Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin GPS V connected to Motorola MPX220 Smartphone?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin GPS V connected to Motorola MPX220 Smartphone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
renninge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Garmin GPS V connected to Motorola MPX220 Smartphone? Reply with quote

hi,
I am trying to get my GPS V connected to my Motorola MPX220 Smartphone with Windows 2003 mobile.
The reason to do this would be to be able to download the Active track log into the cell phone when it is getting too full. Compared to saving it to the GPS unit itself where it will be compressed and reduced to about 250 points.

Anyone has any tips on how to do that ?
Thanks!
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin GPS V connected to Motorola MPX220 Smartphone? Reply with quote

renninge wrote:
Anyone has any tips on how to do that ?

The first problem is that the GPS-V has a serial interface and the phone probably has a USB one only.

Second you would have to find a program to download the data from the GPS-V. I don't know of any for the Smartphone that would do this, though Garmin do publish the API for up/downloading tracks, waypoints and logs.
renninge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Kind of expected Reply with quote

Well that is kind of what I expected.
My other solution would be to bring an other light device like a pocket PC,
any more chances in that area ?

I found cables but no software yet.

Thanks
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Welcome to the forms, by the way. :D

Hmmm, if you could get a Bluetooth <=> serial converter for the Garmin then you would be half way to solving the problem (I presume your phone does BT). You would still have to find or write a program to download the tracklogs though.

Another option is to buy a Bluetooth GPS receiver and bond that with your phone to record the tracklog. Bit of an overkill though and you would be messing around with two GPS receivers and have all the hassle of keeping the batteries charged etc. 8O

Have you considered reducing the track log resolution so it doesn't fill up as quick.

Or buy a Quest which has a 10,000 point tracklog vs the 3,000 on the GPS-V!
renninge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: hum Reply with quote

Thanks,
I do dualsport ride on motorcycle so I have my GPS V with a touratech mount for vibration.

I think I am going toward getting a cheap Pocket PC and a cable then use G7ToCE I guess that would do the job for me.

am I correct ?
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: hum Reply with quote

renninge wrote:
touratech mount for vibration.

Nice piece of kit 8)

Quote:
I think I am going toward getting a cheap Pocket PC and a cable then use G7ToCE I guess that would do the job for me.

From what I have seen of G7ToCE, it should work but I have not used the program.

If you are riding off road then there are a number of topo mapping programs to consider running on the Pocket/Desktop PC too.

There are shareware versions of OziExplorer and Fugawi which are worth a look. I think Ozi can download the wayoints and plot the track on a scanned map that you load. Worth a look if you are getting a Pocket PC or if you want to display the tracks on your PC when you get home. I think you can also create routes from a topo map using Ozi and/or Fugawi and upload them to the Garmin.

Good luck! Thumbs Up

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: