Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - V5.1 Screen Brightness/Contrast
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

V5.1 Screen Brightness/Contrast
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: V5.1 Screen Brightness/Contrast Reply with quote

Would anyone who has upgraded to v5.1 care to comment on whether there is any change to the v5 washed-out screen situation.

Apart from subjective impressions, the objective test seems to be to check whether the screen goes completely black when you slide the brightness slider all the way to zero. If it does, the problem is present. If the screen is still just visible (as per v4) there is no problem. [Make a mental note of where the slider is before the screen goes black, so that you can slide it back again even though you can't see it!]

Roger
SGR1913
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine is visible at 0% with v5.1
Fibre
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have down loaded and installed 5.1

Just tried the screen thing and at 0% I can "just" make out the slider -- is that right or wrong..
Question
that is on both the day and night settings...
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fibre wrote:
I have down loaded and installed 5.1

Just tried the screen thing and at 0% I can "just" make out the slider -- is that right or wrong.. Question .

It's an improvement over mine with v5.0

At 5% it is very faint - and at 0%the screen is completely black!

When I put the old v4 card in, I can still see the screen at 0%.

Have you used your TTG in anger since loading 5.1 and, if so, how visible was the screen in decent daylight?

Roger
Evilution
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sticking with V5, at 0% I can see the screen and 100% is too bright.
Zuke
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Roger
It would seem that your survey is not necessary if this post is correct.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zuke wrote:
Roger
It would seem that your survey is not necessary if this post is correct.

Perhaps - but it's still good to get people's first-hand experiences.

Others have recently reported dialogues with TT in which TT claim to be unaware of any brightness problems - so they must have become aware rather suddenly if they've fixed it in v5.1 !

Roger
Outlander
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 2:03 am    Post subject: brightness Reply with quote

D/L 5.10 but still have a dim screen.
Frazzle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am one of the peole who measured the brigtness levels of the TTG screen. (too much time on my hands !)

I have installed the new v571 maps and the V5.10 software.

The install is from the new Tom Tom upgrade SDcard which I copied to a 512MB SDcard and uppgraded to V5.10.

I DID NOT apply Wishlists excellent "fix" to my install and this is what I have found so far:

I have not done any more tests but I can report that I get a "just" visable display with the level set to 0 percent. I believe the back light is off but you get enough external light on the LCD to see what is being displayed.

I now run my TTG at 90 percent brightness as 100 percent is too bright !
There is also excellent contrast in the image.

This is how I remember my TTG performing when I first bought it.

Looks like, in my case, all is back to normal except for the 0 percent backlight level, and I don't believe I will ever be using my TTG at that end of the range anyway so NO WORRIES :D
Boxbrownie
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated today and find no difference between V5 and V5.1 at 0% the backlight is OFF on both versions, there seems to be no difference to maximum brightness either.

Best regards David
washbrook
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Frazzle"] I DID NOT apply Wishlists excellent "fix" to my install

Hi Bud... could you please remind me of this 'fix' as I am still having issues with the display and I have tried so many things now, I can't remember which one this is. I am going to give it another shot.

Cheers
Dave
Frazzle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Washbrook,

Here it is......

Delete the "Jane" voice files using the TTG menu NOT using your PC and USB link.

Re install "Jane" by dragging her files from your original installation CD onto the TTG using the USB link and yor PC.

For some reason this actualy works for many people.

Credit to Wishlist for this "fix".

It is very important to delete the voice using the TTG menu so don't be tempted to just use your PC for this as it does not work for some reason.

It's a bit of a mystery why this effects the screen but hey if it works who cares :-)

V5.10 software may not need this "fix".
washbrook
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Frazzle...

Thank's for the quick reply and the info too, I appreciate it and will give it another try this evening as I would love to get my display back to being as easy to see again as it was with v4.42.

My saga with TT and the screen issue has not been resolved yet and even after 'reluctantly' returning it to TT at their request. It's far too long a story to post here but basically, the whole scenario has not been a good experience.

Surprisingly, I got my own unit returned back in three days but without even a note or any details at all from TT as to what they had found or done. It's certainly no different at all to when I sent it to them and it actually came back with a non-working 'latest' maps SD card that now won't even boot up yet this was OK when I sent it to them. They insist it was working OK when they sent it back to me.

My GO was returned in what I would consider to be a very lightweight envelope (considering TTG's value, at least to me) and this was placed inside another cardboard envelope. No extra padding to protect the GO. The screen was absolutely smothered with greasy fingerprints and smears that weren't there when they got it. They even messed up the pickup arrangement with DHL by a few days and I had to end up arranging it myself.

Like I said, the saga continues but I am far from happy with TT support and their 'lack of' communications and have expressed this to their Manager in a letter I am sending today. Their customer Support suggested I do this as they are "unable to resolve my issues" for me.

I'ts such a pitty it has come to this hassle with them because I really do think this is a brilliant piece of kit but it is being let down by TT support and a couple of issues since v5 such as the 'confusing' instructions and 'display' issues.

Lets see what happens next.... they are supposed to be picking my v5 maps up today to replace that now so it's a good job I made a backup copy when I bought it so that I can still use that meanwhile.

Well... sorry for going on a bit but this has been ongoing with TT now for around 6 weeks now and I am so frustrated at the so called 'support' I am getting from them since the v5 upgrade issues, at least it let's others see what's going on regarding these current topics and what 'help' is avaiable.

Thank's for your help Frazzle, and your time.

Cheers
Dave
Fibre
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have come to the conclusion that my screen IS dimmer than previous -- when the sun is any where near i - it becomes impossible to see -- shade OK - sun no good so I have been looking at the "fix"

Frazzle wrote:
Hi Washbrook,
Here it is......
Delete the "Jane" voice files using the TTGO menu NOT using your PC and USB link.

Re install "Jane" by dragging her files from your original installation CD onto the TTGO using the USB link and your PC.
For some reason this actually works for many people.
Credit to Wishlist for this "fix".
It is very important to delete the voice using the TTGO menu so don't be tempted to just use your PC for this as it does not work for some reason.
It's a bit of a mystery why this effects the screen but hey if it works who cares :-)
V5.10 software may not need this "fix".

Thanks for this info...

Can you tell me which file is the Jane voice? that I drag from my CD to my TTGO SD ???
washbrook
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fibre wrote:

Thanks for this info...

Can you tell me which file is the Jane voice? that I drag from my CD to my TTGO SD ???

Hi Fibre...

If you look on the TT CD go to the 'voice' folder, then 'engf' (english female), and you will see two files. These are the files I used and they will show as data05.chk and engf.vif

Good luck with the fix and I hope it works for you, because from what I have found, personally, TomTom don't believe there is an issue with the screen. They have even had my unit back but they say its OK so just returned it back to me all within three days. Apart from wanting to see it for themselves, they have been of no help to me at all and they don't seem that interested either.

So far, mine doesn't appear to be any brighter after trying the fix but to be fair, I haven't had a real chance to find out yet as its been so overcast or raining since doing it. Version 5 definately gave me a problem seeing it when it's bright or sunny, compared to v4.42 otherwise like you, it's fine. Fingers crossed..... with a bit of luck I will find out on my hols next week.

Good luck

Cheers
Dave

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: