitment to when they will deliver the upgrades apart from saying it could be five weeks. Therefore as money has been taken I own two licenses to use the TomTom V5 product.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry speedcam but speeking personally and taking my mods hat off i dont think it gives you right to use a pirated version of tt5 but thats my personal veiw not that im having a go. it looks like the go software i think going from the screen shots it a pitty you cant customise the menus but if the user interface is easier then it might be bonus for new users as tt3 was quiet complicated for new users of pocketpc's.
for someone thats not used gps before tt5 should be easy to get used to

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alix understand your view re the pirated software, I've sent TT an email and had received one of their 'could careless replies..' see below. As a customer we have no alternative, either let TT take customer money without shipping products and we wait or obtain the software while we wait... I've been honest and open, and have fully licensed copies of TT V1,2 & 3 so have no conerns about using software I've paid for ie V5, they have no excuse not to ship the goods, the product was announced in March, so they should have the product and manpower to ship orders.

TomTom Reply, no explaination as to why they have take my money ...

Thankyou for your question.

As stated on our order page, delivery of your product may require up to 5 weeks from the date of order. We are doing our best to dispatch your product as soon as possible and ask that you are patient.

We hope to have answered your question to your satisfaction.
With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alix understand your view re the pirated software, I've sent TT an email and had received one of their 'could careless replies..' see below. As a customer we have no alternative, either let TT take customer money without shipping products and we wait or obtain the software while we wait... I've been honest and open, and have fully licensed copies of TT V1,2 & 3 so have no conerns about using software I've paid for ie V5, they have no excuse not to ship the goods, the product was announced in March, so they should have the product and manpower to ship orders.

TomTom Reply, no explaination as to why they have take my money ...

Thankyou for your question.

As stated on our order page, delivery of your product may require up to 5 weeks from the date of order. We are doing our best to dispatch your product as soon as possible and ask that you are patient.

We hope to have answered your question to your satisfaction.
With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team
BadTasteUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my 2 pennies worth.... I believe you're perfectly fine using a pirate copy of the software, as long as you're not passing it around!

You now own a copy of the license, which in essence is all you're buying; the TomTom CD's are only a method of delivering you a copy of the software.

If I was a software developer, I wouldn't mind people who had paid me for my software, using a copy of it because I couldn't supply them quickly enough. The result is that he's happy, telling lots of people on here that it's good and it may encourage more people to buy it.

As I said, just my view, and I do accept the other side of it as well.

Wink
rayman206
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Tom Tom 5 Reply with quote

Whilst I agree that you are well withing your rights to 'test' the software, afterall you have paid for it. I believe that the 'Pirate' version that had surged accross the internet is not the completed 'Full release'. There is a file missing for the full 7 digit postcode lookup, and I have noticed it crashes out a few times whilst in the map view.

I would come to expect this as it is a 'Pirate' Version.

You cannot complain about features until you have tried the full reselase.

Just my opinion

Rayman
a4ace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom V5 - First Impressions.... Reply with quote

SpeedCam wrote:
Before anyone asks, YES I'm using a downloaded/pirated version however I believe I'm now entitled to do so... I've ordered two upgrades, TomTom have taken two payments, with no comitment to when they will deliver the upgrades apart from saying it could be five weeks. Therefore as money has been taken I own two licenses to use the TomTom V5 product.

has your order's status changed from authorised to captured? from their site, authorised means funds are available and payment can be made while captured means payment received.
Wilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pirated software I've seen has the full postcode support.

Even though you've paid for the TT5 licence, the use of the pirated software is still not allowed, as it goes against the TomTom 5 licence which states that the software can't be modified in anyway. The pirated software has map activation removed, and the one I've seen even goes as far as displaying "cracked" above the TomTom 5 logo during installation!
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The version I'm using has full postcode support, has not crashed and when checking the TomTom update sites says its upto date.

As an update I was very concerned about the routing, having used this today, I have to say that its not bad at all, nearly as good as my customised settings.

POI warnings system would be better if it had the option to warn based on time to POI. Depending on your speed, will change the amount of time you are given. 250 yards at 30mph is a lot different to 90mph.

The only thing I would like/is missing is the ability to assign a function to a PDA button.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: