Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Medion MDPNA100. Comment & what next?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Medion MDPNA100. Comment & what next?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stukno
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Medion MDPNA100. Comment & what next? Reply with quote

Hi all,
Thanks to all past contributors to this forum, your comments and advice helped me to choose and successfully set up my Medion MDPNA100 bought through H******S.
Just thought that I would give a little feedback on initial thoughts and mods so far and ask what else can be done with it.

First Thoughts and Set Up.
I went for a PDA device because I already have an ancient Palm which contains all of my work contact numbers. I seriously considered the Tom Tom dedicated unit but eventually went for the Medion because it fits in the pocket so well and has uses elsewhere. The TT device has a larger screen but apart from finding the smallest numbers hard to read, time/miles to destination, this has not proved to be a problem.

The device worked straight out of the box and is fairly intuitive. The manual is retained on the CDs and has 160 pages to print out. Its not that useful when you have it, so perhaps better to explore without and then access the bits that you need when all else has failed.
Add Ons
I have loaded up the POI Warner software and speed camera database using the information contained in these forums. This gives access to points of interest data including banks, car parks, supermarkets, restaurants, red light districts! for the UK and much of Europe. The camera db is excellent although I did find a road near Preston which seems to have escaped inclusion. Best not to rely on this too much
Upgrades
I also bought a larger storage card. Not essential unless traveling across the channel without a lap top. The card included with the device is pretty full with the UK maps. If you want immediate access to the Euro maps without download / upload via a computer, a larger card is required. I use a 512 SD card which seems to take UK & France without difficulty. Elsewhere on these forums, Pontyslapper gives info on a 1 meg card which has space for all the maps on the CD.
User Feedback
Speaking of mapping, I am impressed. Very few errors have been found in the first few weeks of use. If a destination is entered as a street name inc house number, on arrival at destination you will be outside the exact house entered.. which I though was pretty cool.
There have been a few map errors, the new Selby by pass doesn't feature at all, the odd roundabout is not shown, but in general its all excellent, giving early warning upcoming junctions in time for safe lane changing followed by verbal directions, backed up by clear visual information on the screen. I took a trip from home to Cornwall, calling in Plymouth, a solo drive of 370 miles. it was so easy with no stops to check maps. remember motorway junctions and all that faff which causes stress on the usual long run in unfamiliar territory.

I guess that most of these devices do exactly what they say on the tin, but I am well pleased with this unit and don't begrudge a penny spent. just wish that I had bought it much sooner!

Where next?
Question to other owners of the same gadget- What else can be done with it?
Are there any other useful software uploads like the POI add on? Post codes?
Is there any way to update maps in the future?
Anyone found a protective hardcase that fits this unit?
What else is it good at? going to check out storing MP3s and photos but guess that will soak up memory quick time.
regards to all
Stu K
nore
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: medion MDPNA100 Reply with quote

I have also just purchased a unit and is up and running without problems but I would like to add a speed camera data base.

I have no idear how to go about this and hope you can make some suggestions as I understand you have done this.

Do I need to purchase any additional software or is it a case of downloading a suitable data base?

Hope someone can help

John
stukno
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this link & follow it exactly

http://www.amngps4.wanadoo.co.uk/

It works well although the camera database is not infallible. Main Road & Motorways but I have found a few that are not listed.

regards
SK
staib
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Apart from the default GPS and speedcam warning system (POIWarner) I have also played around with 2 other apps - just Google for links:

Navio

You can then use the GPS to simply plot a track (eg off road) or plot against your own map/chart etc. One potential application is to plot your position over say historic maps eg the D-Day landing maps, then visit Normandy and walk to, or over, the actual features

BetaPlayer

Will play mpg files which the Media Player won't always play...

Good luck,

Nick[/b]

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: