Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CoPilot 5 database deficiencies
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CoPilot 5 database deficiencies
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: CoPilot 5 database deficiencies Reply with quote

There are serious problems with the Copilot 5 database search facility. The following example illustrates the point.

Arrow I want to go to Coniston Grove, Middlesbrough, England, so I follow the usual procedure, as follows:

Smile In 1st screen confirm Country as UK: CP 5 accepts;
Smile In 2nd screen enter Middlesbrough as City: CP 5 accepts;
Smile In 3rd screen enter Coniston Grove as street: CP 5 accepts;
Crying or Very sad In 4th screen, CP 5 shows “None” for street in Middlesbrough itself and for Nearby Cities.

Coniston Grove is in LINTHORPE, which has for 70 or 80 years been part of the Middlesbrough conurbation. If one enters Linthorpe as the city, then CP 5 finds it. However most people giving the address give it as Middlesbrough. If the user does not know the former village name, then it will be impossible to find the street.

Clearly, as CP 5 does not have this address listed under Middlesbrough, it should locate it under “Nearby cities”.

This has happened to me with dozens of addresses in Middlesbrough, Leicester and Loughborough. I have not tested it with other towns, although of course ALK will be able to do so since their product has a “Planning” mode.

It is a major fault that has caused me significant inconvenience and time-wasting. I have not reported it before largely because I have been waiting to check whether a faulty SD card might be the culprit. I am now satisfied that it is not an SD card problem.

Could ALK please post the solution or proposed course of action on this thread.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALK use NavTEQ maps. While it makes sense to report this to ALK you will also want to report this to NavTEQ directly. The link is in my signature.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to give the other side of the coin, Garmin Mapsource CitySelect V7 (NAVTEQ data), using Garmin Que, finds the road under Middlesbrough but not under Linthorpe.

Of course, the vastly superior ( :D ) Navman SmartST finds this road whether you put Middlesbrough or Linthorpe in.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Tim Buxton. I am sure you appreciate that finding it under Middlesbrough would be fine, and that Linthorpe is not a satisactory alternative when it does not show up in Nearby cities and it is part oif Middlesbrough these days.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to my reply to Tim Buxton, I should say that the application must find the Middleborough address rather the former village address as users will otherwise be stuck with having to flag down local people or buying paper maps to find out where they are. I presently get over it by searching for the address in Pocket Streets.

Sorry, Lutz, I didn't notice that you had also replied. I won't contact Navteq, however, as the product is the responsibility of ALK and the fault may or may not be relevant to Navteq - and perhaps it is not given Tim Buxton's observations about Navman.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PONDEROUS wrote:
Thanks, Tim Buxton. I am sure you appreciate that finding it under Middlesbrough would be fine, and that Linthorpe is not a satisactory alternative when it does not show up in Nearby cities and it is part oif Middlesbrough these days.

Please can you stop being so formal? Tim is fine. Smile

I would expect to be able to find it under both if the postal address is Coniston Grove, Linthorpe, Middlesbrough. I highlighted the place under which Garmin finds the road to indicate that, as you concluded, it is an ALK thing as opposed to a NAVTEQ thing, unless of course the data has changed between versions. CitySelect is probably the latest available from NAVTEQ; I don't know what vintage the CP5 data is.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, Tim Buxton.

Just to clarify it, then: what I was trying to get across was that "Linthorpe" does not usually appear in the address at all; i.e. the address is Coniston Grove, Middlesborough except to those with local knowledge. Therefore, that is how it needs to be treated by a GPS navigator. To be able to find it under Linthorpe would be a nice bonus, but not a satisfactory alternative.

It is worth stating again that this is only one example. In fact where similar has occurred in other parts of the country, I have not necessarily been able to discover what the equivalent of Linthorpe is - if there is one at all. As I say, without Pocket Streets running alongside, I would simply have to go out and get a paper map.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
Please can you stop being so formal? Tim is fine.

PONDEROUS wrote:
Thanks again, Tim Buxton.

I take it that's a "No.", then. Sad
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Tim. I completely overlooked that line:

Quote:
Please can you stop being so formal? Tim is fine.

Also, I was just using your full forum user name, which happens to include your surname (presumably) as well as your forename.

So, it was a Confused rather than a Crying or Very sad ; i.e. I was rushing it too much.
clivers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tell you what PONDEROUS.
why dont you take a leaf out of my book. save yourself the stress and a heartattack and just uninstall it like i did. and just use tomtom instead. i know the maps are a bit dodgy. but it works.

I know it cost me a small fortune. but like they say, i only get ripped off once.
GrimBeard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the difference between dodgy maps in TomTom and the dodgy bits in CP5. I may be:

1. Too young
2. Too naieve (no speller sorry!!)
3. Too easily pleaesd

I use CP5 (.48v) and i think it's rather good

GB
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clivers wrote:
just use tomtom instead.

I just got a Garmin Quest and I really like it. £340 for the GPS and full European maps.

I'm still angry about the CoPilot fiasco though, if it did all it promised then it would be a great product - too bad it's riddled with bugs and the traffic feature doesn't work.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to update the situation on the database search inadequacies. I tried addresses in Birmingham, Nottingham, Wolverhampton then decided that was enough: the only reasonable conclusion is that this is a general problem in conurbations.

You may think it's rather good, Grimbeard, and that's up to you. However, it does not seem to be relevant to the fault that I have described - unless you are suggesting that the failt does not exist.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, I have received no response from Dave or ALK concerning this fault. I appreciate that it is early days as far as this particular fault report is concerned.

However, in case it has anything to do with the email address I used, I should say that the email address that Dave specified in his thread, Announcement: CoPilot Live Bug Reporting, appears unusual and unusable. It is:

daveburrows_~@at~@_gmail.com

Because it would not work, I used Daveburrows[remove]@[remove]gmail.com.
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just take out the _ ~ at and one of the @
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: