Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - OK we have got V5. What do we want to see in Version 6.0
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

OK we have got V5. What do we want to see in Version 6.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AntonM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a fairly recent TomTom user, having had TTN5 on a Palm TX for perhaps a month. I've used two other GPS systems, one on a laptop and another a vehicle retro-fit (VDO Dayton) in my employer's fleet. Both had some features I miss in TTN5, and TTN5 has good features which neither of them had. I'm aware that TomTom is primarily a automobile road user's tool, but of course it could be more than that, and the core functionality is all there (some of it seemimgly deliberately crippled though, like the limit of 40 POI categories!).

In what follows I'll try not to duplicate what other forum users have already said. I'd be grateful if I could be put right if there's an existing way of doing what I've listed.

1. Itinerary planning. I can't find a way of seeing the planned route between itinerary points without actually setting off on the itinerary. Have I missed something?

2. Route planning. It seems that I can have only one "Travel via" point. As soon as I set another one, the first one is lost. I'd also like to be able to save a route as well as an itinerary.

3. Editing POI and Favourites. Favourites seem a bit easier to edit thatn POI (why not use the same system for both?). I'd like an easier. more intuitive way ofediting a POI/Fav's position, e.g., by dragging it on the map, or using the navigation keys to nudge it into the right place, or move it to current GPS position (E.g., I've marked the pub's approximate position and, having driven to it, I want to adjust the position I'd originally marked -- and correct the spelling mistake in the name -- without having to re-do the entire exercise).

4. Map colours. I am colour blind to quite an extent, and I 'd very much like to assign colours to the map in a 100% flexible way, without being bound to TomTom's engineers' preferences, who can't see through my eyes.

5. Status bar content. I'd like total control over what goes where on the status bar, and how big the item is -- a sort of "design your own skin" option.

6. Detailed maps exist of Ireland, Isle of Man, and Channel Islands. Where are they for TomTom? Agreed that IoM and CI are pretty small and kinda hard to get lost there, but the Isle of Wight has been done, so clearly size is not the issue.

7. Connection to TT's servers via a normal Internet connection. Presently one has to have a WEB not WAP enabled GPRS mobile phone, and TT explicitly state that I would have to get the right settings from my ISP (cold feeling in pit of stomach). I don't need a phone like that for my own lifestyle, and I'm not going to buy one for my satnav either. I've got Internet like a great many people in the UK, so please can I use that please?

8. Footpaths, bridleways, etc. Would be really nice for walking if they were all shown (or enable-able).

9. Device hardware buttons. I realise that not all devices have the same hardware buttons (if any), but it would be useful to be able to allocate any or all to user-selected functions. E.g., button in the bottom right corner of my Palm TX could be as "mark gurrent GPS position as a POI/Fav/whatever".
mumbo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:55 am    Post subject: WISHLIST Reply with quote

1. I thought it would be cool to hit a hotspot on the screen and have the GPS text the coordinates via a bluetooth and a cell phone. Interfaceing the SMS message with a website, I could have them open a webpage to see exactly where I am.

2. On the TomTom Go 300, I really need a hotspot on the navigation screen that I can quickly touch to mute the speech.

3. It would be nice it the unit could be used as a bluetooth GPS, sending NMEA data to my laptop.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good points Anton

On your map colour question though, there are quite a few third-party colour schemes around (some Here)
and a complete colour editor at colorschemeeditor.com
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi AntonM,

AntonM wrote:
6. Detailed maps exist of Ireland, Isle of Man, and Channel Islands. Where are they for TomTom? Agreed that IoM and CI are pretty small and kinda hard to get lost there, but the Isle of Wight has been done, so clearly size is not the issue.

Absolutely agreed with you on this one. Tele Atlas has not mapped the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands, however Navteq have mapped both the IoM and the CI. TomTom use Tele Atlas maps for all of their products except for the TT Rider, which uses Navteq maps.

Now at this point you’re probably wondering why TomTom don’t offer Navteq maps for those places where Tele Atlas hasn’t yet mapped. I don’t know but I’d guess that it’s a licensing issue. I’d like to see downloadable maps for the IoM and the CI for all TomTom products.

Bo Peep and I have just return from a fortnight’s holiday in Jersey. We drove to the ferry using TomTom Navigator 5 and once we arrived, we swapped over to use Co Pilot 5.0.1.3. I have to admit that I prefer TomTom far more than CoPilot, but CoPilot is better than nothing. Wink

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: WISHLIST Reply with quote

mumbo wrote:
2. On the TomTom Go 300, I really need a hotspot on the navigation screen that I can quickly touch to mute the speech.

That hospot exists - kinda sorta. If you tap in the lower left corner twice it will put the sound volume down to 10 %, barely audible. First tap brings up the volume slider, second tap sets it to the far left.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
AntonM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Andy and Privateer. I had no idea there was so much useful information available! Smile
RootBreaker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have yet to use TomTom or any other GPS software...

this is for the pda.....

however you could get a few of us to buy it if you added some of these....

#1 breadcrumb trails or automatic waypoints so we can create trails... offroad trails that we could even export and create a printable map. I have yet to find any software that will do automatic waypoints on a pda

#2 Speedometer... nice and big.. easy to read... some of us have trucks where the speedometer cannot be re-calibrated and would love to use a speedo.... I saw in a screenshot where you have the speed listed but kinda small... NICE AND BIG

#3 I see that alot of what I read shows... avoid road... what about avoid part of a road? lets say you get in traffic.. and know it is for 2 blocks... if you could hit a avoid part of road.. then it show it and you click 2 points or something like that.....

I personally want to stick with the pda as I have many uses for it..... I thought about buying a tomtom unit for the car but I feel it is limited and love my pda......
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RootBreaker wrote:

#3 I see that alot of what I read shows... avoid road... what about avoid part of a road? lets say you get in traffic.. and know it is for 2 blocks... if you could hit a avoid part of road.. then it show it and you click 2 points or something like that.....

It already has that (except for the clicking two points bit)...

Pic taken from the TT website, IIRC it looks slightly different on my Go300 (it's displayed in yards if nothing else).
RootBreaker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
RootBreaker wrote:

It already has that (except for the clicking two points bit)...

Pic taken from the TT website, IIRC it looks slightly different on my Go300 (it's displayed in yards if nothing else).

NICE!!!!! I only am a web gpser as I havent bought anything yet...

hmmm the sea saw is teetering to TomTom now... Smile
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to get a better idea, the manual for the new range is Here

and for the old range is Here

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: