Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Postcodes (did you think we would not notice?)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Postcodes (did you think we would not notice?)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wishlist
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Postcodes (did you think we would not notice?) Reply with quote

Well here it is then. Everyone is getting close enough now and the maps will be in the new owners hands soon and so they will find out for them selves.

Most of the long term forum users will know how passionate I was about getting the post codes as IMHO the Go was almost unusable in the UK without a huge amount of pre-planning.

So here is the thing. In the new maps there is a file called Zip. In this file is the data for the postcode search. It is not connected to the new maps and will work with the old maps even 314 as long as V5 is loaded. How do you feel about that?

So pretty conclusive that they were about to let us have this file, realised that we all really needed it to make the UK Go’s work correctly, and so pulled it out at the last min and bundled the file with the new maps. Why was there a delay in V5?....now you know. As there do not appear to be many updates on the new maps why else would you fork out your money on them unless the postcode data was there?

I Like Conroyds comment, Pay as you Go!

TT prior to V5 had a massive and loyal following. And V5 is incredibly good even with the bugs. So how come in such a short space of time, even after launching a huge improvement to the firmware, they have managed to turn almost everyone against them with comments of being money grabbers?? This fluff of a decision to move this folder and charge us for it is on par with Ratners “we sell crap comment”.

Did they think that we would not notice? Would we not have all upgraded the maps sooner or later anyway? This decision to take away that folder was (for the UK users at least) a very greedy and unnecessary move towards destroying customer loyalty. I had said in the past that the TTG was could become a cult symbol. Now I think I must have made a typo!
duckie008
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So does this mean that if one was to supply this Zip file to other users to download, then the full postcode search would work without having the new maps? If this is the case, i can see what people are going to do.
Wishlist
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duckie008 wrote:
So does this mean that if one was to supply this Zip file to other users to download, then the full postcode search would work without having the new maps? If this is the case, i can see what people are going to do.
It does mean this but don’t ask me via PM because you won’t get a response! There are plenty of places if you know where to look. There was even some twit on e bay selling this file claiming it turned the classic into a 300! It clearly does not do this but the file will activate the full UK postcodes with V5.
buckman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds interesting! i too have the v5 software but havent yet paid for the map upgrade, as ive heard from some users on here that the new maps are useless?!

What was this file called again? postcode.zip? or just zip?? Wink
HOG
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alas I do not know how to "obtain" this file anyone wish to enlighten me?
theengineerman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too please!!
BanziBarn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me three!
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

I understand the frustrations here, but this is not a forum to request or discuss the acquisition of illegal or pirated software.

Please feel free to criticise TomTom for the decisions they have made, but dont ask for locations of unlicensed software.
Wishlist
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
Guys,

I understand the frustrations here, but this is not a forum to request or discuss the acquisition of illegal or pirated software.

Please feel free to criticise TomTom for the decisions they have made, but dont ask for locations of unlicensed software.

Thanks Mike.

Please really don’t send any PM mails to me either! I was serious in that I will not be sending anyone this file!!
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wishlist, I'm just wondering how you equate the fact that the zipfile isn't connected (I presume you mean tied) to the new maps to being pretty conclusive that they were about to let you have the file?

Presumably Tomtom had to pay for the Postcode data; is there any sound financial reason why they should give it away?
Wishlist
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:

Presumably Tomtom had to pay for the Postcode data; is there any sound financial reason why they should give it away?

Tim, where have you been this last few months?? Did you miss the cbit announcement? Confused
No one would have minded paying a small amount if asked. It’s the way this has been marketed that gets me! Evil or Very Mad

Paying a relatively large amount though for what is mostly the same map and justifying the cost on the fact that it has integrated postcodes that will only work on the new map versions is outrageous! Don’t you think so? You would be in a minority if you did judging by the other forums!
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wishlist wrote:
Tim, where have you been this last few months?? Did you miss the cbit announcement?

I confess to not having read every CeBit announcement that was made. Have you a link I can read? I don't use Tomtom in anger; Navman and Garmin are my poisons, neither of which support full postcodes at the moment. Sad
Wishlist
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
Wishlist wrote:
Tim, where have you been this last few months?? Did you miss the cbit announcement?

I confess to not having read every CeBit announcement that was made. Have you a link I can read? I don't use Tomtom in anger; Navman and Garmin are my poisons, neither of which support full postcodes at the moment. Sad

Now there is another problem here Confused . The bit that said we will be including full postcode search with V5 has been deleted from the websites. 8O

Now you should be getting the picture here about why so many are somewhat miffed!

New maps. Buy them because you will need them to make the postcode data work? Not so.

The maps have been out now and in use by hundreds of users and so far the only changes I have seen people find are the A1 extension and some telephone numbers to the built in POI’s like the petrol stations. I have said elsewhere that this is presumably so you can call up the petrol station to see if it is where TT say it is!

The Go is very good, no one disputes that. The mass of its customers though are classic users. They have been badly let down as many on this and other forums are voicing their views about just this!
calypso
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wishlist wrote:

Now there is another problem here Confused . The bit that said we will be including full postcode search with V5 has been deleted from the websites.

Wish. I was wondering. TomTom also refers to the updated maps as Version 5. Could they have been referring to the maps rather than the software?
Wishlist
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calypso wrote:
Wishlist wrote:

Now there is another problem here Confused . The bit that said we will be including full postcode search with V5 has been deleted from the websites.

Wish. I was wondering. TomTom also refers to the updated maps as Version 5. Could they have been referring to the maps rather than the software?

Ahhh. Now there’s the other thing. There are two versions of the new map. If you are unlucky you get the V562 but the latest is V571. Sad

(New users press the signal bar and then the version 5 box to see your version!)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: