Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Postcodes (did you think we would not notice?)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Postcodes (did you think we would not notice?)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evilution
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its amazing how Tomtom has gone from hero to villain in under a month, being unhelpful, lying to sell the new maps, insisting you buy an overpriced SD card that most of us wont use and adding 2 new roads and calling it a £70 update!

Hopefully they will see the error of their ways and instead of f***ing about with money making extras they will bother with the maps.
tomtomgone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well all its done for me is ensure I NEVER "upgrade" my maps again. That cant be good for TT, and Im sure others feel the same.
rayflan
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New maps on sd card arrived yesterday and used today for the first time. Well I must say best 60 quid I ever spent.
6 out of 8 post codes I navigated to were wrong, (checked postcodes with customers and streetmap). Door to door navigation with full postcode search I think not.
maybe I was just unlucky today but if the postcode data is that inaccurate I will Return maps to tomtom even though they are opened and used- not fit for the purpose or as advertised I think.
Hope things get better
Wishlist
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomtomgone wrote:
Well all its done for me is ensure I NEVER "upgrade" my maps again. That cant be good for TT, and Im sure others feel the same.
You will have to update your maps one day! Now I think TT have committed commercial suicide here in the UK at least! Not many will be so keen to upgrade for a few years now as it just might not be worth it!

Then when maps are released, there may only be a brave minority that will be willing to part with the cash and do the testing prior to the masses buying as they did this time.

But if you wait a few years the Go will be obsolete anyway as by then there will be many more makes / options available on offer.

Looks like a good many will be sending the maps back!

Digital maps will always be behind paper maps because of the amount of work involved to make them work. I believe that everyone is aware and understands that. This upgrade though is way way below what everyone was expecting. No communication from TT was the main problem me thinks!!
Zeena
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Norway and in a lot of other European countrys we do not need postcode search like you guys.

But people upgrade their maps to get updated maps anyway...

Remember that a lot of GO users have a GO because they dont are "advanced" PC users or they dont want to learn PocketPC.
This people is not on this or other forums and they indeed do not know where to find cracked software or most of this poeople do not want to use it.

I have some customers in this category myself, and I gave them a call (yes they do not have e-mail and PC) and fixed the ordering for upgrade for them.

For them is the easyest way or the only option to get ugraded maps with new software etc preinstalled on a SD-card. Plug and GO.

How good the upgrade of the map is is another discusion.... (not TomTom but TeleAtlas issue)

I believe that TomTom have made their desition to meet all their customers, without having a lot of different variants for upgrading etc..

TomTom have made the best choice for all their customers.
Dipstick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I have said before the Go is very good but the company stinks. I have just cancelled my Map Upgrade. I for one will be looking for the Zip to download Illegal or not. I am absolutaly disgusted, I cannot believe Pocket GpS was not aware of this Scam.

Keith
Wishlist
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeena wrote:
Here in Norway and in a lot of other European countrys we do not need postcode search like you guys.

Thanks for your comments but these are as you say not an issue on your maps or of concern to you and you don’t have any experience of our problems. I am struggling to understand why you would comment on them? Sorry.

The upgrade we just had was only just an upgrade although as time passes naturally a few more new additions are found. The fact that it’s taken so long to find them is testimony to how few there are, or were expected more accurately I suspect. Confused

TT gave everyone the opportunity to send the errors in via the web and the masses perception rightly or wrongly was that they would be doing something that would benefit them. Sadly the vast majority were disappointed.

Very few people (if any?) have had the errors that they have taken the trouble to report fixed. QED. If it was made clear that it might be a few years for the errors to be fixed then it would have been fine. But then they would have not bought the maps this time either. Sad
Evilution
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeena wrote:
For them is the easyest way or the only option to get ugraded maps with new software etc preinstalled on a SD-card. Plug and GO.

Its neither the easiest or only way, the easiest would to let us download off a site, next easiest (cheaper) would be on a CD, they did it for the money plain and simple.
Zeena
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - it will be the easyest way for the people I talked about!

Believe me... there is a lot of people in this world who stay away from download and installing, just becaus they are not familiar with it, or does not speak English.
Wishlist
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeena wrote:
Yes - it will be the easyest way for the people I talked about!

Believe me... there is a lot of people in this world who stay away from download and installing, just becaus they are not familiar with it, or does not speak English.

The website is in many languages but most of the UK users (the ones with this issue) speak a fair amount English I would have thought? Even some as far away as Norway do pretty well!

And how are these people that you speak of going to activate the map without a PC anyway?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeena wrote:

Agreed, but from reading this and other Forums it would appear that, in the UK at least, the map upgrading has been a token gesture only. The only apparent item of real worth to the UK has been the Postcode addition. This could have been obtained by a Download purchase for UK users only. By all accounts this works with the old maps also.

If there had been 3 seperate events, (V5 program, Postcode file and map upgrade) users could have made a reasoned judgment on what they wanted or needed.

Most people in the UK rushed for the upgraded maps because of the touted Postcode facility, which on its own is not worth £60.

Zeena wrote:
How good the upgrade of the map is is another discusion.... (not TomTom but TeleAtlas issue)

Here I beg to disagree with you. TomTom as the end supplier has as great a responsibility as anyone, or even greater. To use the car analogy, if a car has a crap component, I go the car manufacturer and ask why he's fitting this crap component. I don't go to the component maker because he will probably say that's what was asked for.

It would have been quite easy for TomTom to ask TeleAtlas to hold back until they had made a reasonable amount of corrections to the maps, to be able to call it an upgrade. At least you can then make a balanced decision on which elemnets you wished to purchase.

I hope TomTom have learnet from this, because there are going to be a lot of wary customers using Navigator who don't want to be caught in this scenario.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Zeena
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Wishlist:

Yes - you are of course right about the languages, and the most of Norwegians do pretty well english...

BTW: You dont need to activate a GO...!? Just plug the card and you are ready.

@ Oldboy:

You are absolutely right. Thanks for making this clear...
bigsinky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

think yourselves lucky guys. in Northern Ireland we don't even have decent maps ffs. i thought the V5 upgrade would sort this out but boy was i wrong !!!
Wishlist
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigsinky wrote:
think yourselves lucky guys. in Northern Ireland we don't even have decent maps ffs. i thought the V5 upgrade would sort this out but boy was i wrong !!!

That reminds me of Peter Cook. He said something like: “The phrase that there is always someone worse off than you cannot be true for everyone. Somewhere at sometime there must be a man that is so badly off that no one else comes close. I would like to meet that man” Laughing
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wishlist how do you mean the post codes dont work could give me more info please as my freinds go 300's postcodes work fine

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: