Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Fastest, shortest but NOT quickest
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Fastest, shortest but NOT quickest

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patrick_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Fastest, shortest but NOT quickest Reply with quote

I think the software is too biased towards FASTEST when what is wanted is QUICKEST. If I plan a route into London it always selects A12/M25/M11 instead of just sticking to the A12 Eastern Avenue.
The extra mileage going round two sides of a triangle may involve faster speeds but may not be a quicker journey.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll find that it defines "fastest" as "shortest journey time" - using whatever criteria it employs to estimate speed over different types of roads.

Try forcing it to go a different way with a "Go Via" or Itinerary and see if it reports a shorter journey time. I doubt whether it will.

Roger
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or Calculate Alternative.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Evilution
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing fastest doesn't mean fastest roads, its defo the fastest journey time. (therefore quickest).
Crocodile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As has been said already, fastest & quickest are the same thing in Tom Tom. They are measurements of time taken to complete the journey, not of speeds driven (although obviously the two are closely related).

In the example you give, the extra distance driven between the Brook St. roundabout & the Redbridge roundabout would be around 5 miles at motorway speeds. The direct route is limited to 40/50MPH & encounters (from memory) a dozen sets of traffic lights & a couple of roundabouts. The M25/M11 route will always be the quickest with the possible exception of the morning rush hour.

One thing to be aware of though is that Tom Tom has no evaluation of the time saved on a given route. It will quite happily send you on an extra 20 miles to save a couple of minutes. It's always worth checking before accepting the recommended route.
stargazer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with the Go... this route is generally much quicker than the A12! Unless the m25 is blocked of course. There are always lots of jams around Romford and Gants Hill and the m25 route only takes about 25 mins
JohnBoy59
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. TTG often comes up with what looks like a fairly long but fast route but almost every time I've used this feature I have arrived quicker than an obvious fairly quick route.
bigyun2000
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all

I have same problems where i live. FASTEST/SHORTEST Not much difference. I travel from HULL to Scunthorpe regularly.

Both routes take me a rubbish way mainly due to traffic and very poor roads in that too many bends etc which reduce speed.

Its about time they did ECONOMICAL

The best, fastest and most economical route From Hull To Scunthorpe (from where i live anyway) is down the A164, over the Humber Bridge, A18 to M180 Turn right onto it then off at A15.

Simple quick and economical and far less trasffic

Cheers

TOM TOM GO 530
Version 9.510 (2039, 4/4/2013) | OS: 842337 | MAP v910.4892 | iPad Mini | iPhone 5 |
gingernut777
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
Or Calculate Alternative.

I had to go to Batley the other day, and took the TT Go as i hadn't the foggiest where i was going.

Typed in address, Bradford road, and the house number, no problem. Got into Batley, and had to "calculate alternative" because of a hold up, it told me to take first left, so trusting the Go, off i went.

After going down a "single track, pot-holed road", through a "car park" to get onto road on other side, down the side of a "Plastics Warehouse" private Road, ( Thanks to the Secretary for showing me the right direction ) i arrived safely, but somewhat aching from my laughing, at my intended destination.

As i said, i didn't know where i was going in Batley, only the address, but the TomTom Go got me there, Eventually

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: