Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS cable
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS cable
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alweekes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Data is inverted when compared to the standard output from a Garmin GPS12 or TomTom wired receiver.

Is the Tom Tom receiver not RS232 levels then?

I'd thought it was, from the data I've found scattered around. I'm interested in this as I want to connect the Inforad to a Tom Tom cradle for a Dell X30 and had thought the Tom Tom cradle accepted RS232 levels?

Andy.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try one of these if you want "true rs232" - extact below is from Garmin site I have one on the Volvo's roof it works great - Mike

"GPS35-HVS Attached 5 meter power/data cable with bare wire ends. Accepts power from unregulated high voltage power supplies between 6 and 40 VDC. Asynchronous serial data interfaces via 2 serial ports with true RS-232 voltage level outputs."
BruceH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile All I can say is when I looked at the outputs of the Garmin GPS 12 and a tomTom wired on a scope, they both had similar outputs. Logic 0 is at 0V and Logic High is at approx 3.3V. Neither showed the normal RS232 +/- voltage swing which you would expect from true RS232. What I don't know is if the Ipaq expects a standard RS232 at its input, or if when you connect to a true serial port as on a PC, what you get out, I haven't looked so I can't say.
When I configure TomTom 3 or 5 for a wired input the Garmin and the TomTom both work if you use a standard wired receiver selection at 4800 baud.
Just to add confusion, and I really have no idea why this happens, TomTom 5 will not run reliably with a non TomTom receiver except the Inforad with the data inversion I have descibed. Levels / later version of NMEA / slew rates? I have no idea.
All I can say is it runs well with the simple circiut I used on an Ipaq 2210. Other PDAs may be more selective and need true RS232, I only have the Ipaq so I can't say.
I have also connected the Garmin GPS 12 to the Ipaq with tomtom. I got the Garmin 4/5 pin connector from the PFranc web site, for the price of a donation!
Modified a standard Ipaq connector and using a HP car adaptor for the Ipaq ran the Ipaq and the Garmin off the same supply. I had the connector and supply any way but I think they cost approx £18, and so I didn't need to buy the Garmin cable. I just fed the GPS 12 output straight into the Ipaq.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: