Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Money no object - what's the best CF GPS unit for my iPAQ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Money no object - what's the best CF GPS unit for my iPAQ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadMaxMel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Money no object - what's the best CF GPS unit for my iPAQ? Reply with quote

Hi Guys

I am no expert on GPS, in fact although I have had a Garmin eTrek Vista for around 4 years, I've only just started using it in conjuction with my PocketPC (iPAQ H221) with Memory-Map 2004 (OS mapping / street mapping) and TomTom 3.0 (rout planning) via cable.

My question is which is the best CF GPS card to go for.

These things it must have:

- Quick accquisition
- Strong / reliable signal (preumably 12 channel with SiRFXTac?)

These thins are not issues:

- Battery drain (as I have a 3700mAh battery) or it's on mains
- Cost - although I'm not wanting to get a mortgage for it, I am willing to shell out up to £250 for it
- Loss of CF slot - as I have 1GB SD card with TomTom and Memory-Map maps on

Now I know that some of you might say "read the reviews", however, I don't mean to be critical, but the reviews on CF card GPS units are extremely varied in their approach - some give summaries, some give pros/cons, some give conclusions, some give recommendations others give alternatives, and frankly I find the minefield of differing information confusing, so I would much rather take a personal recommendation from you guys that know best and have used units.

Also, do you think it is worth my waiting for TomTom5 to come out bundled with a CF GPS unit and buy that instead of buying an upgrade from TomTom3 to 5 and a seperate CF GPS unit?

Any advise well recieved.

Thanks

MadMaxMel
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first point would be to query why you wish to use CF rather than BT?

There are many reasons why Bluetooth is a far better solution.
MadMaxMel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren

Quote:
My first point would be to query why you wish to use CF rather than BT?

Specifically because I want a single integrated unit for handheld use on the hills (walking/mountain biking), where a separate BT unit would immediately prohibit this ability.

The main issue I have with my current set-up (eTrek + IPAQ) is the non-integrated aspect of it, not necessarily the cabling issue (which a BT unit would alleviate).

I am after a single unit, so CF or SD (although SD slot is being used for maps) is most suitable, especially since I no longer use the CF slot*

Other than wireless, what other features would BT bring?

More importantly, back to the original reason for the post, do you recommend a particular CF GPS unit?

All help appreciated.

Thanks

MadMaxMel

* I was using the CF slot for a 4GB microdrive to hold WMA music, but that microdrive is now utilised in my Digital SLR and I have a 1GB MP3 player instead - or I could always swap out the SD for music.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an enquiry regarding much the same intended use recently.

A BT one means you can stuff it in a backpack or pocket and leave it running (good models have 10hr + battery). Then you need only pull your PDA out of your pocket when you need to check a position, bearing etc.

With a CF GPS you'll need to walk with PDA/GPS extended at arms length all the time! If you put it in a pocket and lose fix then when you take it out you'll need to wait for a minute or so before the satellites are reaquired again.

As for size, the best BT units are little larger than two packs of matches.
MadMaxMel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren

Thanks, that's really helpful :D

What about coverage/signal on a BT unit?

Is it as good as using say my eTrek Vista (possibly even better?)

I can see the advantage of using BT (especially in the car) - can you leave a fixed aerial permanently in place and just hook it up to the BT unit every time you take it into the car?

On the basis of what you have recommended, would you then recommend obtaining TomTom 5 with BT GPS unit?

Again, thanks, and any more advise gratefully received.

MadMaxMel
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MadMaxMel wrote:
Darren

Thanks, that's really helpful :D

What about coverage/signal on a BT unit?

Is it as good as using say my eTrek Vista (possibly even better?)

I can see the advantage of using BT (especially in the car) - can you leave a fixed aerial permanently in place and just hook it up to the BT unit every time you take it into the car?

On the basis of what you have recommended, would you then recommend obtaining TomTom 5 with BT GPS unit?

Again, thanks, and any more advise gratefully received.

MadMaxMel

BT GPS units tend to be more sensitive than others and the best such as the GlobalSat BT338 with SirFStarIII Chipsets win hands down. I would confidently say they would be at least as good and very possibly considerably better.

No need for an antenna in car, just pop it on the dash or parcel shelf. I'm not sure which GPS will be supplied with TomTom Navigator 5 for PocketPC BT but if it is TomTom's MKII unit this is a SiRFStarIII model and so that would be a definite yes. I have one here and like the BT338 it will happily get a lock in my house where earlier versions would fail. SiRFStarII is also able to aquire in under 10secs.
MadMaxMel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren

One thing though, if, as I sometimes do, only have my jacket with me (sometimes only a suit jacket), and I am roaming the streets of London on foot (no bag - to place said BT unit in), what then?

I have often envisaged using my PocketPC complete with CF GPS unit and Memory-Map Street Atlas (A-Z London) to find my way to where I need to get... a bit poesy/poncy, but nevertheless, a worthwhile use of technology? - In this scenario, what would you recommend?

GlobalSat BT338 in a pocket (not practical?) or a CF version of the same unit?

Thanks again.

MadMaxMel
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MadMaxMel wrote:
Darren

One thing though, if, as I sometimes do, only have my jacket with me (sometimes only a suit jacket), and I am roaming the streets of London on foot (no bag - to place said BT unit in), what then?

I have often envisaged using my PocketPC complete with CF GPS unit and Memory-Map Street Atlas (A-Z London) to find my way to where I need to get... a bit poesy/poncy, but nevertheless, a worthwhile use of technology? - In this scenario, what would you recommend?

GlobalSat BT338 in a pocket (not practical?) or a CF version of the same unit?

Thanks again.

MadMaxMel

Locating it in a pocket is entirely practical, I do just that when travelling in London. Another option is to hang it around your neck on a lanyard. It's a lot more practical then the CF alternative of walking around with the PDA/CF at arm's length desperately trying to get a signal!

BT really shows of its best in such marginal areas as cities, most GPS would be lucky to get a lock much of the time in the urban canyon environment, a SiRFStarIII GPS is much more capable here and whilst the GPS maintains lock in your pocket you can consult the PDA whenever you like then replace it in your pocket without losing signal unlike the CF option.
MadMaxMel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren

Thanks, I'm convinced :D

I'll now wait and see what TomTom5 brings, and got from there, but I can now see that BT is the only sensible option (perhaps one perminantly left in the car - descretely hidden - is also an option).

Thanks for all your assistance.

Cheers

MadMaxMel

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: