Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - MyGuide 6500XL = Mitac Mio 168?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

MyGuide 6500XL = Mitac Mio 168?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: MyGuide 6500XL = Mitac Mio 168? Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a MyGuide 6500XL. I believe that this is re-badged version of the Mitac Mio 168.

However there are small cosmetic differences and ads for the Mio 168 say it has a 300MHz processor while the MyGuide 6500XL claims a 400Mhz processor. Can I be sure that accessories designed for the Mio 168 will work with a MyGuide 6500XL?

Thanks for any info.

John.
mightymart
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm not being any help Embarassed but how much did you pay for your MyGuide 6500XL & where did you buy it from ?.
Thanks
mightymart
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also does it have a removable battery, as the Mio 168 does not ???.
jwts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightymart wrote:
I know I'm not being any help Embarassed but how much did you pay for your MyGuide 6500XL & where did you buy it from ?.
Thanks

Hi,

I appreciate it when others answer my questions so I'm happy to answer yours.

I got my MyGuide 6500XL from Lidls at the amazing price of £199! I knew this was a bargain and others would be after it so I was at the store at 7:25am (Lidls open at 8am on Saturdays). I was second in the queue and the guy before me was also after the MyGuide 6500XL. According the manager that store had only been allocated two so I just made it.

I did my homework before I went and knew that the best price anywhere else in the UK was £299 (was £350 not long ago). Even Lidls was asking £249 before Christmas.

According to Lidl's website

http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/pages/c.o.oow.20050519.p.My_Guide_Navigator_6500XL

they are on sale in the south west from this Thursday (19th) so if you fancy a very early start you might bag one Smile .

John.
jwts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightymart wrote:
Also does it have a removable battery, as the Mio 168 does not ???.

Hi,

It doesn't have a removable battery but the small manual that comes with it has some technical notes at the end and one of these is to service people saying the battery must be replaced with exactly the same model. I'm taking that to mean the battery can be replaced but you have to take the machine apart to do it. I suspect it won't be easy or cheap to get the battery though, even if you have the necessary skills to do it yourself.

Also you get a 3 year warranty. I have seen posts that say the battery is not covered but I can't see anything in the warranty that excludes the battery and it is not a user replaceable item so I think it is covered.

Finally, when you use it in the car it is connected to the car battery, so as long as the internal battery has enough power left to hold the RAM memory together when there is no power from the car it should carry on working as a car navigator. The operating system and navigation program are in ROM and the maps are on the SD card so they don't need a battery to keep them safe.

Hope this helps.

John.
mightymart
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John,
I hope your question gets answered because this is what I'm looking for too ,so the more info the better.
I was going to get the Mio but from what I have read a 400 mhz would be better for Sat nav plus the My guide has the SE edition operating system, the only problem is that I am in the south east Sad so no chance of getting one for that price Sad , hopefully they wil sell them my way soon.
RussellS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: MyGuide 6500XL = Mitac Mio 168? Reply with quote

jwts wrote:
However there are small cosmetic differences and ads for the Mio 168 say it has a 300MHz processor while the MyGuide 6500XL claims a 400Mhz processor. Can I be sure that accessories designed for the Mio 168 will work with a MyGuide 6500XL?

Hi John,

I purchased one of these from Lidl on Thursday and have been looking into accesories for it.

From what I've seen, all accesories for the Mio 168 appear to also work for the Myguide 6500XL. All the connectors, indicators and buttons are in the same place. The docking station that came with it also fits the Mio and if you look here....

http://www.handnav.co.uk/product_details.php?id=103

....the active car mount with integrated connector is the same model number listed for both the Mio and the MyGuide (item number 606).

Hope this is helpfull,

Russell
jwts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: MyGuide 6500XL = Mitac Mio 168? Reply with quote

RussellS wrote:
jwts wrote:

I purchased one of these from Lidl on Thursday and have been looking into accesories for it.

From what I've seen, all accesories for the Mio 168 appear to also work for the Myguide 6500XL. All the connectors, indicators and buttons are in the same place.

Russell,

I agree all the evidence points to these two machines being the same thing re-badged. However, I was recently looking at a travel charger for the Mio 168 (interchangeable pins for the mains) and it said it had an output voltage of 5.5v but the charger that comes with the MyGuide says it has a 5v output. This bothers me as the battery is the weak point of the MyGuide (not user replaceable) and you wouldn't want to damage it with the wrong charger.

Regards,

John.
itxweather
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightymart wrote:
Thanks John,
I hope your question gets answered because this is what I'm looking for too ,so the more info the better.
I was going to get the Mio but from what I have read a 400 mhz would be better for Sat nav plus the My guide has the SE edition operating system, the only problem is that I am in the south east Sad so no chance of getting one for that price Sad , hopefully they wil sell them my way soon.

Hi,

Do you know what the difference(s) between the SE edition and non SE edition is/are?. Does the MyGuide 6500XL have a 400MHz CPU or a 300MHz CPU?. I'm a little confused because the Mio 168 has a 300MHz CPU (from what i've been lead to understand) however the Mio 168 and MyGuide 6500XL according to this thread (unless i've misunderstood) are identical just badged differently.

Thank you.
Best Regards.
RussellS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

A friend has a Mio 168 and it has the same mains PSU as my MyGuide, both 5v output. In small PSU's you quite often see 0.5 volt variations depending upon the load. I have just measured the output from my PSU and it is 5.33v without any load).

Russell

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: