Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Workarounds for CoPilot's problems.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Workarounds for CoPilot's problems.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's useful to see contributions from the USA such as those from BMWBiker, and now lynnk. It becomes more and more clear from what they report that USA road patterns do not show up the routing problems to anything like the same extent.

Just one final point regarding CP 4 unless BMWBiker comes back with more. I entered a few of my most recent offending routes on CP 4 this morning and found that CP 4 does consistently produce shorter routes than CP 5, but, as with the Scraptoft-Rearsby route, still not short enough and still favouring main roads.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently went to the ALK.eu website to see if there were any signs of developments. There were none.

I was also struck by the lack of change to the claims being made on the site. For example, despite the errors and not least the lack of 7-digit postcodes, the claim remains that one can:
Quote:
Just input a postcode, house number, street name, or point of interest and CoPilot Live will take you there safely, easily and efficiently, providing detailed voice instructions all the way.

Even worse, bearing in mind all that has been said, including instructions to “make a turnaround” after overriding Copilot’s calculated route, including on the A1’s barriered sections, we see the claims:
Quote:
CoPilot Live systems use ALK's intelligent route calculation engine that works out the best way to get you to your destination and continuously works out the optimal route based on your current position. If you miss a turn it simply works out the best new route, unlike other navigation systems that try to get you back to the original route.

The site even still includes the original review on this forum in its list of endorsements!

This is not encouraging given users' wish to see ALK acknowledge the issues.
GrimBeard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the ponderous' forum.

It is possible to enter a postcode and CP5 will take you to that area. The fact, and this is a fact in my opinion, others with 'O' levels in English may disagree, that CP5 only uses the first 5 digits to reference said postcode is rarely a problem for me. I don't and can't know how others feel about this. Personally, and this is not a recommendation, fix or workaround, I find the final destination in MS AutoRoute 2005, which incidentaly also uses 5 digit postcode references, then use AutoRoute's location sensor to exactly pinpoint the end point, then use that in CP5, never failed for me.

The 'make a turnaround' issue has not happened to me since I got a true UK install as described in a previous post that all people responded to (thanks KenS). Maybe, and I don't know for certain so don't start, this is due to the differing routing algoritms. Presumably, when the mapping was done, not by ALK I should add, the gaps were open in the barriers and it was possible to 'make a turnaround'. Since then, for safety reasons, many gaps have been closed on dual carrigeway's, no mapping software is completely up to date. Now there will be loads of posts telling me that
extra-coolmapopointdeluxe version 668.2349 is!!!!!!

I've said it before, if you don't like ALK, CP4-5Whatever or the way the program or support works, GET RID, sell it on Ebay, buy TomTom and eff off to their forums. GET OVER IT.

But pleeease end your exasperational whining.

GB
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll ignore Grimbeard's usual rubbish - since the Forum Team seem determined to do nothing about him.

However, since Grimbeard has, for a change, actually addressed some of the technical issues that I raised, I will respond to to his contribution.

The turnaround instructions are still happening. They are unacceptable and they contradict the claims made by ALK. Furthermore, if one just keeps quiet about them, then perhaps ALK will imagine that they no longer exist.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but I missed one of the points that Grimbeard did actually take the trouble to address. What he says does of course confirm my point; i.e. CP 5 does not find rural addresses. As a matter of fact, using Pocket Streets (an Autoroute companion for PPC) works around the problem quite well for me as I have said before. However, as the ALK blurb implies (and as their sales team said clearly to me before purchase) Copilot was supposed to find all addresses itself.

All in all, therefore, I am not sure what Grimbeard's objective was - other than, once more, to introduce insult and philistine behaviour. It certainly is not going to deflect me, I can assure him.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll get there in a second!

Grimbeard says that:

Quote:
MS AutoRoute 2005... also uses 5 digit postcode references...

In fact, MS Autoroute 2005 uses 7-digit postcodes - as does Pockets Streets.
jdw7
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will be able to forget about ALK and CoPilot's problems very soon. With the announcement that Sony are entering the market, mickey mouse companies like this will be kissing their ar**s goodbye. I doubt if they'll last long enough to release any more V5 updates, let alone V6.
GrimBeard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly what usual rubbish am I being accused of, that the Forum team needs to address? Or is sarcasm a crime now.

I actually thought my 'voices' post was rather good.

I didn't say turnarounds could be stopped, I merely gave a reason, my reason, for them happening. You could try editing one of the speech files and removing the reference to 'turnaround' as long as you don't want to 'turnaround'......................ever.

AutoRoute postcode digit number count.............Oh to be perfect.

Objective, to add positive input to an otherwise negative forum, if this also winds-up unspecified forum members then, well, life's a bitch ain't it.

GB (I'll close the door on my way out)
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the thread to which Grimbeard was apparently referring, entitled Voices and what he now writes, it appears that he seriously thought that my complaint was about the form of words that Copilot uses when instructing an about-turn. The exact words used have never been of interest to me except, of course, where the instructions are misleading or wrong, which is another matter. Neither, for that matter has the sound of the voice.

What I was fact highlighting was that, contrary to the ALK claim, Copilot does not:

Quote:
… continuously work out the optimal route based on your current position

and neither does it:

Quote:
If you miss a turn it simply works out the best new route, unlike other navigation systems that try to get you back to the original route.

Just like those other products, it tries to get you back onto its originally-calculated route - and it includes about-turns into the bargain.

It just shows how easily things can be misinterpreted.

As far as the “usual rubbish” is concerned, I really hope that I did misinterpret what Grimbeard said as he now seems to suggest, difficult though that seems to be to believe.

By the way, Grimbeard's Voices thread looks good to me.
GrimBeard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

GB
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PONDEROUS wrote:
Just one final point regarding CP 4 unless BMWBiker comes back with more. I entered a few of my most recent offending routes on CP 4 this morning and found that CP 4 does consistently produce shorter routes than CP 5, but, as with the Scraptoft-Rearsby route, still not short enough and still favouring main roads.

Sorry, I've had little time to investigate, and will be away for most of the next week.

But I did confirm that my laptop with CoPilot V4.0.4.7 USA finds very interesting short routes in Pennsylvania, where CP5 avoids most of these small roads in favor of bigger and longer ones.

This is interesting to me since it indicates CP once had a better algorithm and could return to it.

The CP5 Help file says:
"Shortest routes travel the least distance while maintaining a reasonable route." I think they have revised the meaning of 'reasonable' too much recently, by giving excess weight to 'better' and faster road types.

Incidentally, I noticed that the options to 'favor' or 'avoid' road types under the Trip Options map to numbers as follows:
200 = Completely avoid (slider left)
100 = Neutral (slider center)
50 = Completely favor (slider right)

These numbers are stored in hex (from c8 to 64 to 32) in the file usertrip.dat in directory: C:\Program Files\CoPilot\PocketPC5\NA\Save

In that path NA refers to NorthAmerica, it would be EU in UK and Europe.
(I notice that the CP4 seems to fail to store the preferences, they snap back to neutral for all the road types.)

In the PPC the file is stored in StorageCard\CoPilot\Save\usertrip.dat

So the road weightings appear to be inverse percentages.

It seems to me that the true shortest route is so obvious and easy to compute, that the only way you could deviate from it is to assign excess weight to other road types.
That shouldn't be hard to fix.
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
KenS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMWBiker wrote:
Incidentally, I noticed that the options to 'favor' or 'avoid' road types under the Trip Options map to numbers as follows:
200 = Completely avoid (slider left)
100 = Neutral (slider center)
50 = Completely favor (slider right)

These numbers are stored in hex (from c8 to 64 to 32) in the file usertrip.dat in directory: C:\Program Files\CoPilot\PocketPC5\NA\Save
So the road weightings appear to be inverse percentages.

I think I've explained this before in another thread. Basically the favour/avoid value is used to tell the routing algorithm to treat a section of road as though it was that many percent of its actual length. So if a section of road is 10km and you have the slider all the way right at 50 (that is 50%) the routing algorithm treats that section of road as being 5km long. If you move the slider all the way left to 200% it treats the section of road as being 20km long.
Worth restating also that calculating the shortest route in any reasonable time is far from obvious unless perhaps you have a PhD in Graph Theory.

HP iPAQ h2210 ROM 1.10.07 ENG
Windows CE 4.20
Sandisk Ultra II SD 512Mb
Haicom 303MMF and BT-401 slipper
Copilot Live 6.0.0.68
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What KenS says clearly makes sense, including his cautionary note about calculating the shortest route.

For this system to work at all, the Shortest route has to be literally shortest when the road type biases are all at zero, or neutral. As we have discovered from the thread that KenS mentions, achieving this is not a matter of adjusting the sliders between Favour and Avoid. It has to be done by calibration during programming at ALK.

However, even if ALK were successfully to calibrate the road preferences, the sliding scales between Favour and Avoid still need to be replaced if KenS is right. Otherwise, if, for example, a road type is set completely to avoid, it will still be included where it produces the shortest route taking all other road types into account. Therefore, a learner driver hoping that Motorways will be excluded may well have problems. Similarly, a truck driver wanting to avoid narrow lanes may find some of them included.

What is needed is a system that produces shortest routes whatever types of road are included or excluded. When a road type is excluded, it needs completely to be excluded, and when it is included, it needs to be completely included. This needs to be true whether we are in Shortest or Quickest mode. We need control of what types of road to expect to find on the routes, and CP 5 does not allow that. CP 5's attmpt to do it by percentages sounds sophisticated and it may seem as if it offers great flexibility, but all it achieves is confusion.
DanB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read the first three pages of this post and as ever this thread has degenerated into a free-for-all CoPilot ranting session. I'm not even going to tell you what I think of CoPilot because I can't for the life of me see why any of you would give a monkeys what I think about it. Just in the same way that I frankly don't give a monkeys about whether anyone else likes it or not.

But just in case I've made a mistake in skipping through the remaining 12 pages on the basis that they were likely to be just like the first 3 - the same old characters whittering on about the same old gripes for the hundredth time - perhaps someone could answer this simple question -

Has anyone on this thread actually posted an informative and useful suggestion about how we, as users, can make CoPilot better to use?

Thank you

Dan
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanB wrote:
Has anyone on this thread actually posted an informative and useful suggestion about how we, as users, can make CoPilot better to use?

Although there are a lot of disgruntled CoPilot customers here on the forum, we have done a lot of work to try and find workarounds for the problems.

You could dismiss us as a bunch of bitter and twisted CoPilot users, but there is no denying that the problems are real and quite simply there is no viable workaround for most of them. Even more disappointing is that ALK are making NO effort to address the problems.

And don't mention the Traffic which still doesn't exist almost a year after they announced it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 15 of 17

Jump to: