Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Stopping during a route
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Stopping during a route

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eqcons
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Stopping during a route Reply with quote

This is driving me mad - anyone know of a solution?
Setup is:

iPaq H6340
TTN3 3.07 (working once I got my COM7 back! Thanks for nothing, TT!)
CheckPOInt 3.2 with appropriate overlays
Parrot CK3300 car kit which includes a BT receiver

Had some initial difficulties, but in general it works, once I persuade the iPaq that there really is data coming from the satellites (which can take several restarts of the iPaq and the car kit). However the problem comes where lets say you plan a journey, and off you go. All is well, but you have to stop for fuel half way through the route. The car has to be turned off, of course, which cuts the car kit, and both BT connections (to the phone and the GPS receiver). Fill up, back in the car, the BT to the phone generally re-connects, but nothing seems to tell the BT to the GPS receiver to reconnect, so TT says, quite rightly, that the GPS position is unreliable. I then have to faff about manually re-making the BT connection to the GPS again - which generally means a warm reboot of the iPaq - before I can carry one. Fair enough, the route starts up again from where it left off, but it's a real pain in the butt-ocks, and a waste of 5 or 10 minutes. Anybody know a solution?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the car kit rewired so that turning off the ignition doesn't cut the power - that's probably the easiest. Simply powering down one side of a Bluetooth connection is never a good idea.

David
eqcons
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
Get the car kit rewired so that turning off the ignition doesn't cut the power - that's probably the easiest. Simply powering down one side of a Bluetooth connection is never a good idea.

David

That one is less than practical David - the battery would go flat! :D

Jim
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no is good idea the battery would only go flat if thbe car was left for 4 or days as the power used is very small only just above the memory for your cars radio if you wired the car kit to a switch then the battery draining would not be a problem at all

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
eqcons
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:
no is good idea the battery would only go flat if thbe car was left for 4 or days as the power used is very small only just above the memory for your cars radio if you wired the car kit to a switch then the battery draining would not be a problem at all

I think the Parrot car kit does have a sizeable power consumtion Alix.

Jim
spile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT3 often locks up if the PDA is turned off. I therefore recommend, exiting TT3 if you need to turn off the PDA or disconnect from external power.

It is not obvious, but when the application is restarted (after power has been resumed) the route is preserved.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jim if you wired a switch in line then it would be ok you car battery will take it for a couple of days of being stood

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds strange as the power to my cig lighter is maintained no matter if the ignition is on or off.

The best solution is to leave it switched on. My wired GPS is always powered up. Remember an ipaq can run for many hours using it's own tiny battery, compare that to a car battery and you'll see how much power is in reserve there, I wouldn't worry about it going flat unless you are going to leave everything powered up for about a week. However even when I'm only a few metres away, and in a locked car, I don't like to leave my ipaq on show!

Such as it is, have you tried switching your ipaq off *before* you switch the ignition off? It may be that will enable a 'clean' shutdown of the bluetooth link then make sure you restore power to your bluetooth receiver before powering the ipaq on again..

As for the route being preserved, that's not my experience, whenever I choose "exit application" and restart you have to plot the route again.
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkHewitt wrote:
My wired GPS is always powered up. I wouldn't worry about it going flat unless you are going to leave everything powered up for about a week. However even when I'm only a few metres away, and in a locked car, I don't like to leave my ipaq on show!.

I don't, so I just remove the XDA II from the cradle with TT still running, put it in it's carry case and take it with me. On return just put it back in the cradle and TT carries on from where it left of. I do this 3 - 4 times a day without any problems.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
virtualm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bluetooth link between your PDA & GPS does not rely on the cigarette power as BT runs using the battery. It sounds as if your timeout when running on battery is low, try changing it to 10-15 mins that should do it!

Some cars don't allow the cig lighter to have power permanently but some do, such as Ford.
dick27d
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same iPaq H6340 and have the exact same problem. When I leave the car for more than 5 minutes, my ipaq turns off and returning in the car he doesnot connect with my BT globasat!!
I have to reboot!!! my ipaq or he won't connect with BT.
(The BT-mouse is still on power.)
Please help
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dick27d wrote:
I have the same iPaq H6340 and have the exact same problem. When I leave the car for more than 5 minutes, my ipaq turns off and returning in the car he doesnot connect with my BT globasat!!
I have to reboot!!! my ipaq or he won't connect with BT.
(The BT-mouse is still on power.)
Please help

My XDA II turns it's screen off after 5 minutes but comes back up as soon as it is put in the cradle. In the power settings menu it is set to turn off the screen after 5 minutes on battery power but never turn off on mains power. Have a look at your power settings.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: