Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help I can't see my transparent speed camera map
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help I can't see my transparent speed camera map
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viffer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Help I can't see my transparent speed camera map Reply with quote

Hello all. I am a newbie to all this and maybe someone more knowledgable can help me.

I got my Quest today and went exploring roads I'd never been down before. Inevitably, I happened across a speed camera or three and it dawned on me that my new Quest might be able to help out with that.

From the excellent information on this site, I have manged to download the transparent map fo camera locations, get it into MapSource and I think get in onto the Quest. (It is comes up under the map info menu) My trouble is, I just can't see any of the points on the map. I've zoomed in and out, scrolled around the map and even simulated a route past a known camera. I've loaded all the maps with the camera map first on the list and last on the list on the chance that the order of overlaping maps might affect whether I can see it. I have even switched off City Select but still can't see it.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Viffer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to solve it. Turns out that neither of the gatso's near my house are on the map Embarassed

I finally discovered the map setup area and under the point tab changed the hide above value for POI up to 2 miles and hey presto there they all were.

I hope others can learn from my mistake :D
DanGleebitz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Transparent map Reply with quote

Speed Camera details ... emm interesting !

Is this map available to down load?

Where is the site etc ... ?
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viffer wrote:
Managed to solve it. Turns out that neither of the gatso's near my house are on the map Embarassed

I hope you marked them as waypoints and submitted them to be added then! Wink

DanGleebitz wrote:
Speed Camera details ... emm interesting !

The camera database was converted by WiRED :D

WiRED wrote:
The Safety Camera POI map for Garmin GPSRs has now been updated to v3.054 of the database. It can be downloaded from:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/walterwright

The only problem is that Garmin won't do proximity alerts so there is no voice warning. Maybe if we keep badgering Garmin then they will add it as a feature to their GPS units. My old GPS-V could do proximity alerts (ie for boating) but it was limited to 10 POIs, not much use for speed cameras.
Viffer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
I hope you marked them as waypoints and submitted them to be added then! Wink

Happy to. Where would I submit that kind of information. It is definitely there as SWMBO has got 6 points to prove it Evil or Very Mad

Skippy wrote:
The only problem is that Garmin won't do proximity alerts so there is no voice warning. Maybe if we keep badgering Garmin then they will add it as a feature to their GPS units. My old GPS-V could do proximity alerts (ie for boating) but it was limited to 10 POIs, not much use for speed cameras.

Although there is no alert, it would help me if they were just a bit more noticable on the screen. Do you know if its possible to change the colour or size of the icons that are used on this map. The red dots tend to blend with the red roads and pink routes. If not, then I think it's a trip to the optition. 8O
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viffer wrote:
Where would I submit that kind of information.

There is a forum for it here

Viffer wrote:
Although there is no alert, it would help me if they were just a bit more noticable on the screen. Do you know if its possible to change the colour or size of the icons that are used on this map. The red dots tend to blend with the red roads and pink routes. If not, then I think it's a trip to the optition. 8O

I think you will have to ask WiRED about changing the icons. The map file format is quite complex and as far as I know, it is not possible to change the icons without recreating a new overlay. Confused

When creating the map overlay, it is technically possible to use any waypoint icon that the Quest can display. I think the ones WiRED is using are marine navaid icons. You can't make them bigger but there are quite a few to choose from.

To see a full list of icons hold down the enter button to create a waypoint and then go to the waypoint icon (just left of the waypoint name) and edit it. this will bring up a screen showing all the possible waypoints. You can also see a list of them in Mapsource.

I quite like the $ symbol for camera waypoints, but hey.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and Welcome too!
DPL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Help I can't see my transparent speed camera map Reply with quote

Viffer wrote:
I have manged to download the transparent map of camera locations...onto the Quest

This is excellent. I had thought it couldn't be done on a Quest, but here it is :D
dandywarhol
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't open the setup exe. file a window pops up reading "16 bit Windows Subsystem..................the system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and M/S windows applications" Sad
DPL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dandywarhol

I had no problems. Just downloaded the file, unzipped it, double clicked on the setup file icon and away we go... Smile Can I assume you unzipped it? (Sorry if that's a stupid question)
dandywarhol
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DPL

Yep I unzipped it but still unable to open it, something wrong with my PC - I tried it on my college pc and it worked - now need to install Mapsource at work Exclamation
dandywarhol
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - I'm being thick here but now I've successfully saved the programme, clicked "setup" and saved it to my Garmin destination folder, when I open the folder there are no files in it!
How do I upload the camera overlay into my Quest? After using "setup", the info box says that I can view the map in Mapsource or upload to my GPSR .................your's confused.......DW
DPL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's assume you've unzipped the file successfully and installed correctly from the setup icon. The speed camera database map should now be resident in Mapsource and you should see the map name in the drop down box top left screen along with City Select 6 and/or 7 whichever version you are using.

By selecting the map tool from the tool bar and City Select 6 or 7 from the drop down you highlight with the cursor those maps of UK/Europe that you want to load to your Quest remembering that all maps currently in the Quest will be erased when you download a new map set to it. As you do this the map segments change colour to indicate their selection and a list of the selected maps appears on the screen LHS. Now select the speed camera database map from the drop down and again with the cursor click on the map - there's only one map to cover the whole of the UK so you don't have to pick and choose areas. The speed camera database should now be added to the map list. Now simply download to the Quest using the send to device icon making sure the maps tick box is selected.

It should then all work Smile ...it did for me :D ...and the cameras appear as an overlay to the City Select maps you have selected. If it doesn't Sad let me know and if it helps I could talk you through it on the phone this evening... Question Email me on dplees53@aol.com if you want to make contact.
dandywarhol
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DPL

Thanks for all that.........I'll try it tomorrow as I can only seem to download the files on my office PC, then heading up to the far north of Scotland for a weekend of seafood and music - not so many cameras up there Smile , I'll post the results on return
dandywarhol
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help folks...job's a carrot :D This piece of kit and folks who produc the software amazes me more each day I use it!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: